BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Animated Shield Strategy Question

Had a small question concerning the animated shield fight.

Is it possible to sac pull the Satellites away with a Thf or is it easier just to have Brd Lullaby them, or any other method?

We've previously killed the Gun with no issues and tried the Horn the same run, but without 2 hours or meds it warped away at low HP.

I was planning on a WS stun order in case it tries to warp although I am hoping that with 50+ people expected on the run 2 hours + meds should push it down with little trouble, assuming Blm's will be of little to no use on it but will have them do their best anyway.

Any suggestions on this, I'd prefer not to have to make a 2nd go at this.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I dont understand why people want to sac pull these things. Think of it as the Snoll fight, once you touch it, youre basicly on a ghetto time limit. We've argod bow before and he ended up warping after he lost hate and went back to his spot.

Just have everyone get a bit before argo range, then zerg rush it to hell. Stuning can be random though, our tanks can usually use the WS stun move to stop it from warping.

Basicly its all luck.

Have your people setup in the tunnel. THF flee and pull animated shield. He'll pop the satellite shields and the thf easily outruns them even without flee.
    Make sure no one is resting when thf pulls. Have a pld provoke animated shield and use invincible.

Go all out on it like DL basically. You can interrupt its Warp. To keep its interest I guess use alot of JA/WS, etc. Seems you have about 45s-1min to kill it before it warps.
    SAM and WAR absolutely own it. Make people bring icarus wings and save tp on the demons you fight nearby.

THF should just kite the satelite shields away, they're really slow, and as long as no one rests on the pull, you won't have any problems.
    Good luck.

Edit: forgot to mention, that you may want to make a pld 2hr order to keep it stationary, nukes do little damage but its still damage. It 100% resisted stun when we fought it, but 4-5 blm spamming nukes for 100-200 dmg, and RDM chainspelling nukes added up. I can't remember for sure, but I think it buffs itself with phalanx or protect, so you'll want a RDM to definately get that off asap.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Crimson can outrun the shields (not a joke, really), they move extremely slow and have no shared hate.

You can pull them and instantly engage the shield, just don't aga the shields until they are far enough away.

I think you basically melee the fuck out of the shield, nuking it does little.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Sac pull it, but you might as well use a blm with poisonga or something, since blms are completely worthless on the fight. They can't stun, or nuke, or anything, so you might as well keep that thf or pld on the shield, because their damage is going to be a billion times more than any blm can do.

Keep it interested by continually weaponskilling it. /DRK melee are extremely helpful. I went mnk/drk and my melee hits were doing 140-190 with 250+ crits. We had a drk/nin with ridill, and about 15 other melees, and won easily. Only had to interrupt warp once.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

First time we did a run at the shield, we had the BRDs SV Lullabye. The problem was the second they woke up they started AoE Shield Bashes and all DD was basically stopped from stun. We were able to get it to under 5% before it warped dispite that.

The second run we pulled the satallites away and the Animated Shield died very fast.

Side note: The shield speaks Japanese at one point during the battle. Ichthyos was going to have it translated, dunno if he ever did.

Side question: What makes the animated weapons impressed? >.> The only time I ever saw an animated weapon impresses was the first shield run where 4 monks used Asuran Fists at the same time. Next thing it said was something along the line of "I'm impressed, This might be interesting" before it's usually bored comments.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Side note: The shield speaks Japanese at one point during the battle. Ichthyos was going to have it translated, dunno if he ever did.

Side question: What makes the animated weapons impressed? >.> The only time I ever saw an animated weapon impresses was the first shield run where 4 monks used Asuran Fists at the same time. Next thing it said was something along the line of "I'm impressed, This might be interesting" before it's usually bored comments.
    They fixed the language error. We did the shield last friday and it speaks english now. Was likely a POL error that was fixed.

About being impressed, our warrior with bravura used metatron torment right off the bat when we engaged, and the shield immediately said it was impressed/interested. I don't know why people still deny that relic WSs have nothing to do with it, it seems painfully obvious that as soon as a relic WS is used, the animated weapon becomes interested. Like you said, this can also be achieved through many people WSing at once.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Asherek Raitmeaux
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth

Animated Shield is reallllly weak to Blunt by the way apparently.

Kraken DRK was doing 290-300ish a hit on him? Something like that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh

They fixed the language error. We did the shield last friday and it speaks english now. Was likely a POL error that was fixed.

About being impressed, our warrior with bravura used metatron torment right off the bat when we engaged, and the shield immediately said it was impressed/interested. I don't know why people still deny that relic WSs have nothing to do with it, it seems painfully obvious that as soon as a relic WS is used, the animated weapon becomes interested. Like you said, this can also be achieved through many people WSing at once.
    Same thing happened with us when a pld used knights of round with his excalibur. Shield immediately said it was impressed, this was midway through the fight too.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Asherek

hay guyz, wutz souleater

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Kraken Drks and Mnks.

Same way you kill everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco

hay guyz, wutz souleater
    Unless you have like 2400 HP (with AF helm) or do around 100 per swing WITHOUT souleater it wont be 290-300 without a blunt bonus.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco

hay guyz, wutz souleater
    Damage type bonus is added after Souleater is calculated, if I understand correctly (maxx can chime in if I'm wrong).

Anyway, yeah just bring some KClub drk's and MNK's. Bring bards for them, and have people sub nin to blink shield bash instead of subbing war for damage. Make sure people (monks and wars mainly i guess) don't put food up until they're in parties with the people they're going to fight the shield with, so they can decide on meat or sushi as a party. Tell everyone to pre-target and /lockon, and use 2hrs (hundred, mighty strikes, chainspell, etc) at a game time right before running up and engaging. Save TP before engaging of course. Monks don't need icarus wings, they're better off just punching through with hundred fists up.

Aodh, that time we fought it and people saw Japanese text, it spoke in English to me lol.

Edit: maxx is faster than i am, lol.

Edit2: added some more suggestions

Saturday we fought the Animated Dagger, Spear, and Kunai. Somewhere in the fight, the Dagger got impressed, and we were able to kill it. Neither the Spear nor Kunai were impressed at all during the fight, and they both warped out.

Forward to last night, we fought the Spear, Kunai, and Horn. Similar events happened; the Spear did get impressed from something during the fight, and we killed it. The Kunai warped at 3% >_> and the Horn was a mess since I believe someone aggroed it and someone else aggroed some demons.

Someone here recounted that the Tachi was impressed due to skillchains and weaponskills. It would seem that every weapon has some set of circumstances that gets it interested. They aren't fought all too often so unfortunately DL style zerging is a better alternative to a bit of strategy that will get a win without the zerging, but relies on trial and error from multiple fights.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Impressed/Not doesnt matter, because weve always killed them before they could warp regardless.

I guess its possible SE did add some sort of strategy to these things to keep them around to be killed, but its just much easier to zerg the shit out of them.

Its not like theyre that hard. We did Kunai immediately after DL, without any 2 hours available.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    Impressed/Not doesnt matter, because weve always killed them before they could warp regardless.

I guess its possible SE did add some sort of strategy to these things to keep them around to be killed, but its just much easier to zerg the shit out of them.

Its not like theyre that hard. We did Kunai immediately after DL, without any 2 hours available.
    It depends how many people show up. Killing with 50 people is easy. Killing with 30 means you probably want to know how to intimidate.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably plan to have someone kite away the extra shields with either flee or w. legs while we engage the shield.

Depending on attendance we may have an Annihilator & Bartedeau present for the fight which may help although with the #'s we typically bring I doubt either was a problem.

My main concern had been how to deal with the satellites and as long as people pay attention to not resting on pull that shouldn't pose a problem. Unfortunately one of the banes of large person Dynamis can be small details like this when people don't listen to the simple stuff.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Oh, make sure everyone has poison pots incase sleepga goes off. o.ob (Ich please correct me fast if the shield doesn't sleepga and I'm just sleepga'ing at work.)

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It can do Sleepga? I thought that was the Horn, Staff & not sure of any others...

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    It can do Sleepga? I thought that was the Horn, Staff & not sure of any others...
    Scythe can as well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast