+ Reply to Thread
    Banned.

BG Level

Another PC problem thread.

I need to update my BIOS, so my windows will load after I installed this new ethernet card.

I'm going to just copy what I asked on a dead-ish PC board. Sorry if I sound a little, uh... yeah. Anyway, thanks for anyone who can help.

Thanks for any help.

Anyway here is my situation...

My Ethernet card broke recently. So I went a replaced it with a newer one. After instaling it(as in putting it into my PC and downloading drivers from the CD), I was told to restart my PC, so I did. When I tried getting on Windows got... weird. It would either free before the log in screen would load, on the log in screen, while logging in, or the second I logged in(on my desktop). I tried several times, got frustrated and finally called the company. btw, it is a D-Link DFE-530TX+.

I was told this problem happened because I needed to update my BIOS. The service support also told me that removing the card would let me load my PC. Well, I tried to find out which kind of motherboard I have, so I removed the card, booted up, but same problem. So after looking on the BIOS screen and my physical harddrive I'm come to see that it is VIA K8M800(so says the BIOS screen) and KV-80(so says the physical motherboard).

Since I simply can not connect on the internet for, I thought I could do some computer voodoo magic to get it on the floppy and boot from the floppy. I've been reading on how to do this on the "BIOS Upgrade Guide" on the ABIT site, but getting the files to the floopy, flashing it, and clearing CMOS data has me pretty intimidated.

Could anyone be of help? If possible, I need it soon, so I can get on by tonight. Please note I'm bad at this so you'll have to be simple.

Thanks a lot!

PS. On BIOS is says exactly:
    (K8M800-8237-6A7L1A1DC-12)

Banned.

BG Level

PS.

Okay, so I'm formating the floppy on another PC right... after doing so, I get a bunch of files(DISPLAY, KEYB, KEYBRD2, MODE, EGA, EGA2 ect). What I want to do is copy the BIOS files(ABITFAE, awdflash, KV80_18, KV80_19[text file], RUNME) currently in a folder to that one. Not sure how this process works. Should I delete the files currently on the foppy or leave them? Will they effect anything?

Banned.

BG Level

Sorry to triple post... but...

okay... I've done every right until the last step it seems. When I try to boot the PC I get stopped before windows attempts to load(or it checks my crap) by cmos not being corrected(far from exact words) or something. I tried switching its position to "2-3" oppose to "1-2" where is starts to 'discharge the data' while the power is off. It has not been working for me. Can anyone help or knows anyone who can help they can ask?

EDIT: Its "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded"

And it appears right after it shows the "IDE Channel 1 Master/Slave/ect". It won't let me hit DEL to enter setup or F1 to continue...

Are you using a USB keyboard? Sometimes USB devices won't work. Happens to me if I clear CMOS sometimes. Try using a regular keyboard.

Banned.

BG Level

omg haha... in all that panic I'm in, I didn't notice my keyboard plug fell out...

I'm pretty concerned about the error though... how exactly do I deal with this? Is it possible the BIOS I downloaded was wrong? Is this backlash from doing the formatted floppy wrong? what else could it be?

EDIT: Okay.. ugh.

I switched the boot order and no more error! Yay! So after I all this crap and all the heartattacks, I boot up windows... everything looks perfect... then it freezes before the log in window appears... MY ORIGINAL FUCKING PROBLEM. Maybe now it is because of the new BIOS or is it still because BIOS can't read the new driver or whatever BS reason it was. Why the hell didn't I just get a USB ethernet cord. If anyone could help me, a million bleesings... I'm becoming emo.

EDIT 2: The Epic Continues....

I take out the Ethernet Card. Load it up... get to half-way writing my password before it freezes. Try again, freezes while Windows it um... bar with the purple line thing... crap... anyway, so I shut it off then and try to reboot, this time I get hit with: Windows did not start correctly.. blah blah, would you like to refeer to its last working configuration? So obviously I hit and now I'm finally logged into my PC. HURRAY.

Point is... I still want to try to get the ethernet card to work... should I try to install the drivers again? Unless someone says "NOOOOO!", I'm going to try again. Because apparantly I enjoy pain.

Flashing your BIOS just for an ethernet card? I've never heard of such a thing.....

Well i'm sure you've already done this, but you don't need a floppy disc to flash your BIOS. Abit has its own BIOS flashing utility. found http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=238

There, that's also your motherboard. You'll need to download the "flash utility" then use that with the file from your motherboard.

give that a shot

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

unless it's for something special, why are you installing the driver in anything outside of windows? Do you need to use it in a command line enviroment or something?

And I agree with denchi, flashing your bios for a NIC is pretty over the top.

Banned.

BG Level

What was I doing, as far as I know, was upgrading my BIOS. Then I revert windows back to a time it worked, so I guess without the new drivers. Then I put in the new card and downloaded the drivers via "Add Hardware" from the CD. Then it says "Code 10 This doesn't work" or something. On the device manager it shows a yellow !. I called their support, downloaded(transfered via CD-RW) the newest driver and moved it to another PCI slot. Still the yellow !. I'm out of ideas ;o.

And the reason I had to use my floppy because windows wouldn't start.