+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Smoking in Australia (graphic, not for the faint hearted)

Cigarette packets now must contain these images, 30% from the front of the pack, and 90% of the back must be covered with these.

The good news is, it's worked well, a lot of people dont even want to buy smokes anymore because of these images, it's giving them a reality check to what they could be doing to themselves and everyone around them.
    It's kinda funny, my sister works at a store that sells smokes, and she always tells me that people tell her "Can you give me a packet without the pictures on it?" , when she relies no, there's none available, they just dont buy any at all.

The bad news is there's now a large market for cigarette-packet holders, because nobody wants to look at the ugly pics.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7803/smokingmh3.jpg

This is a pic here of the least graphic one, this is like extremely G rated. If you cant stomach what some realities of smoking are, do not click on the following link.

http://www.smoke-free.ca/warnings/Austr ... rnings.htm

Now these are not only on cigarette packets, but these are advertisements on TV.
    Here's the one with the mouth cancer! Yay 4 youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjrkBYDDQM

So how harsh is your country on smoking?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Your country's phone numbers are 6 numbers? That's crazy.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Your country's phone numbers are 6 numbers? That's crazy.
    No, only special phone numbers like that. Our phone numbers are 7-8 digits, mine is (9XXX - 5XXX)

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My world and everything I've ever believed in has been shattered.

But seriously we get a shitty General's Warning label on the box that says some shit. We really don't get any anti-smoking stuff except for thetruth.com ads. Those are pretty funny.

The sad part is in america the cigarette companies have alot of money and influence so they can sell flammable aids if they wanted to and nobody would blink twice.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    The sad part is in america the cigarette companies have alot of money and influence so they can sell flammable aids if they wanted to and nobody would blink twice.
    Also people are really, really stupid. Berke Breathed put it best (apologies for lousy scan quality)

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7457/dando1tx2.jpg
    http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4232/dando2sp3.jpg
    http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4166/dando3vb8.jpg
    http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8933/dando4rt1.jpg
    http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9948/dando5tg2.jpg
    http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/1783/dando6kq1.jpg

D: wish they had that in the US and at the same time I don't.. cause I don't like the people that smoke usually anyways and want them dead (or atleast gone from my presence for good ) ya, I'm a bitch, I don't care

The comic says it best. It's amazing how many peopel insist to make every single mistake themself before they believe that it's really a bad idea. Hopefully whatever it is that causes that in people will succumb to natural selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    The comic says it best. It's amazing how many peopel insist to make every single mistake themself before they believe that it's really a bad idea. Hopefully whatever it is that causes that in people will succumb to natural selection.
    Exactly, stupid pictures won't make stupid people not do stupid things. I don't smoke, not because all of the info against it, or how it will harm me and innocent bunny rabbits beside me. I do it because I work hard enough to keep my body in the shape it is...and to progress backwards in this life is just a stupid thing to do. You only have one life, to potentially fuck alot of it up for such an insignificant habit, is a pretty easy decision for me.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i just quit smoking, but when i was still smoking, seeing "the truth" ads always made me want to light up

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I still dont understand why there isnt like a 50$ tax to each pack of cigs.

A) It will stop a lot of people from smoking
    B) If not, then the dumbfucks get to pay off our national dept, thanks :o

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

that is really really awesome, im glad to see your country is taking an aggressive stance towards smoking.

canada is similar but not quite as graphically intensive. Take a look at our warning

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/ph ... dex_e.html

honestly i wish our packaging were more graphic similar to australia's but i think there might be some kind or legislation saying they cant be TOO scary... some of those AU ones are fucking freaky, like that eyeball one @@

obviously i don't smoke but unfortunately my wife does and i harass her about it everytime i see her go for her pack (she smoke about a pack every 2 days cost is 10$CDN a pack roughly).

not only is it expensive (up to 300$ a month is smoking a pack a day) but it is extremely unhealthy for me and my newborn baby. I force my wife to smoke outside on the deck and she is VERY VERY good about never smoking anywhere near our child. If she ever did or if i ever caught her i would get VERY upset.

