FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

RDM PSA from Septimus

Dear Red Mages of Vana'diel,

It has come to my attention that a wave of gimpness has gripped much of the Red Mage populace of Final Fantasy XI. I am writing this to let you know that our JSE gear, the Wise set, is not as good as people seem to believe it is. Simply put, Wise gear rarely ever is.

I know that some people are very upset with this fact; their very reality is crumbling around them. But we have to face the facts, for the most part there are much better alternatives to Wise gear for the most important functions that our job performs. The purpose of this post is the compare and contrast these gears.

Head

Wise Cap Lv.72 DEF:24
    MP+13 Accuracy+2 Ranged Accuracy+3 Magic Accuracy+5

Warlock's Chapeau Lv.60 DEF:23
    MP+20 INT+3 Elemental magic skill +10 Enhances "Fast Cast" effect

Elite Beret Lv.74 Def:28
    Divine magic skill+4 Enfeebling magic skill+4 Elemental magic skill+4
    Summoning magic skill+4

The 5 magical accuracy on Wise Cap makes it a decent piece for enfeebling and dark magic spells. The 10 elemental skill and 3 INT on Warlock's Chapeau makes it a far better piece for magic bursting (the 5 INT on the +1 version is even more attractive), and the Fast Cast simply cannot be beat when it comes to Refresh and Haste. But, the 4 Enfeebling skill on Elite Beret means that Wise Cap is only marginally better for enfeebling spells.

Body

Chasuble Lv.72 Def:43
    MP+20 Accuracy+5 Magic Accuracy+5 Enmity-2

Warlock's Tabard Lv.58 Def:44
    MP+14 CHR+5 Spell interruption rate 10% down Enfeebling magic skill+15

Warlock's Tabard+1 Lv.74 Def:44
    MP+34 Spell interruption rate 12% down Enfeebling magic skill+15
    MP recovered while healing+5

Errant Houppelande Lv.72 Def:42
    STR-7 DEX-7 VIT-7 AGI-7 INT+10 MND+10 CHR+10 Enmity-3
    MP recovered while healing+5

The 5 magical accuracy on Chasuble is only useful for Dark magic spells. The 15 Enfeebling magic skill on the free Warlock's Tabard simply stomps all over the Chasuble's face. Testing on magical accuracy shows that it is a generic stand in for magical skills, since 15 is greater than 5, if you enfeeble in a Chasuble you should delete your character right now. Some people will say that the 10 INT on Errant Houppelande make it arguably equal to the accuracy on the Chasuble, I shall make no such claim. People also have said that Chasuble is a decent Convert piece since it has 20MP, if MP is that important, upgrade to AF+1 or get some rings.

Hands

Wise Gloves Lv.72 Def:16
    MND+4 Accuracy+3 Ranged Accuracy+2 Enmity-2

Devotee's Mitts Lv.27 Def:5
    MP+8 INT-4 MND+5

Devotee's Mitts+1 Lv.27 Def:6
    MP+9 INT-3 MND+6

Mst.Cst. Bracelets Lv.65 Def:0
    In areas outside own nation's control: INT+1 MND+1 Enfeebling magic skill+7
    Elemental magic skill+7

Yigit Gages Lv.72 Def:17
    INT+5 MND+5 Evasion+4 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+2

The only benefit from the Wise Gloves is trumped by a pair of gloves that can be equipped at level 27. Although there is a negative INT stat on the Devotee's Mitts, it is easily remedied with a gear swap since INT and MND are never used at the same time. Yigit Gages are also available and have MND and INT to remove one gear swap from your macros. Every Red Mage should own a pair of Master Caster Bracelets, the 7 enfeebling skill when Signet is active in areas not under your region's control (including Dynamis and Sea) makes them the ultimate enfeebling power hand wear.

Legs

Wise Braconi Lv.72 Def:32
    MP+17 Accuracy+1 Magic Accuracy+2 Enmity-4

Errant Slops Lv.72 Def:38
    STR-5 DEX-5 VIT-5 AGI-5 INT+7 MND+7 CHR+7 Enmity-3

Mahatma Slops Lv.72 Def:39
    STR-6 DEX-6 VIT-6 AGI-6 INT+8 MND+8 CHR+8 Enmity-4

Duelist's Tights Lv.73 Def:33
    MP+16 DEX+5 Elemental magic skill+10 Enhances effect of "Spikes" spells

The leg slot comes down to a matter of priorities. Personally, I do not think that it is at all subjective to say that comparing 2 magical accuracy to 7/8 INT/MND is silly- the potency from Errant/Mahatma will help your spells more than 2 accuracy. (Especially considering the presence of even NQ elemental staves.) Spells like Paralyze and Slow mean nothing if you do not have the oomph behind them to actually make them work. (Proc rate for Paralyze and percentage of speed reduction for Slow.) Duelist's Tights are also a much better piece than Wise Braconi for magic bursts because of the amount of skill.

Feet

Wise Pigaches Lv.72 Def:14
    INT+4 Accuracy+2 Ranged Accuracy+3 Enmity-1

Duelist's Boots Lv.71 Def:15
    MP+15 MND+4 Evasion skill+5 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+4

Yigit Crackows Lv.72 Def:11
    INT+3 MND+3 Evasion+5"Magic Atk. Bonus"+2

Warlock's Boots+1 Lv.74 Def:15
    MP+16 AGI+3 INT+3 MND+3 Shield skill+10

Finally, we get to a slot where Wise is clearly better than anything else with one more INT than the two closest competitors. (The only other RDM-equipable footwear with +4 INT are T.M. Pigaches+2, and those only work with Signet in areas under your nation's control.) Duelist's Boots are included because of the 4 MAB for magic bursting.

Summation

Out of the 5 pieces in the Wise set, only two of them (feet and head not counting Relic) are clearly better than gear that is readily available, and even then the differences are marginal at best. The majority of situations you can buy better gear off of the auction house, get better gear through conquest or assault points, open up a coffer for AF, upgrade your existing AF through Limbus, or go to city Dynamis runs.

The problem with magical accuracy is that it is never in high enough quantities to be worthwhile, skill that you find on Artifact and Relic armor is better simply because there is so much more of it. (Two to tem times more depending on the item.)

Thank you for your time, and happy Red Magery.

Forum Donator
    BG Level

Amen.

I use Wise Cap on Aspir and Drain macros. That's about it.

You forgot to mention nashira head and (often) feet completely trumping wise.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

I have Wise Gloves +1 and Wise Pigaches +1.

I use gloves because when I'm putting 'em on for MND I get -3 enmity too. Pretty simple. o_o I wouldn'tve paid the AH price for em, but I got lucky with a synth so of course I'ma keep them.

Feet were a present from a quitting friend. 5 INT cannot be trumped, and the enmity down stat on the feet are good too.

I'm one of those RDM that doesn't own MC Bracelets because I really, REALLY hate nation missions in this game and don't want to go through that crap with Windurst to rank 8. Call me lazy, but I don't think it's worth it. Stacking skill only gets you so far, and I'm at the point where the only thing that will still significantly affect my ability to enfeeble is an AF2 hat.

Anyway, it's a stretch to say the cap is worth it either. I used an HQ cap versus HQ beret and didn't see much difference at all. Dark magic aside, I still think it's junk

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Estuans interius
    ira vehementi
    Estuans interius
    ira vehementi
    SEPTIROTH
    SEPTIROTH

http://sonomaa.com/bg/septiroth.jpg

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thank you, now if only more people read these forums. =(

It'd be filled with idiots asking what lolsash is...

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

this is a chart that shows optimal gear for RDM

http://64.39.26.234/limitbreak/files/eq ... dmage.html

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by masag0
    this is a chart that shows optimal gear for RDM

http://64.39.26.234/limitbreak/files/eq ... dmage.html
    SHOULDA GIVEN THAT NIRUTA SASH TO A RDM, DUH

That list is retarded. You can't just put RDM gear into categories like that. Each spell you cast requires a different combination of gear. Simply loading up on enfeebling, or MND, or INT to the max isn't getting the most out of your spells, not to mention it depends on what kind of mob you're casting on.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Although it's race-dependent and not applicable to Septimus, River Gaiters make the wise feet look even worse. Accepting the HQ of a JSE set will never really be the standard.

The worst one to see on should-be-competent RDMs to me is the braconi; our server had a significant portion of hume male idiot RDMs who needlessly idolize an unskilled, non-gear-swapping JP RDM (who wears it) and worship the braconi. Even Nashira Serawheels considered, a lot of the time 8MND/8INT is just really too damn good, forgetting the -enmity. Fuck.. even those damn jet serawheels > wise braconi. =/ Sigh.. cue the sad panda picture, just talking about the braconi upsets me.

