+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heavy Rain- PS3 Tech Demo     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yeah, but it's fresher then PS3 vs Wii vs Xbox360 round 237

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Nice graphics, but it doesn't mean the system will have any fun games on it, just pretty ones. So many people get caught up in the flashy shiny aspects of a next generation system that they forget that every leap forward is another brick wall keeping new developers from creating original games and helping established developers spend enormous budgets on the same old shit they know for sure will sell year after year after year.
    cause nintendo has amazing inovations like.. mario spin offs of every kind? ya.... not really bleh.. *shrugs* let's just wait and see.

Haha, this should be fun :D

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Yeah, but it's fresher then PS3 vs Wii vs Xbox360 round 237
    Who said anything about PS3 vs Wii vs XBox? I couldn't care less about any of that. My point is that next generation consoles all focus on the graphical appeal over the gameplay, which leaves us mostly with a bunch of gold plated shit for games.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    cause nintendo has amazing inovations like.. mario spin offs of every kind? ya.... not really bleh.. *shrugs* let's just wait and see.

Haha, this should be fun :D
    I agree. They sell what they know will sell. The golden age of game design is gone. We're now in an age where innovative games like Spore come once a decade, and only by established businesses.

we do need more creators like Will Wright.. he's one of the few that truly has a desire to work on his games 100% of his time. Hehe... *shrugs* oh well.. I dunno.. compared to other interviews I've seen, he seems to be the only one really enthusiastic about his games and his work. Hehe..

Edit:you're no fun btw I was hoping for some nintendo vs sony vs microsoft action of amusement

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    Edit:you're no fun btw I was hoping for some nintendo vs sony vs microsoft action of amusement
    I've been down that road a thousand times already. ^_~

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Aside from the mouth not matching what was being said the animation in that vid rocked. It seemed though the mouth got better as she got further into the speech. And I like how she wasn't "perfect" looking too. MAde it seem more realistic imo.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

cause nintendo has amazing inovations like
    Rat flail.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Gold plated?

It just means that companies are able to spend more money/time on the engine they use for there game... How it applys textures with distance and lighting...

Saying that most future games are gonna be based off looks at not gameplay is far from the truth... the story/characters/functions can only get better with a more realistic look and feel.

Thats like saying all games are shit since they turned 3D.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The more I watch it, the more I like that monologue. It's not an epic monologue, but there is something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler
    Thats like saying all games are shit since they turned 3D.
    To a certain extend, that's true. To some extend, it's not.

Think of Hollywood. The budget for a movie is massive, so the producer of the movie is going to make damn sure that the movie sells. Not that it's a good movie, not that it has a good message, not that it's new or innovative, but that it makes enough money to pay for the budget. What do you do? Play it safe. Stick to what you know works. Think of Blade and it's sequels and all the movies like it.

Now look at the game industry. Did you know when there was a time before games had very defined genres? What do we have now:
    - FPS
    - RPG
    - FPS
    - Side Scroller
    - NFL
    - FPS
    - RTS
    - MMO
    - FPS
    - MMORPG
    - Platform
    - MMOFPS
    - RPG
    - FPS
    - SIM
    - Puzzle
    - FPS
    - FPS

Whatever happened to the creation of new genres? What ever happened to games like Actraiser that blurred the genres? Where have all the adventure games gone? Where's AI?

They died to big budgets.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ever since I got my hands on my first console at the age of 4-5 (Atari 2700) which is 18 years of loving and loathing of games, I am yet to be disapointed with the new innovations that come out to date...

The generation you was born in will effect your opinion

Such as "Space Invaders, Centerpeed and Robin Hood"....

but to the generation after me... it will be...

"Sonic, Mario-Kart, Zelda (Gold Cart), Golden Axe and Hurricane Wing"

after that....

"Golden Eye, Gran Turismo, Tekken, GTA and Star Fox"

.... I would say the future for games is more than promising. If you wanna be a Retro Enthusiast then fine by me... The next year or so will prolly be the most important time for games in well over 10 years.

Why you ask? There are more programmers and game designers than ever before... there is more money in this market than ever. Plus more developers are able to try out there new innovations with little hassle due to the support from console makers.

Adventure is a really vague genre, since what you do in said adventure defines the game more then the "Adventure" tag ever could. You do on an adventure when you play a FF game, you go on an adventure when you play a Sonic game, you go on an adventure when you play a Tomb Raider game.

Really, how do you define the genre, because there's already another one waiting to pick up the title.

You have lots of "blurred" genres, mostly they're just the fusion of 2 existing ones (fighting+rpg, rpg+strategy, racing+shooting). Back in the day people didn't care enough about games to give them genres, now it's more popular it's in that advantage that you label games, I don't know how many more genres you need, realistic genre? Look around...

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I had an atari, and while those games were fun (tried playing E.T. again last week couldn't remember what to do lmao), I definitely think video games have come a long and good way from where they were. you say everything now is fps shooter, but let's take the time and count how many side-scroller/2-dfighter games there were for the snes.....

Only downside I see lately in games and it's probably related to the taking too much time on graphics thing, is rpg games never seem to take the 60+ hours that they used to on the snes :X aside from FF games.

I'm more worried about too many rpg companies jumping on the bandwagon of MMORPGs and leave their consol rpgs behind. I guess we'll see what they're like when the ps3 comes out.

MMORPGs are nice but for me they can never beat a good console RPG. FFXI and RO are the only MMOs I've enjoyed playing because of the people I met, but both are pretty awful games, MMOs feel restricted but console RPGs are big flashy and varied. Most MMOs can't tell a story for shit either.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    MMORPGs are nice but for me they can never beat a good console RPG. FFXI and RO are the only MMOs I've enjoyed playing because of the people I met, but both are pretty awful games, MMOs feel restricted but console RPGs are big flashy and varied. Most MMOs can't tell a story for shit either.
    I totally agree. But considering Wow's population rise too many companies may think mmo is the way to go. and I hope to god they don't do that. I like my consol games. :D

I have yet to play a decent platformer since the crash bandicoot series. /sad panda.

EDIT: Holy Fuck forgot about ratchet and clank, mah bad guys mah bad.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler
    .... I would say the future for games is more than promising. If you wanna be a Retro Enthusiast then fine by me... The next year or so will prolly be the most important time for games in well over 10 years.

Why you ask? There are more programmers and game designers than ever before... there is more money in this market than ever. Plus more developers are able to try out there new innovations with little hassle due to the support from console makers.
    I think just the opposite. Games are more expensive than ever, and whenever the consoles and PC hardware is bumped up in power, the cost of producing a game goes up as well. Producing all those high-res textures, high-poly count models, and insanely intricate levels is a huge time-sink. Time = money, and that means fewer producers will be willing to gamble the multi-millions of dollars it takes to create a game. There's just too many variables that can (and have) caused games to fail or do very poorly.

I remember reading on MSNBC that the video game industry is losing money at this point. Too many games with too little content and too much eye candy. I'm hoping that production houses will begin to value game play over the latest cutting-edge techniques of getting water to render more realistically. The sad thing is they have more tools to develop jaw-dropping games than ever, and it's only going to get better as far as hardware goes. All of that doesn't mean squat if the game sucks.

I think devs DO think about gameplay, but really only a certain amount of people have the talent needed to create a good game. I think it's hard to create a game that good, so many things to think about and everything needs to be right to make an epic game, UI, Control scheme (important), graphics, story, characters and development (important), balancing, pacing (some games have very bad pacing), music and sound effects (important), physics, animation and those creative quirks that go into the characters and so on all need to be considered, not as easy as saying this game as bad gameplay, why does it have bad gameplay? Very often it's because it's been done before, more often then not it's because it has a bad control scheme or the story is cliche and boring.

It's easy to say people need to focus on gameplay, but it's alot easier said then done.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ya, I totally agree. I was using "game-play" to encompass everything that makes a great game a, well, great game outside of graphics. Even a cludgy UI can be looked past as long as it doesn't detract from the game too much or make it unnecessarily difficult. I blame marketing and management for turning what probably starts off as a great idea for a game into nothing more than a stroll down eye candy lane. (I'm sure there's exceptions where a game is started from the ground floor as nothing but eye candy. *waves at Doom III*)