Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

More expansion packs coming

Did anyone notice this stealth news item posted on the official website? here at the very bottom, just above the maintenance updates.

COMMENT ON RECENT MEDIA REPORT
    Tokyo, Japan (July 18, 2006) - Square Enix Co., Ltd (“the Company”). wishes to comment on a
    specific media report, dated July 14, stating that the Company is developing a sequel to its online
    game title, FINAL FANTASY® XI, and plans to release the title on three platforms - the
    PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., the
    Xbox 360TM video game and entertainment system, and Windows Vista TM the next-generation PC
    operating system from Microsoft Corporation.
    The Company did not make such an announcement and has not made any decisions resembling
    those detailed in the media report.
    As the Company announced in May 2005, it is currently developing an online title for
    next-generation platforms including game consoles and PCs; however, this title is being developed as
    a completely new MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online RPG). We will disclose further details of
    this title, including platform compatibility, immediately after any relevant decisions are made.
    In addition, the Company continuously plans to release expansion packs for FINAL FANTASY XI,
    available on PlayStation®2, Xbox 360, and Windows®, as well as perform version updates.
    Sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't see it anywhere.

i think at least one more was expected, and if toau ends up being a bust, they could just go back on that its not like they are locked in

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yes, this was posted before. And I dont see how anyone would need a news post to guess that an MMO has more expansions coming.

When I posted this my thread got locked. I fully expect the same to happen here as well. If not, I will demand that it be locked and my original thread unlocked!

Banned.

BG Level

How fucking hilarious.

This is worst than Zam stuff.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

so um are we supposed to be surprised? joyful? i dont get it...

What did you expect? People still pay to play this, of course they will release more expansions. Look at every other half-phailed MMO that still barley holds onto its life. And they keep making expansions for those.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I had thought that TOAU was the last "confirmed" expansion, and any further expansions would depend on the continued profitability of the game. Plus they are making a next-gen MMORPG that they might want people to migrate to, so FFXI's future was not totally clear until this announcement.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wow, this shit is like a month old.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I highly doubt they'll be finish with the Sequeal anytime soon >_> Atlease a year or two if not longer.

To be fair, the reason this is "interesting", is because at one point SE said the had plans for "at least 2 expansions". This was long enough ago that the second of these was ToAU. So this is just confirming that there will be "at least one more"

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

I had thought that TOAU was the last "confirmed" expansion, and any further expansions would depend on the continued profitability of the game.
    I'm pretty sure FFXI is the main reason why SE didn't actually go bankrupt after the disaster that was Spirits Within and some other really bad move that I can't remember right now (FFX-2 maybe?). That and maybe the bajillion remakes they've come out with.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

I remember reading somewhere that it was said that if there are still players playing the game, they will continue to develop the game further. So saying that I think that it's pretty obvious that there's going to be another expansion, or seven. Who knows they might do a engine upgrade and offer a new expansion with it, whole new game opens up then. Though they could be tools and just do a new engine and not link it to the current characters so that they would get double to player base.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet
    I had thought that TOAU was the last "confirmed" expansion, and any further expansions would depend on the continued profitability of the game.
    I'm pretty sure FFXI is the main reason why SE didn't actually go bankrupt after the disaster that was Spirits Within and some other really bad move that I can't remember right now (FFX-2 maybe?). That and maybe the bajillion remakes they've come out with.
    FFX-2 probably made more money than it cost to make. I can't think of anything else that ended up in a deficit (ffx, kingdom heart, full metal series?)

They should learn how to fix what they already created instead of working on new expansions that will fall short on expectations anyway. Fix the current system then worry about expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet
    FFX-2 probably made more money than it cost to make. I can't think of anything else that ended up in a deficit (ffx, kingdom heart, full metal series?)
    lol FFX-2 made money, they could reuse a lot of art assets and sold pretty well.