Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cover question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Cover question

I briefly looked around for any posts about this but I'm assuming it's pretty well known and maybe I just don't know it. Or maybe I'm blind and didn't see where someone mentioned it...

Anywho, just tried Hydra the other day with my LS (we know the drops suck it was late and those awake were bored and no one wants Hydra so it was an easy claim) we were doing really good with only 2 WHM and sort of a half-assed alliance since it was late.. got its heads down, were ripping its HP apart, bla bla bla...

I went as PLD/NIN and whenever I tried to Cover the other tanks it totally had no effect >_> I was standing right in front of them... now to my knowledge the LS has never fought a wyrm yet so this is new to us. No one was sure why Cover wasn't working... I'm almost positive it was the positioning but iono lol. Any Advice?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Positioning.
    If you were standing on its feet like it was a dragon, thats why, cover has a requirement that you actually be sort of in the face of the monster. Theres a way to position with the person you're covering to be on an angle to avoid this, but I could never figure out how to make it work 100% of the time.

Getting hydra down to 45% with just a war, nin, brd, and whm.. pretty easy.

Watching some JPs take over with a full alliance and getting him UP to 60% before wiping.. priceless.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

edited your topic title to reflect the actual question, not something stupid

New Merits
    BG Level

I had the same problem during Hydra, I think it might have been because I was too far inside of Hydra's hit box that it didn't register as me being in front of it, but where I stand seems to work fine for Tiamat/Fafnir and other HNMs just fine. It might have to do with a fucked up hitbox made for Hydra, but it could just as well be our fault.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I've had issues with cover before where I was sure I was in the correct position but still wasn't actually taking the damage for the person.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've always had problems with Cover on Fafnir, it's most likely an issue with the angle you and your partner are standing at relative to the mob. Not in its face, no Cover. You both would have to move a little closer to the face, and position yourselves at the right angle, else it's not going to work.

That's ignoring the whole "if you're in their face you die" issue though, so like...yea...

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    edited your topic title to reflect the actual question, not something stupid
    BRAVO! :D

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    I had the same problem during Hydra, I think it might have been because I was too far inside of Hydra's hit box that it didn't register as me being in front of it, but where I stand seems to work fine for Tiamat/Fafnir and other HNMs just fine. It might have to do with a fucked up hitbox made for Hydra, but it could just as well be our fault.
    Yeah I was wondering about perhaps being too close also... I was kinda tired and didn't feel like typing a whole lot though so I just sorta let it go XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    I've always had problems with Cover on Fafnir, it's most likely an issue with the angle you and your partner are standing at relative to the mob. Not in its face, no Cover. You both would have to move a little closer to the face, and position yourselves at the right angle, else it's not going to work.

That's ignoring the whole "if you're in their face you die" issue though, so like...yea...
    The main PLD/WAR wasn't standing on the feet and he wasn't taking too much damage so I suppose Hydra's breath may not be too bad (Crest Toothpaste Ftw lawl)... other wyrms tho...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Getting cover to work correctly on stuff like Fafnir/Hydra/Tiamat/etc is a matter of angles just like previous posters said. There is probably some single point on the mob that is considered its "attack point" and the cover check is line-of-sight. I had a problem getting it to work on Hydra myself.

If you want to cover someone on the left paw of the mob, you have to line yourself up on the right-side of the left foot and hope it works. Of course, on some mobs, that puts you directly in the way of breath. Sometimes its not worth the trouble.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Ok thanks alot for the info guys, hopefully I can figure out the angle based on this info and work it out the next time we fight Hydra ^^

/salute