Thread: Help me out ; Car issues     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Help me out ; Car issues

So I've had the money for a new car for some time now but I've been shopping around and my uncle recently bought a scion but got a job in chicago and desided to sell it, me having the money for it im thinking of picking it up off him. I currently drive a 98' Jeep cherokee that is a total piece of shit, so its time to get a new car. I currently get around 10-12 miles to the gallon, which I totaly cant afford to keep up.

So now to my question, do you think I should buy this new car? Its 280$ a month, and gets around 35-40 miles per gallon [iirc, its somewere around there I acually forget the exact number.]

A picture of the car:
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/648...woot6ik.th.jpg

note: I know its ugly as sin but think its worth it and I can just get past the fact its a lunchbox on wheels?

Im not really good with this kinda stuff hence; why im asking >_<;
    thanks

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Man i hate those models, but i love the TC's. I have a weird man love for hondas though. It's a toyoto though, so i dont think you can go wrong...id shop around though...

Also, it's what...$280 a month for...5 years?

Friend of mine has a limited version of that, it's orange, only made 2000 of them. It's real reliable though from what I hear from him, it's not too ugly...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I think so I dont know how much he has payed off, I would be taking over his payments but yes I think 5 years.

edit: also its a stick (i usually am not a fan of sticks but this one I acually had ALOT of fun driving it )

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You might wanna check into some certified pre-pwned cars from authorized dealerships if you don't have a hard-on over the styling of that car. Cheap, reliable, fuel-efficient cars are a dime a dozen now-a-days...find something you like...you'll be stuck with it for a few years.

Edit also: Stick shifts = better gas milage. After you drive a stick for a few months, everything comes as naturally as an automatic. Every car ive had has been a manual.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I can get over the looks I really dont care about it tbh but is it a deal? is it worth 280$? I am really really bad at shopping of any kind :/ I dont mind the inside of the car its an unbeleavably fun thing to drive, I just dunno if its worth that much a month :/

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Check out insurance quotes too, sometimes that's more than the payments themselves >.> Give or take a grand or two, your looking at 15,000 bucks.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

full coverage insurance - payed for not even an issue as long as that goes

lol only one that knows is you. With your financial situation and how good your job is, decide.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

you can get a nice Mazda 3 for a cheap price.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

lol only one that knows is you. With your financial situation and how good your job is, decide.
    my financial situation = im 17, but I graduated highschool and am getting ready to head off to college, which I have to pay for, but as a trade off my parents pay my car insurance[full coverage]. So, I just need to know if its worth the 280$ or is that abit expensive for this type of car? is there something I can pay 280 for with better gas millage that is preferably a stick? sorry I am really really really bad at shopping lol >_< I will eather overspend for something that I dont need or pass up an offer that I wont ever be able to beat, thats why I am asking. thanks in advance.

another edit: I make about 1,000$ a month I think.[after taxes and current expences] ><

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

digression: where do you work in chicago?

sorry I don't know much about cars

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

I'd go for a cheapie new car from a dealership if you think you can afford $280 a month. Go for a Focus/Taurus/Saturn/Lumina or whatever the "average" car is from your maker of choice AND get the extended warranty. I do not recommend buying a car based on its looks or how attracted you are to it until you're out of college and have a stable job. My taurus doesn't get me all the ladies but it doesn't suck ass or gas. Which in turn gives me more money to buy grass...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Okay thanks for your help everyone Ima sleep on it >_< just taking everything into account :3

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

that car's ugly. dont do it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

don't buy a new car. don't buy a car you have to finance.

I bought a new car out of high school, insurance was just as much as the payments were. I tried to go to college and work full time, that didn't work. Granted, I have to pay for my car and insurance, and you only have to pay for car, but still. If you're planning on going to college, its not worth getting sucked into something like that out of high school. I'd keep your piece of shit car, or save up a bit and get a more reliable piece of shit car. I just don't recommend buying a new car.

That's just my experience though. Too much for me to handle. ; ;

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

sadly thats just it tho I need a new car to get there and home on the weekends >.> I just want to know if this is worth the moneys.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Seno, unless your current car is literally falling apart, I'd just wait a few years. You can get a reliable used car for pretty cheap, and unless you really think that the cost of gas will rape you, just keep what you have. You'll want the extra cash for expensive things that inevitably come up in college... like beer, girls, bars, and other such wonders of higher education.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

No...its not worth $280 a month. You can bet a BMW 3 series for that kind of money if you play the game. Granted, it won't have all the bells and whistles....but it is still a BMW.

Out of HS, you do not want to get into a new car. The depriciation is just oo much for you to handle at that time. With the exception of some european models, most cars lose $5k-8k in value the second you drive it off the lot.

If you need a reliable vehicle for the upcoming years, look for a nice used car. Honda Civic's come to mind. The are very reliable, low maintence, cost little to repair, and get good milage. Nissan's also do well in these categories. Volvo 8 series are also a good buy, and have the added bonus of being fucking tanks (and contrary to most european models, they are not that expensive to repair if needed). Mazda's tend to run along time as well. You can easliy find any of the above for under 10k, most times alot lower, and they will last you for several years (easily all through college).

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I have a 1995 honda civic with 220,000 miles that runs like a dream, and has never seen a mechanic other than regular scheduled maintances.