+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Any of you know any good monologues?

I'm in a lit class, and our next assignment is to find a monologue to perform. I'm just wondering if any of you can suggest some really good/entertaining ones. Please, no Shakespeare though, we just did a whole unit on him and I'm not up for another piece by him.

Also, if you're searching for one that you know of, if you manage to find a site that has the whole play, that'd be sweet. But I'm not asking you to do this.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: The performance has to be ABOUT 2 minutes long.

You should do the Vagina Monologue...

yeah, just for the name...

Old Merits
    BG Level

Sing a verse from a song. Same shit.

Honestly, the introduction to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you can pull it off its a great one. I've done it multiple times.

PS I'm completely serious.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Re: Any of you know any good monologues?

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    I'm in a lit class, and our next assignment is to find a monologue to perform. I'm just wondering if any of you can suggest some really good/entertaining ones. Please, no Shakespeare though, we just did a whole unit on him and I'm not up for another piece by him.

Also, if you're searching for one that you know of, if you manage to find a site that has the whole play, that'd be sweet. But I'm not asking you to do this.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: The performance has to be ABOUT 2 minutes long.
    My suggestion is Blanche's monologue at the end of A Street Car Named Desire, but that one's short. Also look at A Doll's House. Nora has a great monologue about a dance (been awhile forget the name) also a monologue about her disappointments in helmer as a man.

Glass Menagerie also has a great monologue.

Lastly, I don't know if you care about doing a male or female roll. But to this day my favorite monologue in a play has to be the last one in Our Country's Good. It's about the prisoners in Australia when the British threw them there. They decide to put on a play (within the play), and it has some severe dramatic undertones. One prisoner gives a great speech that still puts a tear to my eye at the end that sadly doesn't end up in their play.

Those are some of my favorites and easy ones. The Our Country's Good speech is probably the longest though. BUt with most plays you can edit and take out lines to make it longer if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra
    Also look at A Doll's House.
    I read that one this year, it's actually alot better than the name suggests lol, although Nora annoyed the living hell out of me.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu novel's prologue.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Any monologue done by V in V for Vendetta.

http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/quot ... 409/quotes

Can find most performed on Youtube I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vade
    Any monologue done by V in V for Vendetta.

http://www.imdb.com/rg/title-tease/quot ... 409/quotes

Can find most performed on Youtube I think.
    I'd have to agree there, I liked the one where he used all of the 'V' words. I think that would be very impressive if you could quote it.

Also I'd recommend the one from the Boondock Saints.

THIS IS NOT LIVEJOURNAL DOT COM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Detheroc

Azrael in Dogma.

The scene where he explains to Bethany about what Hell is really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytele
    Azrael in Dogma.

The scene where he explains to Bethany about what Hell is really like.
    haha also good! I just watched that movie 2 days ago. I liked it alot more this time around.. maybe because I'm a few years older than when the last time I saw it.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Can you get away with this?

Jules: There's a passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you. I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. 9mm here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I don't think we're allowed to use monologues from movies, and I should have said that beforehand haha If we were this would be a really easy and most likely a TON of fun..

Ksandra, I tried to find the monologue from the play you mentioned that you really really liked, and could only find books ABOUT the play, but not the monologue itself.

However, when I was searching I came across a review of the Diary of Anne Frank, and it said the father's monologue at the end was really good so I looked that up, and 'lo and beholdi t's REALLY good. Emotional, strong, etc., etc., and I've read the book a couple times so I understand where he's coming from...so I think I might do that one. I was going to try to do one of Anne's monologues, but they were all kind of boring, and really short.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

The monologue from hitchiker is from a radio drama if that counts.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    I don't think we're allowed to use monologues from movies, and I should have said that beforehand haha If we were this would be a really easy and most likely a TON of fun..

Ksandra, I tried to find the monologue from the play you mentioned that you really really liked, and could only find books ABOUT the play, but not the monologue itself.

However, when I was searching I came across a review of the Diary of Anne Frank, and it said the father's monologue at the end was really good so I looked that up, and 'lo and beholdi t's REALLY good. Emotional, strong, etc., etc., and I've read the book a couple times so I understand where he's coming from...so I think I might do that one. I was going to try to do one of Anne's monologues, but they were all kind of boring, and really short.
    ooo <3 Diary of anne Frank, good find :D. If you ever do get ahold of Our Country's Good though give it a read just for fun, really really good play. ^^

Gl with your monologue though :D

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra

Gl with your monologue though :D
    thanks love

Ash from Army of Darkness. The boomstick speech.

Its got class, firearms and takes talent to pull off.

Not really a monologue but what the hell... it could be.

I GAVE YOU GOLD LBELLE AND YOU TREATED IT LIKE DOGSHIT

</3