+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Maybe this is all just a beta test for spore..

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Quote Originally Posted by Iku
    THIS THREAD CAN GO TO HELL.
    Somewhere, Pat Robertson's head is exploding.

rofl

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi
    Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    I've seen this debate a bunch of times, I'll just add a little bit to it.

There is nothing in the Bible that doesn't make sense to me when you add CONTEXT.

The first five books of the Bible (read: Genesis/creation explanation) was written by Moses. God told Moses the things that happened before Moses existed. If you honestly believe God is going to explain about genes and Big bangs to a human with absolutely no knowledge of such things you're a fool. There is GOOD REASON to believe the "Creation story" was simply the easiest way for God to make sense to these people.

Also, the rest of the Bible was written by people who experienced these things, so while there are metaphors and such, it's completely different from Genesis -> Moses' story because of the authors hands-on knowledge of the events.

My personal theory on everything: No stance. I wasn't there and you cannot prove anything is correct unless there is a God and He shows you how it happened on DVD.
    I really like the way you said that. Up until now I couldn't really think of a way to give credit to the probabilaty of the bible being true, but now I can. I really really like this idea. Thanks.
    Did you go to a catholic high school by any chance eagle? i remember hearing your position told the same way by my senior year teacher (who was the best religion teacher i had although thats not saying much). heres my problem with it:

1- The Torah is over 3300 years old. To think that it hasnt been subject to some change in that time is naive.
    2- The whole god told Moses thing is crap, to me at least. If some guy came down from a mountain today holding two tablets saying god told him to write the rules they read we would call him crazy. times were different then, people we dumber and more impresionable.
    3 -As far as the rest of the bible goes, its bs too. when constantine converted the roman empire to catholocism he assimilated the bible, picking and choosing which books to have included. while this calls into question its credibility, to me at least, the rest of the old testament excluding the torah are more or less a bunch of stories/parables that deal less with creation and more with everyday trials of individuals (as you said).

sooooo basically i agree with you, because i see you refuting the argument that evolution is false because it is not in the bible. that is an argument made by idiots.
    @Magus: Thanks.

@Andarvi: Never done anything with catholics, haven't been to a single mass ever. This is basically my conclusion after listening to my best friends parents, experience with Churches and on forums and thinking about it for a while.

1) While this may be true, there would've been a LOT of care in staying true to these words, these were sacred documents back in this time and there are early translations from Greek and Hebrew from the first couple centuries AD.

2) If some guy came down from a mountain shortly after he marched you out of hundreds of years of slavery and parted the Red Sea in front of you, something tells me you'd believe him. However, the Bible also covers this when it says people didn't trust him so much, which is why they were punished to roaming the desert for a generation

3) That doesn't mean the books are in any way false. It just means there could be more relevant information for us to know about everything. One thing I don't like about Churches and especially Catholicism is that they have a certain brand they want you to believe. But that's not what Jesus wanted/wants (imo) and not how I follow things. And you're correct with the Old Testament, it's somewhat of a documentation on prophet life at parts.

My personal interpretation of the Bible is that it's the ultimate how-to-live-life book. Whether you think things in the Bible are stupid or not does not concern me, but almost everything the Bible says you 'should' do will have positive effects on your life. Such as: Don't murder/steal that whole basic thing, then also prayer = meditation, how many people take some time to themselves to settle down? How many people go to a shrink to talk about things? Well even just a friend to chat about what's been going on, do those things not help you emotionally/mentally? The Bible tells you to take care of your body, treat it like a temple, see how much of a problem obesity is today?

I could give a few more examples but I'm sure you more than get the point. That to me is what shows me the Bible is accurate, we have things documented from 2k years ago that psychologists are just now coming to tell us is good for us in the last few decades.

Sorry for the rant, in between BQ pops atm >.>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6