Thread: 10th Dimension     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I read this site alot, http://www.fullmoon.nu/book/

Anyone who enjoyed the video in the first post will probably enjoy reading this.

This article specifically is the one that turned me onto the site, it's rather good.

http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

This shits cool, im gonna buy taht book

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Reminds me of that "What the *bleep* do we Know?" movie that preached quantum physics and other highly theoretical sciences. It's really fascinating stuff, really. It's almost like a religious science, where you're asked merely to concieve the posibilities rather than prove them through the scientific method (as, indeed, how could you?). I'm not sure we'll ever truly find some of the answers, but there have been a lot of good stories based on string theory, Star Trek being the most well known.
    pfft... thats what I was talking about too! great minds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWT3wo_vWw
    That is fucking trippy. The only explanation I can conclude with is that the electron only appears to be acting like that because our observation techniques aren't advanced enough to comprehend that the electron is indeed going through both slits. Maybe perhaps, it is happening so fast that we can't observe it because if it acts infinitely fast then it going faster than light and thusly faster than our time can grasp it. Idk if I made sense right there, but I think you can make sense of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Reminds me of that "What the *bleep* do we Know?" movie that preached quantum physics and other highly theoretical sciences. It's really fascinating stuff, really. It's almost like a religious science, where you're asked merely to concieve the posibilities rather than prove them through the scientific method (as, indeed, how could you?). I'm not sure we'll ever truly find some of the answers, but there have been a lot of good stories based on string theory, Star Trek being the most well known.
    pfft... thats what I was talking about too! great minds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWT3wo_vWw
    That is fucking trippy. The only explanation I can conclude with is that the electron only appears to be acting like that because our observation techniques aren't advanced enough to comprehend that the electron is indeed going through both slits. Maybe perhaps, it is happening so fast that we can't observe it because if it acts infinitely fast then it going faster than light and thusly faster than our time can grasp it. Idk if I made sense right there, but I think you can make sense of what I mean.
    I think the point that the video was trying to make wasn't how it was doing it but why it changes characteristics under observation.

personally, I get what the guy is saying, but he's naming the 4th-10th dimensions incorrectly. They are more or less just frames of references instead of actual dimensions.

The first three dimensions are that of physical, length, width, and depth. Very hard to disprove that. Those three dimensions are measurable without any stretch of the imagination, merely by physical quantification.

Time as a 4th dimension gets harder to justify. More or less, as I've thought about it, its just a reference tool to predict/record events and quantities. You can't physically grasp it, can't willfully manipulate save for once, and different cultures/societies could measure time differently if they so choose to. Day/hour/second measurements are human created, not something set into reality.

5th and above, are just again references of how you might perceive the previous 'dimensions'. These perceptions could vary from wherever you might view them, changing. I personally don't see how you can justify these different perceptions/groupings as an individual dimension.

Regardless of what you may call these dimensions, the manner in which he shows you what these perceptions are seem to be accurate. If I ever see the book, I do wanna see where he got his sources from, since I remember reading I think a book a long time ago regarding the same spiel. Lot of Einstein references if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais
    personally, I get what the guy is saying, but he's naming the 4th-10th dimensions incorrectly. They are more or less just frames of references instead of actual dimensions.

The first three dimensions are that of physical, length, width, and depth. Very hard to disprove that. Those three dimensions are measurable without any stretch of the imagination, merely by physical quantification.

Time as a 4th dimension gets harder to justify. More or less, as I've thought about it, its just a reference tool to predict/record events and quantities. You can't physically grasp it, can't willfully manipulate save for once, and different cultures/societies could measure time differently if they so choose to. Day/hour/second measurements are human created, not something set into reality...
    Actually what standered you use to measure time it emperically exists and is quantifiable by the constant of the speed of light. Doesn't matter what culture you are from or how you divide time, that constant is the final measuring stick.

Groovebox

For anyone enjoying the the movie, "What the fuck do we know?"... think again... A few of the "experts" used in the film are, drum roll please...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramtha

Basically, the movie is a bunch of psuedoscience bullshit :O Oh, and the 3 directors of the movie are members of Ramtha.

Time is just as measurable as length, width and depth.

Also, just becuase we haven't gotten to where we can 'grasp' time, doesn't mean it's impossible.

I always think about how before radio waves were found, people never paid any attention to them. But they were always there. We just never noticed them.

WTF else is out there that we just haven't found yet.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

WTF else is out there that we just haven't found yet.
    Levitation...

See: Hutchison effect, Anti-gravity, Magnetic levitation

Mass Consciousness and its effects…

Remote Viewing...

Of course that's all crazy talk...<_< >_>

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    I bought the book. (*'-')b
    Tell me what proof they have that time is the 4th dimension? I didn't really buy it when they explained it on flash movie.
    Calling time the fourth dimension is just a misnomer brought about by the advent of Minkowski space-time. In Minkowski space-time, three-dimensional space is represented in two dimensions leaving the third dimension available to represent time. The speed of light is represented as moving at 45 degrees, and therefore as a cone from the point of origin. Normal matter (otherwise know as baryons) can only travel within that cone since standard Relativistic Physics does not allow for travel over the speed of light. (Tachyons can travel outside of the cone though, but they are a horse of a different color.) Basically people saw time represented like space and mistakenly thought that it was the same thing.

But to the main topic of the thread.

An interesting proposal that I have heard about is that time is also poly-dimensional; this would allow for alternate timelines existing in the exact same "x", "y", "z" space and same "z" time, but having a different "x" and/or "y" time would allow them to exist concurrently.

Alternate universes are probably not as interesting as people would believe them to be. Schrödinger events are quite mundane and boring, the decay of radioactive materials are about the only truly random (AKA not pseudo-random that can be explained by causality) events that would cause a divergent timeline. For the most part, Earths that are close to each other would be virtually indistinguishable since the particles that decay would have little to no influence on events, other than perhaps small mutations if an animal was in the right range to be hit. Over a large amount of time that could cause a fairly large divergence between timelines.

Demosthenes is correct that the act of time travel (if it is possible) would create alternate timelines. Time would diverge at the moment that the traveler reentered the timestream since that event had not happened on the traveler's original timeline. He is also correct that to an observer from outside of our space-time complex everything has already happened, but that is just the ultimate extension of relativity and has no bearing on time travel. What is he incorrect about is that time travel to the past or future would not be very easy, and the whole "sliding" thing. (Sliding is just a different from of time travel, just think of it as a sideways quantum leap instead of backwards or forwards.) But mad? No.

I miss HPS classes...

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Demosthenes is correct that the act of time travel (if it is possible) would create alternate timelines. Time would diverge at the moment that the traveler reentered the timestream since that event had not happened on the traveler's original timeline. He is also correct that to an observer from outside of our space-time complex everything has already happened, but that is just the ultimate extension of relativity and has no bearing on time travel. What is he incorrect about is that time travel to the past or future would not be very easy, and the whole "sliding" thing. (Sliding is just a different from of time travel, just think of it as a sideways quantum leap instead of backwards or forwards.) But mad? No.
    http://www.scifi.com/freezone/slider...s/5_vortex.jpg

I watched Groundhog's Day and Back to the Future and those movies didn't help me

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais

Time as a 4th dimension gets harder to justify. More or less, as I've thought about it, its just a reference tool to predict/record events and quantities. You can't physically grasp it, can't willfully manipulate save for once, and different cultures/societies could measure time differently if they so choose to. Day/hour/second measurements are human created, not something set into reality.

5th and above, are just again references of how you might perceive the previous 'dimensions'. These perceptions could vary from wherever you might view them, changing. I personally don't see how you can justify these different perceptions/groupings as an individual dimension.

Regardless of what you may call these dimensions, the manner in which he shows you what these perceptions are seem to be accurate. If I ever see the book, I do wanna see where he got his sources from, since I remember reading I think a book a long time ago regarding the same spiel. Lot of Einstein references if I remember right.
    How exactly can you contradict yourself that harshly? Do you not understand that all units of measurements in any span were human created? If you want to argue that day/hour/second was created by humans, then how can you argue against the same thing for time?

gfdljgljlhldkgh http://goldennumber.net -- this shit is intense though, for optimistics onry <_<