+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Music Game     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level

The Music Game

The Game
    I've been sharing music with a lot of friends for some time now, and every once in a while we do swaps, share stuff that we like, basically, reviewing bands amongst each other very informally. I was thinking I'd make a post to play this "game" with you folks. Now before you write me off for my post-count, let me say that I don't listen to radio, for the simple reason that I hate advertisements and the vast majority of djs. As well, most the songs aren't that great. Most of the music I listen to is digged up through websites, browsing albums, or brought to my attention by a friend.

The Rules
    So, here's the game. Recommend up to 3 songs, so long as each other one you post, is a different genre. Or, recommend one song if you only listen to one genre. Pretty simple.

If someone recommends a song you like in a thread before you, feel free to givem their props.

To keep the game fresh, no repeats please, although you can certainly recommend more than one song from a band, so long as it's on a different post.

Doesn't have to be brand-spankin' new music, can be anything, so long as it's good. Please be considerate of everyone's opinions, i.e., I don't like heavy metal, but who am I to say that "that music is bad" just because I think it's bad. Be respectful of the taste of other people.

Allow me to begin:

1) The Shins - New Slang (Indie)
    The first single by the Shins from their debut album (Oh, Inverted World), I personally love this band, you'll see me recommending more from them in the future.

2) AZ - Street Life (Rap)
    Track 8 on his latest album, A.W.O.L. I like his flow, good lyrics, and an awesome beat.

3) Ratatat - Seventeen Years (Techno)
    Somewhat old, but great. I was surprised at how late most other people started noticing it, it first got in my head from one of the Hummer commercials, and I hunted it down to get it.

I hope you enjoy, and I hope this thread catches on :D

NOTE: I do not advise any of you to "download MP3s" unless you are doing it legally. I do not support illegal sharing of files. Don't want any legal issues on my hands.

We don't play games here.

Well I'll give it a try

Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin

(Been going thru an Insomniac phase, so late night all that Old Time Classics CD's for sale commercials come on [Great Hits of the 70's], for some reason I can't stop listening to it, stuck in head)

Nikkfurie - The A La Menthe

(Every other day either on HBO or Cinemax, they always give Ocean's Twelve. I have become so good @ recognizing where in the movie the laser sequence comes up, that I have it timed to perfection to see that 3 min dance/beat laser show)

Nelly Furtado feat.Timbaland - Promiscuous Girl

(Every FUCKING day, Every other channel I watch, that GOD DAMN Verizon commercials comes on)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Audioslave - Doesn't Remind Me
    On the album "Out of Exile." Most of it is pretty good. I've been a fan of Chris Cornell since "Soundgarden" and "Temple of the Dog."

BB King & Eric Clapton - Three O'clock Blues
    Great guitar. My buddy daemonxel sent me this one, really like. Prior to this I haven't listened to much blues, but I'm starting to get into it.

Primus - Southbound Pachyderm
    Primus is such a great band. This song is on "Tales from the Punchbowl." The video for this song is awesome. You can find it here(website) or here(direct link, will open windows media player).

how is this a game

E. Body
    BG Level

Who Dat?:
    1) Knights in White Satin = money
    2) Couldn't get a taste of the Nikkfurie song
    3) I like the instrumentals to the new song, but I don't know, I can't stand Black Eyed Peas / Pussycat Dolls / groups or singers that want to be like them. Their lyrics imo are really crap, and revolve only over sex.

djzombie:
    1) Heard that audioslave song a while ago, liked it from the moment I did =P Good call
    2) 60% of the time, BB King & Eric Clapton win every time.
    3) Going with the above, listen to Eric Clapton's "Electric Gas" -- I'm sure you'll like it. To be honest, I heard some of Primus' stuff, and as of right now, I don't like it all that much =\

Thanks both of you for posting.

Gonna dig into the back of my collection for this:

Yes - I've Seen All Good People
    A lot of people have heard this, just don't know the song title/band that sings it. I think it was most prominently featured in the theatrical preview for "Big Fish," which was a great movie. Anyway, I love the first half of this song.

Keep'em comin.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Scunsion
    how is this a game
    Shutup, that's how.

On a serious note, you can make a point system if you so please, I call it a game to lure people ofc.

youre gay

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah, but I mean aren't you really gay? Like, loves the cock gay?

not that theres anything wrong with loving the cock, if you do indeed love the cock

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Going to try to do stuff people have never heard of, because thats what I feel the purpose of this should be, to get people to hear things they might not otherwise come across.

Funk:
    Maceo Parker - Pass The Peas
    Its so tight! Awesome instrumental solos (Trombone and Sax if I recall) and a great groove.

Rock:
    Dragonforce - Fury of the storm
    Somewhat popularized by YTMND, this song has some amazing lightning-fast guitar work.

