Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Corsair subjobs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Corsair subjobs

Now that the expansion has been out for about 2 months and people have gotten a chance to play all of the jobs fairly in depth, what would you say you prefer in terms of a subjob for Corsair?

I find myself going back to /rng over and over again over /nin. In terms of damage, for some reason I feel having Sharpshot/Barrage outweighs the ability to dual wield daggers with +RACC, especially with Hunter's Roll.

If I had to choose 1 sub for the entirety of my corsair life, /nin

I dont, so /nin, /rng, /war, /whm, and /rdm.

/nin is good if I am pulling a lot of hate, or in a party I dont trust (and I often sub nin in merit pts particularly in mamook staging point for low maintenance and ability to pull and tank adds).

/rng is the best damage output for the majority of your time leveling, but not always feasible or smart.

/war is basically for those with merited marksmanship for merit parties afaik, I wouldnt like my accuracy without /nin or /rng having no merits, let me tell you that.

/whm and /rdm are situational during xp (if you dont have sufficiant healing or dispel 64+), and pretty much standard for hnm type stuff. COR ranged attack on "end game" outside merit parties is... shit.. to say the least.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

IMHO, /nin seems like a complete waste for COR. Without the accuracy bonuses from /rng, they're never going to hit slug shot consistently enough to pull hate. The best CORs I had while leveling ninja recently were always /rng or /whm. The ranger subs seemed by far the best for dealing damage, and the /whm were great for CORs who liked to bard more, ie dice roll and light DD.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

playing cor up to 62 atm

personally i really enjoy /nin sub

once i got slug shot, i've pretty much stuck in TP burn parties, especially on lesser colibri's

/nin has helped in not only keeping me alive during 700-1k slugshots, but also when im pulling mobs constantly....

with sushi ive had very decent returns on accuracy, idont have a parser though wish i did, so i cant tell you exact percents

unless you have all three /rng latent items, i wouldnt really go with a ranger sub personally --
    also with the assault items they introduced.. vision earring + percise belt work 95% just as good imo

but its preference i guess -
    both work and have their advantages.. maybe i'll try /rng one party and see how it goes... though its not fully leveled yet =x

as for /war - yes i agree unless you have alot of merits, i wouldnt recommend this, you sacrifice too much accuracy
    i tried /war when i hit 51 just to see... i went pure attack setup with vulcan staff and r.att gear..... its not fun when you cant hit the mob =/

/rdm and /blm i can see being excellent subs for HNM or other similar activities, ideally if you're in the blm party..... having rdm cor blm blm blm blm not only helps those jobs with buffs a bard cannot do, but also helps your quickshot damage, which would probably be the extent of any damage you deal

ive yet to test to see how resisted quick shot damage affects the enhancement of enfeebles

ninja edit: Cephius im kinda amazed at those cors not landing slugs, curious as to their gear setup.. the accuracy bonus from /nin comes in the form of the another knife
    atm im using chiroptera dagger + archers (ive waited a week for a trailers kukri to pop on the AH but no luck yet , though when i get it it will be trailers/chiroptera giving +26 r.acc )

honestly im not even geared as best as i could be atm and i have no trouble landing slugs...
    i still lack peacock charm, and still working on vision earring + precise belt ...

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I dont have the job unlocked, so I could be wrong, it's just what I've observed while leveling ninja with a bunch of corsairs. Even in colibri parties, I'd say the COR missed slug shot at least half of the time. In a recent sea puk party at 69, the corsair missed 7 slug shots in a row. He was using sushi, and although I didn't check his gear, seemed decent enough. He was ninja sub as well. The corsairs that I've been with that sub RNG seem to do far better for whatever reason, in terms of accuracy.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I hated subbing anything but Ranger for exp parties but I'm finally having to concede in burn parties now I'm 75. The loss of Rapid Shot, Barrage, Sharpshot, a chunk of accuracy, Gunbelt and, to a lesser extent, widescan is so much to give up for shadows. As a support job it's really not that bad in somewhere like Caedarva to just stick with Range sub if you know how to play smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    I dont have the job unlocked, so I could be wrong, it's just what I've observed while leveling ninja with a bunch of corsairs. Even in colibri parties, I'd say the COR missed slug shot at least half of the time. In a recent sea puk party at 69, the corsair missed 7 slug shots in a row. He was using sushi, and although I didn't check his gear, seemed decent enough. He was ninja sub as well. The corsairs that I've been with that sub RNG seem to do far better for whatever reason, in terms of accuracy.
    Though I'd be the last person to argue against subbing Ranger, level 69 against Puks is pretty low for a job who's primary source of attack is B skill. Add to that Puks have flash-ga and can put up blink and it's not really that much of a surprise he missed a weapon skill that's innacurate by it's very description.

This argument is way overdone >.<; I'd wager a guess that it comes out to pure preference and situation. I prefer my /rng so far (COR37), purely for the additional RACC atm, cause missing makes me go /emo! Beater's earring, gun belt, /rng job traits, etc. are not available as /nin. However, I can see where in some situations /nin would be a better choice. Until then though, loving /rng.

How much would you/did you pay for a gunbelt?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I paid 2mil I think. It gets you Slugshot a level early, gives you a chunk of accuracy and damage and lasts from level 30 to level 75.

