Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

Why is Brenner so unpopular?

So many people I know don't even know it existed until I told them about. The experience point reward for an official uncapped match isn't bad. It's only a short walk from Al Zahbi's Warp Taru. You can seek for party while you do it. It is x5 times better than Ballista.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

http://images.somepage.com/ffxi/icons/16555.jpg

But seriously, rewardless time sinks are never popular. Ballista isnt even popular on asura, nor is Diorama.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It has too many nerfs. I used to go occasionally to ballista/brenner, but multi-hit ws nerf made it pointless to go. It was fun to one-shot a taru, and now I can't do that anymore.

Banned.

BG Level

I don't see how they are time sinks though. Ballista/Brenner are the most pick-up-and-play things in the game, at least if it was done a lot.

LS Liga sounds freaking awesome. I reserved the second(the real first, because the guy who reserved the first was a moron) Brenner match on my server. I only let it people from end-games LSes in. It was like 15 vs 15 of smart players and it was amazingly fun. Funner than any HNM or mission fight.

The idea of LSes doing LS Liga, with 15 v 15, giving each member a role and a strategy would be truly excellent.

Dammerung, are you a MNK? It's still very easy to murder tarutarus as a MNK, NIN, or WAR. Just more melee hits and interupting their casting.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Provoke is fucking gay, and the game rules are dumb. Same with ballista. Any PvP that boils down to two teams looking at eachother just out of casting range, anyone who dares to run over to try and complete the objective getting gang raped, is pointless.

/duel, on the other hand, would be an immesurable success.

Edit: Diorama is slightly less gay, even though it boils down to mages chasing mages, melees chasing mages, and everyone running away from monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

But seriously, rewardless time sinks are never popular. Ballista isnt even popular on asura, nor is Diorama.
    Its fun. Fun = time sink? How jaded are you man...

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

Its fun. Fun = time sink? How jaded are you man...
    It's fun to you maybe, not to me. It's incredibly boring.

Here's how it works.
    All the melee on team 1, stay in their post.
    All the melee on team 2, stay in their post.

Each team patiently awaits for the "moron" to cross the line so they can gangrape.

Oh and ballista, same thing, except they shouldnt call it ballista, they should call it "How fast can you put up utsesimi". I was on my RDM vs a pld/nin mnk/nin and a nin, they were all running away because i'd cyclone their shadows and silence them. It's boring. People run.

BORING + REWARDLESS TIME SINK = I'm not touching it.

Kind of like how you think dynamis sucks and I dont, same thing goes here, except I know if there was a reward to ballista, it'd be fun. 200-400 xp is 2-5 kills meriting, that's hardly a reason to play for me.

If it was fun, i'd be there everyday, but it's not (TO ME).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The multi-hit WS nerf clinched it for me. Fuck Ballista, and fuck Brenner.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

imo Brenner is even more gay than Ballista

In Brenner most ppl dont even care from start if they die or not....

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Me + a few others from my LS enjoy ballista when theres nothing going on from time to time.

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zdw6dg.jpg

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

In Ballista, you might have people lining up and waiting for others to do something.

In Brenner? Wtf? I am constantly moving and attacking. I'm one of those people who doesn't care if they die, I am attacking the flames at all times. I'm not the only one and once you get 4-5 people at a flame things get difficult. You can't sleepga people not in a party so you have to deal with them all separately...

I think I'm going to try and get back into ballista, just noticed JP's were playing last night but I logged on in the middle of a match so I think I'll go out and have some fun.

Banned.

BG Level

I don't think you've been in many matches of brenner where it was played correctly. It doesn't matter if you die in Brenner, all it does is make it easier for the opposing team to defend their ovens or easier to attack yours. Its 1500 exp reward for a whole match of brenner(500 exp x 3), not exactly worth its time when compared to a merit party, but then again, that's not a fair comparison, as the exp bonus is only bonus.

I fail to see how it is a time-sink. Dynamis, even if enjoyed, is a time sink. Brenner(and Ballista) is as short as you want it to be and you get a constant reward for the time you put it in. Not to call this Dynamis vs PvP, just saying they are so different.

Doesn't explain why Brenner is so unpopular. It's easy to do, can be fun, a decent reward, can do while seeking, has great potential on a LS vs LS level, and is PvP.

EDIT: I'm amazed on how much people reliabled on Multi-WSes. WSes still do pretty damn good damage(cept, now its in of worth doing WSes with side-effects) and any melee can murder a mage with normal attacks (lolstoneskin).

/NIN isn't even a big deal unless its you vs a /NIN alone. If you are with a group with half a brain, someone will do a -aga(or if alone, a subjob that equips you with such) and someone will pin Silence or the character will get mobbed and he won't get the chance to put it back up.

PvP isn't perfectly balanced, but it is a hell-of-alot more balanced than any party or end-game situation. /WHM, /SAM, /NIN, and even /THF can be used as effectively as /NIN in PvP. DRG doesn't suck, they have extremely powerful 'sneak attack' potential with their Jumps. If you have such a problem with sleep, you can actually pay(or free if unofficial) the herald to nerf sleep, and no one will even feel it save BRDs.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Your point fell to pieces when you said "played correctly". That will not happen in anything but PvP fanatic LS mate only matches. The other 99.99999% of the time people stand out of casting range and wait for someone to cross the point of no return, and that's the entire match.

Brenner is fun with enough people. I hardly ever see enough people.

Banned.

BG Level

Your point fell to pieces when you said "played correctly". That will not happen in anything but PvP fanatic LS mate only matches. The other 99.99999% of the time people stand out of casting range and wait for someone to cross the point of no return, and that's the entire match.
    By played correctly, I mean people paying attention to the actual point of the game, nothing complex, though LS Liga being played correctly can raise the fun to a new level.

And I'm going to assume you mean sleep on that range thing. Sleep is easy to resist if you actually try to do something about it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ballista seems popular enough on asura. Dunno what you're going on about.
    It is quite different from other things in FF. I thought the cookie cutter way to play mnk was to sub sam and use asuran fists on blinkers though?

Banned.

BG Level

Brenner =/= Ballista.

Brenner seemed to fix on all that was bad about Ballista. Easy to get to, more tactical importants, more teamplay, and let spaming /quarry. MNK/SAM isn't as cookie cutter as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Brenner is fun with enough people. I hardly ever see enough people.
    Invite me to play

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Dawnbringer

I remember people raving about how super awesome Brenner was when it first came out, and then the next week nobody ever talked about it again. What happened? I forgot it even existed until this thread reminded me.

FFXI PvP would really need a lot of low-level work for it to be enjoyable, IMO. I'm not really talking about stuff like rule changes to the Ballista etc, but rather heavy changes to the game mechanics themselves. I'm going to hold up Blizzard's PvP system in that MMO they made as an example of what makes PvP fun -- every class has to manage their cooldowns, crowd control skills, and counter-abilities properly to really excel. FFXI is kind of lacking in this--it always feels like I'm playing a game of Magic: the Gathering with only two or three different cards in the deck. In (Blizzard's MMO), every class has a few aces up their sleeve, which makes the flow of battle much more dynamic. In FFXI, the correct tactic is either A) Recast Utsusemi, or B) Cast Sleepga to clear Utsusemi.

(Standard "I mentioned that other MMO" disclaimer: I don't give a shit whether or not you think one game or the other "sucks", take it to the GameFAQs forums.)

When BSTs can charm other players FFXI PvP will be well worth the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast