+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATi = Bye bye!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

ATi = Bye bye!

AMD announced today that ATI's days are numbered. All future products developed by ATI will now ship under the AMD brand name, effectively ending 21 years of ATI brand-history.

AMD is reportedly anxious to assert that its ATI acquisition is a full take-over rather than a merger or partnership. What impact the decision will have upon deepening the AMD-AMD (ATI) vs. Intel-Nvidia divide remains to be seen.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/724/724015p1.html

Anddd...

* ATI Radeon X1900 512MB CrossFire: $375, down from $500
    * ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB: $370, down from $500
    * ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB: $310, down from $370
    * ATI Radeon X1900GT 256MB: $280, down from $310
    * Sapphire Radeon X1900GT 256MB: $230, down from $250

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: ATi = Bye bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Reality
    with

ATI stock jumped significantly in early trading based upon the news. The company's stock, which went as low as $12.40 per share in the last year, is now trading at $22.37, up nearly 20% on the day. AMD stock, on the other hand, is trending down on the news, presently off 5% at $17.40 a share.

I don't really see this as a bad thing. If ATi continues to make video cards under the wing of AMD, then I can seriously see something wonderful in the short future.

As such, it's unlikely we'll see a massive divide develop between rival pairings such as AMD-ATI vs. Intel-Nvidia, unless, of course, Intel feels threatened enough to feel the need to buy-out Nvidia. The stock-market's reaction to the AMD-ATI news will likely dissuade Intel from making such a move.

From the gamer's perspective, the AMD buyout of ATI is likely neutral, if not positive news. ATI may well benefit from AMD's expertise in producing advanced and multi-core processors, which could certainly up the ante in GPU development. Whether or not ATI may begin to produce its own chips at AMD foundries remains to be seen, but more likely than not, the company will continue to operate as a fabrication-less designer.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: ATi = Bye bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Reality

I just wet my pant I. I wanted to upgrade my crappy X550 last month but decided to wait cause I was too lazy to walk outside (sun is hot and all>_>).

Anyway, what's the difference between XTX and XT

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I would be leary of this takeover, personally.

Why would AMD remove the ATI name? I realize its a full takeover, but replacing the brand seems like an illogical thing to do. ATI is a household name for computer geeks when it comes to video cards. Its one of the big 2, the other being NVidia. AMD is is not associated with video cards in the industry, but rather processors. Killing the ATI name is going to kill their customer base. ATI has been a name you can trust for video cards, AMD has not been association with them. If they plan to overhaul this company, they should still keep the name in order to keep the consumers blinded to the fact that the same people aren't making the cards. Removing the ATI brand is not a good idea.

A good example is Ford. They own alot more manufacturers than you think (Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar to name a few). But they were smart and realized that the names of these companies and the cars they make, are far superior to Ford (with the exception of Jaguar..those things suck ass). So what does Ford do? They don't change the names, they don't interfer in the process, and they just sit back and collect the profits. A Volvo is still a Volvo, a Mazda is still a Mazda, a Jaguar is still a peice of shit, the only difference is that the money you paid for it is lining the pockets of someone at Ford.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    I would be leary of this takeover, personally.

Why would AMD remove the ATI name? I realize its a full takeover, but replacing the brand seems like an illogical thing to do. ATI is a household name for computer geeks when it comes to video cards. Its one of the big 2, the other being NVidia. AMD is is not associated with video cards in the industry, but rather processors. Killing the ATI name is going to kill their customer base. ATI has been a name you can trust for video cards, AMD has not been association with them. If they plan to overhaul this company, they should still keep the name in order to keep the consumers blinded to the fact that the same people aren't making the cards. Removing the ATI brand is not a good idea.

A good example is Ford. They own alot more manufacturers than you think (Volvo, Mazda, Jaguar to name a few). But they were smart and realized that the names of these companies and the cars they make, are far superior to Ford (with the exception of Jaguar..those things suck ass). So what does Ford do? They don't change the names, they don't interfer in the process, and they just sit back and collect the profits. A Volvo is still a Volvo, a Mazda is still a Mazda, a Jaguar is still a peice of shit, the only difference is that the money you paid for it is lining the pockets of someone at Ford.
    Thats a good way to look at it, I think it fits perfectly.

This takeover seems good, but seems bad as well, its just one of those things where its to earlly to tell, im not sure if im happy or upset.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060808-7446.html

AMD not eliminating ATI brand, reports false
    oh burn

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

IGN is so full of shit. They havent been good since I was in high school, now it's just all BS and they suck.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    IGN is so full of shit. They havent been good since I was in high school, now it's just all BS and they suck.
    thier name is too close to IGE for me to want to go to thier site

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I guarantee you IGN puts out shit like this occasionally just to make a quick buck off the market. Buy low, sell high.

Shit, if I had that kind of influence, I'd do the same.

Groovebox

I guarantee you IGN puts out shit like this occasionally just to make a quick buck off the market. Buy low, sell high.
    Speaking of IGN lol...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152727

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Rumor debunked

It looks like yesterday's story was just a rumor, as AMD told Ars that it has no plans to scrap the ATI brand name after all:

AMD is now responding to the story, saying "AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry."
    how does something like that get started for no reason? doesn't make sense

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Groovebox
    Speaking of IGN lol...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152727
    Time to derail, Wii is only 229$?

ATI is an established name. No reason to drop it.

Groovebox

It's gonna be hawt, who thinks it's gonna outsell 360 and PS3? I have a 360 already, but a next gen system for 230 dollars? I'll buy it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's gonna be hawt, who thinks it's gonna outsell 360 and PS3? I have a 360 already, but a next gen system for 230 dollars? I'll buy it.
    It has like, 3 new games, it'll never outsell ps3. Though I think id play 230$ just for super smash alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    It has like, 3 new games, it'll never outsell ps3. Though I think id play 230$ just for super smash alone.
    If by 3 you mean 17, you may be right.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Yeah. I for one cant wait to play SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab.

Yeah. I for one cant wait to play SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab.
    So what you're saying is that there are more than 3 games for Wii launch, contrary to what you claimed before?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So what you're saying is that there are more than 3 games for Wii launch, contrary to what you claimed before?
    Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more importantly, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this argument? Nothing. Aurik, it has nothing to do with this argument! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm trying to defend myself, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Aurik, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, [approaches and softens] does it make sense? No! Aurik, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

[quote=Celeras]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Groovebox":cbee6
    Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more importantly, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this argument? Nothing. Aurik, it has nothing to do with this argument! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm trying to defend myself, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Aurik, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, [approaches and softens] does it make sense? No! Aurik, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.[/quote:cbee6]

If you want to make a point you should avoid lying to support it.