+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SE to make a handheld?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

SE to make a handheld?

Yoichi Wada talks about what game creators need to do for next-gen platforms and hints that an upcoming Square Enix venture may be hardware-based.

Link: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6155358.html

Then Wada made a surprising comment about the future direction of his company, which had been primarily software-driven.

"This is one of the reasons Square Enix will collaborate with Taito, a company that produces physical hardware," he said. "In our talks with Taito, ideas for an actual physical product have come up. In any case, we will be releasing some 'thing.' It's interesting in that it's not the sort of thing you expect from Square Enix."
    O.o This could be very cool for FFXI or above, I used to love the way the VMU for dreamcast used to interact with games, and you could then unplug it and use it as a basic handheld to continue playing "part" of the game.

That'd really, really be retarded. Hell no am I buying that.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Chocobo Digipet

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

the VMU for the dreamcast was annoying imo...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hi remember me? I failed before I was even released.
    http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_psx/pocketstation.jpg

For some reason I cant help but think about that thing when it comes to companies, aside from Nintendo, wanting to make handhelds.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    [imga]http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_psx/pocketstation.jpg[/img]

For some reason I cant help but think about that thing when it comes to companies, aside from Nintendo, wanting to make handhelds.
    Its funny, Nintendo is the only company that doesn't make retarded mistakes.

Game gear: Tinny sound and ate batteries like nothing I've ever seen. 6 AAs for like 4 hours.

PSP: Was proven 100x better hacked playing old nintendo games than playing new sony games, which wouldn't have been so bad if Sony wasn't taking a loss to move units and hoping to make up for that in games and lolUMD sales, thusly shooting themselves in the foot.

Of course there were other systems but they arent even worth a mention.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

The Neo Geo pocket was pretty nifty when it came out. Decent games (mostly SNK SD fighting games, but eh, better than most 3rd party crap on the game boy), just didn't survive in the niche market for more than a year. Although while in aery or whatever, i still occasionally break it out.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus

Um, what?

R.O.B.
    Virtual Boy
    Power Glove
    Game Boy Advance (can't fucking see it)
    Game Boy Advance SP (no fucking headphone jack)

I could name more but seriously, every company has made retarded products.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction

Um, what?

R.O.B.
    Virtual Boy
    Power Glove
    Game Boy Advance (can't fucking see it)
    Game Boy Advance SP (no fucking headphone jack)

I could name more but seriously, every company has made retarded products.
    I meant in portables. GBA was perfectly viewable. SP came with a way to plug headphones in. In the console business they make a lot of stupid mistakes.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Virtual Boy wasnt a console

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Virtual Boy wasnt a console
    WE DONT TALK ABOUT VIRTUAL BOY K?

lolsash

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I meant in portables. GBA was perfectly viewable. SP came with a way to plug headphones in. In the console business they make a lot of stupid mistakes.
    Virtual Boy was marketed as a 'portable.' Sure, it was about as portable as a blindfold that weight 5 lbs. but Nintendo actually meant for people to take that thing with them.

GBA was never perfectly viewable. You don't have people posting ways of upping the voltage to the lcd or expensive 3rd-party mods (Afterburner) if your handheld is 'perfectly viewable.'

And not having a headphone jack by default in your 7th generation handheld is definitely a stupid mistake. Denying this exposes fanboyism.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    Virtual Boy was marketed as a 'portable.' Sure, it was about as portable as a blindfold that weight 5 lbs. but Nintendo actually meant for people to take that thing with them.
    We dont talk about virtual boy.

GBA was never perfectly viewable. You don't have people posting ways of upping the voltage to the lcd or expensive 3rd-party mods (Afterburner) if your handheld is 'perfectly viewable.'
    People bitch over a completely cosmetic and only noticable when you look for it crack in DS lites. The only game I ever had issues with was Castlevania Circle of the Moon.

And not having a headphone jack by default in your 7th generation handheld is definitely a stupid mistake. Denying this exposes fanboyism.
    And you play the fanboy card. Which makes you not worth arguing with.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The fact you bring up GBA as a mistake, makes all your arguments null.

I mean, lol? Would you rather still have the b&w brick?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The fact you bring up GBA as a mistake, makes all your arguments null.

I mean, lol? Would you rather still have the b&w brick?
    I'm bringing up the fact that the GBA had a painfully low-brightness screen that made one of the launch titles pretty much impossible to see. If that's not a flub in a handheld launch then nothing in the world makes sense. My god BGboards is nothing but a fucking bandwagon these days. My criticism of the GBA does not exist in a vacuum. EVERYBODY was complaining about it. The fact that we have superior hardware today does not obscure the fact that the GBA had serious brightness issues. I loved it, but I couldn't play mine for more than an hour without going blind.

'we don't discuss the virtual boy.' I point out a clear example of a stupid mistake Nintendo made with a 'portable' console and y'all just clap your hands over your ears and say 'LALA LALA LAAA I'M NOT LISTENING NINTENDO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE.'

Fuck it.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I couldn't see shit on my GBA. Of course I love my GBA, but that love doesnt mean I can magicly see it. Of course there are probably some fixes for it but when 95%+ of the buyers dont know how to fix it then it's a problem. I'm sure its great for the 5% that know how to up the voltage or whatever, but surprize surprize the majority don't, and they're the ones giving them (or denying if they dont buy) their money.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I was able to see my GBA fine, right untill I tilted it, then it was like wtf m8.

SP came out and I was still kinda dissapointed, because SP was a frontlight and not a backlight, their excuse was "we would have to recolor the games" which was kinda BS, since games on emulators and playing GBA games on DS's backlit system is identical.

/shrug

DS is hotttt

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Using it in a well lit room works wonders >.>

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

At least the SP still makes a good controller for FSA and FF:CC party. Right?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Using it in a well lit room works wonders >.>