+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Clinton to add special tax to video games.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/clinton-to ... 189042.php

It looks like Senator Hillary Clinton is gearing up for her war on video games.

Sources tell me that Clinton has been asking around for volunteers for a new anti-violence in video games initiative. Specifically, Clinton is trolling for someone how feels passionate about extreme violence in video games.

One of Clinton's brainbursts is to try and add a special tax to video games, sorta like what a lot of states do for cigarettes. The profits from the tax would then go to a child advocacy program.

The "concerned parent" would need to attend a press conference to make a short statement and should be able to deal with annoying reporters asking questions like: Did Sen. Clinton send out a memo asking for someone like you to talk for her at a press conference?

Just a word of warning gamers, this isn't going away. Clinton has her heart set on making violence in video games a key component of her platform. Taxes on video games are going to be discussed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

let's just hope Canada doesn't adopt this as well (Knowing Harper, we probably will).

What the gay...

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Retarded.

Re: Clinton to add special tax to video games.

As long as they put the same "sin" tax on all movies and books and music, even educational materials targeted at children, then sure.

Excuse me, Mr.Government. I don't know what to believe. I have no morals. Can you tell me what is right and wrong? I can fucking figure it out for my own goddamn self. Thanks.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Excuse me, Mr.Government. I don't know what to believe. I have no morals. Can you tell me what is right and wrong? I can fucking figure it out for my own goddamn self. Thanks.
    qft

Relic Shield
    BG Level

lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Krylanna
    As long as they put the same "sin" tax on all movies and books and music, even educational materials targeted at children, then sure.
    Kotaku and all gaming related sites are blocked at work. Is this tax on all games or all violent (M) games? They should target books. Has anyone Read Any George RR Martin? Specifically A Song of Ice and Fire series? Completely awesome novel but filled with extreme amounts of violence and rapes.

Where's the rating, the warning label? How about you put special taxes on the newspapers I read that report violent news? This is completely retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylanna
    Kotaku and all gaming related sites are blocked at work. Is this tax on all games or all violent (M) games? They should target books. Has anyone Read Any George RR Martin? Specifically A Song of Ice and Fire series? Completely awesome novel but filled with extreme amounts of violence and rapes.

Where's the rating, the warning label? How about you put special taxes on the newspapers I read that report violent news? This is completely retarded.
    Doesn't mention anything about violent or not. It could be an oversight by Kotaku or an oversight by Ms. Clinton. Either way, it could easily be "overlooked" on purpose. It's not like we as gamers don't have personal agendas.

You can or you can't? I think this calls for a special session of Congress to help you decide.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

What Clinton doesn't know is she just pissed off people that are good at hacking. In the next election she somehow get -10 votes according to the computer. Gee I wonder how that happened?

Well, it's very true that psychological studies did show an increase in violent tendicies after playing violent video games. This was years ago (April 2000) by the American Psychological Association. In fact, here's an article they published on their site.

"Violent video games provide a forum for learning and practicing aggressive solutions to conflict situations," said Dr. Anderson. "In the short run, playing a violent video game appears to affect aggression by priming aggressive thoughts. Longer-term effects are likely to be longer lasting as well, as the player learns and practices new aggression-related scripts that can become more and more accessible for use when real-life conflict situations arise."
    So, through study and experience, it's very hard to dismiss that violent games might produce violent urges.

Does this mean we should take drastic measures? No, that would be absurd. If we were to tax/ban/regulate the sell of violent videogames, we'd have to follow suit with other aspects of day to day life that might cause violent tendicies such as:
    - Violent movies
    - Car alarms
    - Extra loud commercials (I hate those so much)
    - Traffic (or driving in general optimumly)
    - Rap
    - People I don't like
    - Bears
    - Yearly taxes
    - Telemarketing (it kills)
    - Global Warming
    - Scientology
    and finally
    - Our own president!

And how American would that be?

Banned.

BG Level

Well, it's very true that psychological studies did show an increase in violent tendicies after playing violent video games. This was years ago (April 2000) by the American Psychological Association. In fact, here's an article they published on their site.

"Violent video games provide a forum for learning and practicing aggressive solutions to conflict situations," said Dr. Anderson. "In the short run, playing a violent video game appears to affect aggression by priming aggressive thoughts. Longer-term effects are likely to be longer lasting as well, as the player learns and practices new aggression-related scripts that can become more and more accessible for use when real-life conflict situations arise."
    So, through study and experience, it's very hard to dismiss that violent games might produce violent urges.

Does this mean we should take drastic measures? No, that would be absurd. If we were to tax/ban/regulate the sell of violent videogames, we'd have to follow suit with other aspects of day to day life that might cause violent tendicies such as:
    - Violent movies
    - Car alarms
    - Extra loud commercials (I hate those so much)
    - Traffic (or driving in general optimumly)
    - Rap
    - People I don't like
    - Bears
    - Yearly taxes
    - Telemarketing (it kills)
    - Global Warming
    - Scientology
    and finally
    - Our own president!

And how American would that be?
    you should just give the bitch a copy of gta:vc and show her a night on the town

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

You know, I blame Bill for all the stupid fucking things Hilary comes up with. She just needs a good stiff rooster in her poop-chute to tame her wild ideas, and Bill is off finding hotties to pork instead.

Bill, you were a pretty decent president and started to steer the country in the right direction. I implore you: save us now from the wrath of your man-bitch before it's too late!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    You know, I blame Bill for all the stupid fucking things Hilary comes up with. She just needs a good stiff rooster in her poop-chute to tame her wild ideas, and Bill is off finding hotties to pork instead.

Bill, you were a pretty decent president and started to steer the country in the right direction. I implore you: save us now from the wrath of your man-bitch before it's too late!
    L M F A O

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Wait....where are all the lifelong devoted clinton supporters?

SPIN THIS ONE HMMMMM??????????

Being anti video game is the cool thing to do these days. Well for old people at least.

Groovebox

I'd like to know if Hillary Clinton has actually spent 50-100 hours playing one video game, because if the dumb bitch has not, her ideas are pointless.

This is why I fucking hate most politicians, you get dumb fucks that propose legislation on things they know shit about. Senators and State Reps need term limits, these old fags need to go.

You see guys, video games are made up of a series of tubes

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    Wait....where are all the lifelong devoted clinton supporters?

SPIN THIS ONE HMMMMM??????????

I like how (in the event of her running for pres. '08) she is effectively alienating the democratic party's strongest demographic.