Whatever you have to pay, get it.

/nin is good for those PTs where you have the potential to pull hate and have to be cure bombed. COR is a support job, it's not suppose to take much hate if any. I used /nin all the way to 75 and now in merit PTs I'm finding that /nin is just horrible. I never pull hate and damage is lacking compared to the times when I was lvling in PTs without 3 wars or something simular. Different PTs pretty much tell you what type of sub you should go as imo. /nin and /rng are the best options - /nin for safety less curing needed for you, and /rng for more damage (+60 mostly) and acc. While I didn't have any problems with /nin til 75 and merits, /rng is clearly the better option.

Gun Belt is nothing short of a godly piece of gear for a corsair.

Get full merits, a Gun Belt, and sub RNG, and you fill a spot akin to a thief--however instead of being hate management+support damage, you're now support buffs with very good and instant damage when necessary.

My SJ Choices:

Until 50: /NIN. Why? Because your ranged attacking really doesn't matter until 53.

At 53, with merits and Gun Belt: RNG only. You can get Slug Shot this early with full merits and Gun Belt.

At 70, you start to find more of the 'burn'/fast kill/whatever PTs. These can be tricky for picking an SJ, and I switch between WHM and RNG as necessary. If there's no bard, you better believe I'm going /WHM. If the bard goes /nin, I go /whm then as well. If I have a BRD/WHM in the PT, I typically prefer /RNG.

Time to hijack. Are COR worthwhile outside of XP parties? Tested blue mage roll and with a BLU in the party a normal roll only get 8% magic defence, so pretty unspectacular. Is black mage + red mage roll good enough to make them worthwhile in a BLM party in something like Ouryu or Dynamis? Is Chaos Roll worth doing even IN an XP party at 75? SAM + MNK roll seems decent, anything that reduces the amount of TP given to the mob between bursts would seem like a good idea.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Last time I checked, Refresh is great in or out of XP parties.

Blm party:

Blm X 4, Rdm, and Cor for buffs, then kick Cor (send to Melee party) get Brd after buffs to get ballads

Blms were able to do more dmg and less resists with Blm and Rdm rolls, personally I know I did, and should only get better once AF comes out that may help with roll effects even more.

Melee party:

War, War, Sam, Thf (TH lol), Cor, Whm

Watch Cor mpk the wars specially with Thf and War roll (Double attack and Crit hits are sexy, period), and lets not forget about that Sam that will benefit from the increase in his DA rate (Brutal earring and War roll help out alot, saw our sam DA during a SA WS, was very nice). Again, same comment here as for the mage party, can only get better if the AF does give bonusses to rolls/effects.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    Time to hijack. Are COR worthwhile outside of XP parties?
    Yes.

So far on my Corsair I have done a few HNM events and felt very, very satisfied with the results as have some of the members of my LS that directly benefited from it.

http://www.ls-caffeine.com/russta/vrtra03_lightshot.jpg

Naturally I'm not pulling that off all the time but TP less damage that enhances debuffs every three minutes is going to add up over time. In our recent Vrtra party, it was COR, SMN, SMN, SMN, SMN, SMN and I was immediately doing more than a Bard can by giving a higher refresh that lasts longer, takes less time to sing and generates less hate overall. I was then using my second slot for Beast Roll and raising the damage curve of all five Garuda's a modest amount. So, as Corsair, I raise the damage of the main source, give a potential 200+ damage every three minutes, enhance any DoT of that element on it (in this case, Dia II) and give more than a Bard can in the same slot without dying horribly.

Last night was the first time I went "whoa" at something Corsair could do. Against Jailer of Faith, I wind shotted him while Gravity was on and he slowed down noticeably. Not incredible but it's kinda helpful and adds to a Corsair's stock of being excellent for kited mobs. My damage was 50 a shot while he was open, 30 while closed at level 74 with Ranger sub and using sushi. Pretty weak damage but add it with my quick draw damage and the fact I can hit very consistently without having to chase him like an idiot and it soon stacks up to pretty respectable levels.

I've done Jailer of Prudence in the Black Mage party twice and they seemed quite satisfied with the results. I have everyone's damage but my own filtered so I can't make a great comparison in that regard.

Oh and some damage shots for the sake of it (even if someone is gonna go LOLFLYINGMOB) done at level 74;

http://www.ls-caffeine.com/russta/778barrage.jpg

http://www.ls-caffeine.com/russta/1191slug.jpg

Go go summarizing my entire next LJ post on BG!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I hope you got screens of the guardia dmg after lucky roll, that was hot.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Russta

Oh and some damage shots for the sake of it (even if someone is gonna go LOLFLYINGMOB) done at level 74;

778barrage.jpg

1191slug.jpg

Were those from last nights PT? Because to be fair you should say it was on flying mobs with 2 BRDs pumping you full of goodness.

lol @ your sig

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    2 mil >.<; Worth every gil too imo. I try to look at it this way, I won't have to buy another belt as long as I sub RNG!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Awoir
    Quote Originally Posted by Russta

778barrage.jpg

1191slug.jpg

Were those from last nights PT? Because to be fair you should say it was on flying mobs with 2 BRDs pumping you full of goodness.
    Nah, it was from two days back. Not quite sure how to explain why but my damage with two Bards was less than with just one.

Dia II ftw?