+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Router Selection     submit to reddit submit to twitter

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Router Selection

I'm looking for a router to buy, but there are alottt of routers out there that disconnect ffxi every 5-10 minutes for no reason. Can anyone please post the router/model they have that doesn't experience this problem.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Anything from Linksys or DLink will suit you fine. http://www.tigerdirect.com and you can find one for under 50$

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thx for the reply, but currently i have a RT31P2 linksys router and that disconnects like crazy every 5-10 minutes. If you would google (RT31P2 disconnect) my model you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.

(PS: Tried new drivers, firmware, port forwarding, dmz, port triggering, etc; still disconnects and it's not comcast lol)

Forum Donator
    BG Level

I have a Linksys Cable Gateway Router/Modem all in one unit and it has never let me down.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

WRT54G

This is a die hard Linksys 4 port router/switch with wireless. It has never failed me yet. Never have an issue with it disconnecting or losing IPs. I can play FFXI on 3 machines at once without an issue. It will run you about $60, but you can often find them on sale. This thing is damn near plug-n-play.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Anything that supports flashing to DD-WRT.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/

dont get netgear. linksys is most user friendly, dlink is fine too. you are probably setting it up incorrectly.

Agreed. I've had many issues with my Linksys, but I know its caused by the idiot upstairs who thinks he knows what he's doing and plugs the DSL cable into the phone jack port, etc. The router itself works good.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

router? HEY GUYS

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    WRT54G

This is a die hard Linksys 4 port router/switch with wireless. It has never failed me yet. Never have an issue with it disconnecting or losing IPs. I can play FFXI on 3 machines at once without an issue. It will run you about $60, but you can often find them on sale. This thing is damn near plug-n-play.
    Routing UDP packets is hard..

We own about 100 or so WRT54GL routers... they have 16 megs of ram, linux already on them, and own pretty hard for $50. It really is amazing and if you need to do something a little "different" it is easy to throw openwrt on them.

WRT54GS on the other hand is a total PoS and I wouldn't suggest anyone get that.. don't be fooled by SPEEDBOOSTER(tm).. that router has less ram, doesn't run linux out of the box.. and the worst part is the only way microwaves can transmit data faster is by sacrificing range for speed. Kind of dumb when you consider that the purpose of wireless is to roam further away than a cable is practical :/

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin
    router? HEY GUYS
    I <3 my Belkin switch, screw routers.