+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fucking Dell     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fucking Dell

Ok this is the second time that my CPU fan has fucked up on this POS Dell, and faced again with the impossible task of finding a NEW fan that wasn't pulled from a dead machine and sitting in someones humid garage for 6 months then put on Ebay.

It's a Dell Dimension 4400. Anyone have any clue where I could get a *NEW* CPU fan from?

PS I fucking hate Dell.

Re: Fucking Dell

Quote Originally Posted by Tape
    It's a Dell Dimension 4400. Anyone have any clue where I could get a *NEW* CPU fan from?
    I had that as my old computer and anyone from my LS would remember the PSU fan whenever I was on vent. Since then I've moved to a new computer because it sounded like it was dying every second it was on.

Anyway, idk much about dell CPU fans. I would just get a new computer if I were you (if that's possible)

A $10 fan breaks and I have to get a whole new computer? That kinda seems harsh.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Not sure what fits a dell and what won't, but if you haven't looked already
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Categ ... ategory=11

Another good site is zipzoomfly. I ordered almost all my PC components from there.

edit: not that familiar with dells, but do they use their own proprietary made fans, or do they use some other fan? Last time I opened a dell, it was rediclous lots of custom parts to prevent you from upgrading yourself, lots of cheap plastic tabs that if attempted to open, would just break.

I'd take a look at your heatsink(cpu fan) and see if theres any distinguishing marks on it, manufactuerer. If it says dell on it, chances are you'll either have to send it out to them or order the part from them.

edit: Found dell's "community forums"
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums ... =dim_other

maybe you can find some info there

The Dazzler
    BG Level

There's a ton of socket 478 (pretty sure that's what that has in it) heatsinks out there. Unless it's got some sort of crazy air channeling system and/or some weird proprietary system of attaching the heatsink you'd just have to check clearance to make sure it would fit (I'm guessing some of the Zalman ones for example probably wouldn't fit in a Dell case/setup).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Budd Lite
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by djzombie
    Not sure what fits a dell and what won't, but if you haven't looked already
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Categ ... ategory=11

Another good site is zipzoomfly. I ordered almost all my PC components from there.

edit: not that familiar with dells, but do they use their own proprietary made fans, or do they use some other fan? Last time I opened a dell, it was rediclous lots of custom parts to prevent you from upgrading yourself, lots of cheap plastic tabs that if attempted to open, would just break.

I'd take a look at your heatsink(cpu fan) and see if theres any distinguishing marks on it, manufactuerer. If it says dell on it, chances are you'll either have to send it out to them or order the part from them.

edit: Found dell's "community forums"
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums ... =dim_other

maybe you can find some info there
    I hate Dells, but the Optiplex GX620 I use here at work is pretty nice. It's probably the only Dell I've ever worked on that I really like (but I still wouldn't buy one..)

Dell srsly sucks balls, my 5 year old toshiba laptop is better than my 4 month old dell laptop

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ive never had a problem with Dell or one of their computers, ive ordered and setup and used over 500 computers from them, including two at home. There was rarely a problem with one of the machines, but they all come with a year warranty, so calling them and having it fixed within 1 day is no problem.

However in this case, replacing a dead fan? call tigerdirect and theyll get you one that will fit the motherboard. After all there are no Dell products, they just put their name on it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

A $10 fan breaks and I have to get a whole new computer? That kinda seems harsh.
    Harsh is living with a Dell computer.

You might wanna get a computer with better fans so they don't break

If you wanted to get a new dell, I saw one for $300 that had pretty good stuff.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

i seriously doubt Dell would be stupid enough to use custom sized fans. take the old one out, measure it (probably 92mmx25mm) and go on newegg to order a similar one

Dell Sucks.
    I'm so sick of their crappy computers.. oh and when you call customer service you are talking to people that are not fluent in English.. you can tell they are reading from a book and not giving you professional input like you pay for if you got Customer Support.
    I'm planning on just buying the parts to my new PC and putting them together myself. Hella Cheaper too.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Koga
    Dell Sucks.
    I'm so sick of their crappy computers.. oh and when you call customer service you are talking to people that are not fluent in English.. you can tell they are reading from a book and not giving you professional input like you pay for if you got Customer Support.
    I'm planning on just buying the parts to my new PC and putting them together myself. Hella Cheaper too.
    Dell computer do suck but their customer service has always been pretty good IMO. With Dell your call is usually transferred to India (I guess that would piss you off anyway if you are passionate about hating outsourcing) and they usually know what they are doing. Sometimes it's really hard to understand their thick accents though

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

i haven't come across one of their fans that i couldn't replace with a off the shelf piece,

you might have a harder time with the stuff they use in their SFF pc's

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Fucking Dell

Quote Originally Posted by Avvesione
    I had that as my old computer and anyone from my LS would remember the PSU fan whenever I was on vent. Since then I've moved to a new computer because it sounded like it was dying every second it was on.

Anyway, idk much about dell CPU fans. I would just get a new computer if I were you (if that's possible)
    Wait, that was your computer's fan?

I thought you were running a hovercraft in your house.

The fan has this big ass gay casing around it. But I never realized that you can pop the fan part out and keep the casing so uh... yeah. Thanks for the all the websites and stuff, I think I might have found a fan.

And if not I'll just steal one from the computers at work. :wink: