+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exxon Mobil makes over 10 BILLION in profits

What's wrong with this picture? They are making over $1300 a second.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/27/news/co ... tm?cnn=yes

I wish I had somewhere to plug in an electric car.

My company records record profits.
    Where do we get our profits?
    People that are sick and need life-saving medical technology and from insurance companies. Would it be wrong to lower the price for healthcare so that more people could afford things? Or if I (you, your parents, patients) didn't have to pay so much for insurance. They give a lot of that profit back to the employee, although its weighted and trickles down. My bonus is peanuts, while someone a few floors up has a bonus that equals or exceeds my salary.

Yes, but one would think that since oil prices are rising, that these oil companies profits would not rise, but stay somewhat level since their initial costs are going up too. This isn't the case, however. They are making record profits off of the rising gas prices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wT0qW1 ... ed&search=

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Yes, but one would think that since oil prices are rising, that these oil companies profits would not rise, but stay somewhat level since their initial costs are going up too. This isn't the case, however. They are making record profits off of the rising gas prices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wT0qW1 ... ed&search=
    At times like this, I think back to an article in the Onion: Our Dumb Century. It was on Regan's first inauguration, the top story was about the gala and what not, the bottom story was titled: Hostages Freed in Iran, Americans Urged Not to Put Two and Two Together.

I think this is another story where we are urged not to put to and two together.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

the big Oil Companies and the Government work hand in hand, there's no way we can win...

They Hydrogen Engine has been invented for a while but the big Gas Companies bought the idea so they can exploit oil for all its worth.

There's a documentary movie called "Who killed the electric car", the title is self-explanatory, should be a good movie.

The richer get richer while the middle class becomes poor.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah. You're suprised? I mean, they're practically raping everyone with gas prices. I can't really complain personally, living in the US, gas prices are about 3 dollars a gallon where I live. I know other countries have it much worse, some @ 6$ and some even as high as 10.

But of course thier profits are insane.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

In Quebec and Eastern Ontario Canada, it costs 4.27 a gallon (i did the conversion lol)

Thank god for bikes and transit

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kross
    the big Oil Companies and the Government work hand in hand, there's no way we can win...

They Hydrogen Engine has been invented for a while but the big Gas Companies bought the idea so they can exploit oil for all its worth.

There's a documentary movie called "Who killed the electric car", the title is self-explanatory, should be a good movie.

The richer get richer while the middle class becomes poor.
    Don't be stupid.

Where do electric cars get their power from? That's right, power plants. Why doesn't America have clean power plants? That's right, because people are scared of the word nuclear. Thoughts of Hiroshima and Chernobyl cloud the minds of stupids and in the end we end up with a coal power plant that creates even more localized pollution then cars would with gasoline. Or we can have gas power plants, which are a little cleaner, yet cost so much you need to be pulling in some major cash just to keep your house less then frigid.

Hydrogen is no different. Do you think Hydrogen gas will just loft into a highly compressed tank? Hell the process of making Hydrogen gas uses more energy then it gives off. Again where will this energy come from? Coal plants. Keep shoveling in the coal so we can dumb ourselves down even more thinking we're helping the planet.

The solution is easy, yet the president gets called a stupid head every time he bring up nuclear power. Ok ok he doesn't pronounce it right, but still, is that really the point? A few hundred more nuclear plants, a few hundred less coal plants, restructuring the bans on uranium/plutonium reconstitution, and the backing of the automobile industry is what we need to have clean and cheap cars.

I guess the solution everyone wants to hear is solar power or wind power, and hey I'll admit that it's a great source of power. However it's simply not enough. In a perfect America 90-95% of our power would come from nuclear plants and 5-10% from solar/wind.

In a perfect America we would be looking towards fusion energy outside of weapons manufacturing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    In a perfect America we would be looking towards fusion energy outside of weapons manufacturing.
    But you do agree the a more high-tech energy industry would fuel the expansion into fusion, right? Or do you expect us to go from stick and stones to F-15 fighter jets?

On the subject of fusion, I'd say we're at least a few hundred years (or some major discovery) away from it even being a solution. It just takes too much energy to start up. The stars have it easy, a few trillion tons of matter and the force of gravity work together to create a giant fireball, it's just too bad we really can't replicate this on Earth.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Someone in the UAE told me once that he pays $.50 a gallon. Anyone confirm?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    Someone in the UAE told me once that he pays $.50 a gallon. Anyone confirm?
    Don't know about UAE....but its $0.11 a gallon in Venezuela.

If the war in Iraq is about oil.....then we invaded the wrong damn country. Venezuela controls OPEC, not anyone in the middle east.

People go into business to make money...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Gas wouldnt be so bad if the USA had a better mass trasit. In Ohio, KY, IN tristate there are no options.

In the down town area there are buses, but they dont go out too far.

We dont have many sidewalks, and if you did want to bike to school or work, you would have to wake up at 3am.

Carpooling? theyve tried that too, there is one area where people can park and grab a hitch with someone, but its been vacent for a long time. The chances of having someone live next to you that goes to the same work or school is small.

There is an underground tram that was half way built and never complete decades back and was forgotten long ago.

There is no other choice but to drive.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by vudoodoodoo
    qft, welcome to the free market economy

I love people that seemed shocked by the world..."omg this huge company makes all that profit because they are powerful, that's so wrong!!!"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer

I love people that seemed shocked by the world..."omg this huge company makes all that profit because they are powerful, that's so wrong!!!"
    Part of the government's job is to protect the little person from the big person. Laissez-faire capitalism is never a good thing, look at Enron.

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer

The making of money is not what's wrong, it's the way they're achieving that end. Did you know that General Motors owns the public transportation systems in Austin as well as other Texas cities? Did you know that public transportation in Texas cities is about as useful as a knife in a gunfight? What a coincidence. My company makes money but they also don't go around blinding people in order to sell them eyeglasses, or cutting research money for Lasik surgery.

The auto makers and oil companies can throw their weight around and raise and lower the price of gasoline on a whim if they so choose. Since they're not doing this at a single company board meeting, monopoly laws don't apply. I'm sure though that the CEOs and VPs get together for semi-regular poker games while they smoke cigars and drink martinis and think of the latest "reason" oil prices are up. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's the nature of the beast. Since when did people care who they get their gas from? It's all the same, whichever is a penny cheaper or easier to drive into from the street is the one that gets the sale. Since there is no competition and no way for many consumers to limit their consumption, why not just be friends with the other tycoons and increase profits across the board? It's what you would do if you could.

My Dad, your Dad, their Dad said it...This country is going right down the shitter.

Not untill we (Americans) elect a government that isnt bathing in oil, the World will continue to suffer.

Gas and car companies have had it made since they started.
    Before cars there were trains, who layed the tracks for all the trains out there? The train companies.
    Automobiles (and indirectly the gas industry, which are probably in cahoots) started to become popular and less popular was the dirt roads they drive on. Same situation but the difference is we pay for those roads, not GM or Honda, etc.

I think I read this in Fast Food Nation.