i hope to see more countries that take an aggressive stance like yours Wakfik its give me hope for the future.

too bad the governments are making so much money from the taxes and what not from a product that is highly addictive. you would think if they actually wanted you to quit they would make it illegal. i believe the labels are just there, not enforced by the governments that print, them but more enforced by the private groups and other non-profit charities that commit so much funds to the governments that are now forced to put these labels on.

basically something like GroupA "yo government u print these labels on all packs or we not going to give donate funds to you anymore" GovernmentA "well shit nikkahs we make so much money from these why you wanna play us like that, we will print yo labels but we get a say in how crazy the GFX are"

i carried on a bit too much in this post and i don't think i outline my points very clearly, but this subject is very touchy with me because ive lost many relative's and friends to diseases caused by smoking, and i dont want to see my wife or child going the same way.

BTW when my lil girl is a teenager she will get a fucking whooping if i ever catch her smoking

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Rofl @ The Dandelion Snorting Causing Divorce.

I did some research, looking up on the effects of secondhand smoke. I was kind of curious because of that movie (Penn and Teller) posted in another thread talking about how harmless secondhand smoke really is.

I honestly can't find anything that says secondhand smoke is anything but harmful. The more I look into it, the more I question the motives of those guys airing a show about how safe it supposedly is. They cite one study that didn't do the research very honestly and somehow make the leap that because one team didn't do good research that secondhand smoke is entirely harmless. That's like saying that if A=B and C=D, then B=C. The US, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Bhutan, and New Zealand have all started legislating major smoking bans, each with their own team of researchers and their own data on the subject. This alone shows that people all around the world are coming to the conclusion that secondhand smoke is a valid concern.

If you're going to target bad practice, then why not look at what the tobacco companies are doing. Here's a few examples Wikipedia had:
    * Libertarian: the industry has sought to position the passive smoking debate as essentially concerned with civil liberties and smokers' "rights" rather than with health.
    * Funding bias in research: in all reviews of the effects of passive smoking on health published between 1980 and 1995, the only factor associated with concluding that passive smoking is not harmful was whether an author was affiliated with the tobacco industry
    * Delaying and discrediting legitimate research: Australia
    Basically, it seems that even secondhand smoke is unhealthy. Also it seems that it's unwise to trust a show called "Bullshit".

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I wish they would make smoking illegal (but of course that'll make people want to do it even more like to comic said, but at least they'd keep it in their own homes). Like Sheade said as far as I know second hand smoking can be more harmful than actually smoking. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one but I've heard that many times.

It sickens me that I have no desire to smoke and don't want anything to do with it. Yet when I go to restaurants or shopping I get to have it come right to me through the air.

I guess I need to move to australia now.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

B) If not, then the dumbfucks get to pay off our national dept, thanks
    Agreed, if it's bad enough to tax it then go all out. Eventually smokers will try to make their own cigs and get themselves killed smoking bad shit.

Sounds like a foolproof plan to me, $40 from every pack can go into the paysethmacfarlanetoneverstopmakingfamilyguys fund.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

My country sells cigarettes with pictures of black lungs, clogged blood vessels with lotsa whitish stuff in it, complete set of black teeth and some other disgusting shit pictures on the labels. Almost as bad as the ones in the link.

That eyeball one will haunt my sleep for weeks.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

B) If not, then the dumbfucks get to pay off our national dept, thanks
    The cigs in Canada are heavily taxed, and they have the graphic pictures on the packs too.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I love hearing smokers trying to defend themselves..

"Yeah.. um, well, aside the fact that im living in a trailer home and spending what little money I have on cigs and lottery tickets, they get to take years off my life and make people around me sick.. um, oh! and it makes me feel relaxed!"

Theres no positive reason to smoke, does it make you feel good or relaxed? Go masturbate then.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Theres no positive reason to smoke, does it make you feel good or relaxed? Go masturbate then.
    Gold.

Smoking is retarded, lolsash.