Classical Orchestra:
    Gustav Holst - "Mars" from The Planets
    I know what you're thinking, orchestra music, yawn. As long as you don't download/purchase a highschool orchestra attempting this, you won't be disappointed. This is definitely not your average orchestra piece.[/u]

Stuff I listen to on a daily basis :D

Keller Williams: Best Feeling
    Keller is a musical genious imo. The ultimate one man show... Although he does have ppl onstage perform w/him, most of the music made is by him and him alone. He is a master of looping, which is performing a riff, bassline or anything on the fly an recording it with a loop machine only to be replayed and "looped" so he can create a entire song onstage and improvised... Acoustic guitars are his specialty in most his music and he also performs a little beat boxing.. plays hand percussion (congo's an the like) synthesizers, electronica perfomed via his guitar and his famous mouth trumpet. Enjoy this song Best Feeling and perhaps become a lifelong fan... Best Feeling

The Disco Biscuits: Any song by them.. they are all good..

The Disco Biscuits - Browse around, listen to the 3 songs on the site, enjoy 8)

Yonder Mountain String Band: Same deal as the Disco Biscuits. All good songs.

I have not really found anyone yet in game that enjoys bluegrass as much as I do. . . More or less I get slammed with the jokes when I mention "bluegrass", but... It's good music to me. I enjoy it anytime, anywhere. So I'll just post thier website as well. Few songs to demo on the main page. YMSB

So yeah, I did'nt list just 1 song from two of my suggestions, but hey... if you like what you hear... cool beans 8)

NOTE: I do not advise any of you to "download MP3s" unless you are doing it legally. I do not support illegal sharing of files. Don't want any legal issues on my hands.
    lol...

Deep Purple - Highway Star
    I hardly listen to any music and pretty much all I do listen to is from the radio or what my friends suggest, but this has always been one of my favorite songs.

E. Body
    BG Level

Dezz:
    The Gustav Holst thing is money =P A friend of mine from in-game sent it to me a while ago. Have to be honest, and say I didn't like the Dragonforce b/c I can't stand heavy metal, the Maceo Parker was a nice change of pace from the usual music I listen to.

Deigo:
    I liked the Keller Williams, I'm going to suggest a musician that's somewhat like him in a moment. Disco Biscuits was interesting, and I liked the Yonder Mountain String Band =P

My recommendations:

Sufjan Stevens - Come On! Feel the Illinoise! - Part I The World's Columbian Exposition - Part II Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream
    Longest song title, but my favorite album from him is "Illinoise." I like his voice, and love his music. Deigo, listen to this, PM me if you like it =P

Styles of Beyond - Bleach
    Rap duo (used to be underground) Takbir & Ryu, I really like Tak's flow + lyrics. You guys might have heard of them from their association with Fort Minor (great album btw), this comes straight off their Megadef album.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

1. Kelly Clarkson
    2. Kelly Clarkson
    3. Kelly Clarkson

GAME OVER

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Ferry Corsten - Fire (Trance)
    I'm a big fan of Techno/Trance and this has gotta be my favorite. Corsten's been around for a while, easily one of the best Trance DJs out there, and this blew me away when I first heard it a couple of months ago.

Alkaline Trio - This Could Be Love (Rock)
    I've been big on the Trio ever since From Here to Infirmary, this is from their second big album Good Mourning. They write a lot about revenge on ex-girlfriends and getting shitfaced, and this is one of their best songs lyric-wise IMO.

Oliver Cheatham - Get Down Saturday Night (R&B/Disco)
    I first heard this on Fever 105 on GTA Vice City and because of this song Fever's been my favorite station. Seven minutes of 1980's soul music at its finest.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

1. Chamillionaire - Ridin'
    2. The Fray - Over my Head
    3. Third Eye Blind - Motorcycle Drive By

25 May 2006
    My recommendations:

Do what Scun says and gtfo, this isn't GameFAQs where we have 10583018053 'game' topics.

E. Body
    BG Level

Mrcloudz:
    Alkaline Trio kicks ass, period

Vade:
    can't stand most "gangsta" rap, don't like the chamillionare song at all. The Fray is an awesome band, someone I know from ingame gave me the album about 4 months before they hit the radio. "How to save a life" is their best song imo.

Genosync:
    Don't get your pubes tied up in a knot. Just posting here for anyone that wants to share what they think is good music. If you don't like it, don't post--that's all there is to it.

Song:

Nujabes - Lady Brown
    My first taste of Nujabes was from Royze who uploaded an album of his and posted on these forums. Had it since then, and I love the beat + flow to this song.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok
    1. Kelly Clarkson
    2. Kelly Clarkson
    3. Kelly Clarkson

GAME OVER
    lmao

i approve of the clarkson and the trio(see avatar),

thread is still gay tho!

E. Body
    BG Level

What's the point in posting if you are just gonna call the thread gay / bash / flame / whatnot? I honestly don't care what you think, just don't post if you don't like the thread.

For the people that have posted, thanks, I at least got to hear some music I might never have heard otherwise, and the majority of songs recommended have been good listens.

Song:
    Eels - Blinking Lights
    I knew the lead singer's mother irl, very sweet lady. Most of the songs by the Eels revolve around the lead singer's traumatic life experiences -- his dad leaving, his mother losing a battle with cancer, and his sister's suicide. Sometimes, their songs are amazingly good (i.e. Fresh Feeling), sometimes, its very very raw.