New Merits
    BG Level

another thing about wise gear is that it's godawful ugly.. jesus christ

edit: WTF? thanatos baselard for enfeebling skill? what retard wrote up this list?

staves should be used for everything cept for stoneskin

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius

That list is retarded. You can't just put RDM gear into categories like that. Each spell you cast requires a different combination of gear. Simply loading up on enfeebling, or MND, or INT to the max isn't getting the most out of your spells, not to mention it depends on what kind of mob you're casting on.
    I don't think the point of the list is an actual recommended equipment list, I think it's actually relatively useful as a reference for a RDM who wants to boost a particular stat, to see what the "optimum" piece for that slot might be (i.e. +INT on the feet or whatnot). Obviously, that might not be the ONLY option, but it's the best one.

I did notice there was no +MP category, though.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Friends dont let friends wear wise gear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hi,

You can have 350+ enfeebling and still not land enfeebles for shit.

Keep that in mind as you play RDM.

♥,Mifaco

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I know you left off Northlands gear, but Nashira pieces are slightly easier to get (imo) than those pieces.

Head
    Nashira Turban
    Magic Accuracy+5 Enmity-5 Haste+2% Spell interruption rate 10% down

Gives the same mag acc, but also gives some -enmity and a touch of haste for better recasts.

Body
    Nashira Manteel
    Healing magic skill+5 Dark magic skill +5 Magic Accuracy+5 Haste+3%

Pretty much destroys the Chasuble in every way shape and form. Same +mag acc, and gives +dark skill which increases accuracy and potency. And yet again haste to reduce the recast timers.

Yigit Gomlek
    Magic Attack Bonus +5

You mentioned other nuking pieces (lol), this is another RDMs could use.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Friends dont let friends wear wise gear.
    Some people really need friends on Fenrir, Kuno.

We all know that people play RDM just to Refresh and Haste, what this nonsense you say about Enfeebling Magic?! Everyone knows RDMs have no SKILL in Enfeebling, so it's best to just leave it up to the WHMs, BLMs BRD/WHMs and the RNG/WHMs.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

(including Dynamis and Sea)
    For real? I had brought a pair of Master Caster's Mitts up to Sea on my THF and didn't notice the eva skill change on them, but I can't remember now if I had Signet on or not. The bracelets work for you in those areas? Also, I had assumed since I thought they don't function in Sea that they don't function in new areas (Mire/Thickets for ex), but do they after all?

Also, how do you rank those Errant Cuffs? 20 MP, 5 INT and -2 Enmity? And are the nashira pants worth pursuing for a RDM? I have a RDM friend who I push into all her gear, so I must ask.

Oh and can we have a thread like this for anyone who wears a Barone Zucchetto? :/

Edit: GG you people respond fast. >.>

I'd wear Errant gear over Wise just based on pride and looks, nevermind the stats (although they tend to help)

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

meh, get off masa's ass about the list. it's not "what you should use", it's a compilation of the best choice for the slot per stat listed. maybe it's unrealistic, but it could be helpful for newer endgame rdms.

masa's the best equipped NA RDM on our server (along with hashi also in his LS) as far as I see, and Im pretty sure he knows what hes doing

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Michaera
    For real? I had brought a pair of Master Caster's Mitts up to Sea on my THF and didn't notice the eva skill change on them, but I can't remember now if I had Signet on or not. The bracelets work for you in those areas?
    Yes, MC Bracelets work in sea.

And are the nashira pants worth pursuing for a RDM? I have a RDM friend who I push into all her gear, so I must ask.
    I've been toying with my recently acquired Nashira Seraweels, and like them a lot. The combination of +Enfeebling Skill and +Magic Accuracy (only piece in the game with both) is potent. However, I haven't quite given up on my Errant (sorry, not Mahatma) Slops quite yet.

Generally speaking, the higher the skill, the more likely to land the enfeeble, the higher the stat, the more effective the enfeeble becomes. If you're going to land your enfeeble 99% of the time anytime (like most endgame HNMLS RDM's will), the Seraweels are probably overkill compared to the Errant/Mahatma. However, if you're fighting something with a high resist rate, the Slops are certainly beneficial.

What I'm still trying to determine is, on the "all or nothing" enfeebles such as Silence, Sleep, Gravity, what increases the duration on a partial resist. Is it worth macroing in the +stat gear for those? I tend to think no on those spells, but yes on the Paralyze/Slow/Blind enfeebles which have varying degrees of success.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast