+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Yay/Nay Dirge of Cerberus?

Worth picking up? Or is it worth waiting until it's in the 20$ bin? It got a 6 on GS, but I'm hearing mixed things. Anyone get it yet?

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2296

watch or read the reviews. They fixed it up for american fans a bit to be a bit more like Devil May Cry (it's in the review) but there are a few fucked up things appearantly. I dunno, might wait for them to make it for a "Best Sellers" or Gold Edition (if they do) if it fixes that stuff.. I dunno.. I'm pretty tempted to get it so I can play through and see how the story is. It sounds like it's better than DMC story wise (seeing it actually lasts longer than like.. 3 hours D: I swear.. DMC is rather easy to beat even on hard and doesn't take all that long imo ) anyways.. ya.. personally, I'd say ya, get it, but up to you.

Groovebox

http://www.1up.com has a good review, they go over a lot of things that SE did wrong or whatever. They gave it 4/10

If it's anything like the DMC series, I'd say rent it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Groovebox
    If it's anything like the DMC series, I'd say rent it.
    Originally thats how DoC was perceived as and that made people want to play it, however in later reviews when it came out in JP, it was reported that it's nothing like DMC and more like a crappy second person shooter with a decent storyline.

So I definitly think its a renter.

Honestly, it looks stupid to me.

I can't imagine it's a game designed for the purpose of being a fun game. My guess is that it's a game designed to sell a product to raving FFVII fans.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Honestly, it looks stupid to me.

I can't imagine it's a game designed for the purpose of being a fun game. My guess is that it's a game designed to sell a product to raving FFVII fans.
    Like snakes on a plane.

Renter, unless the changes are significant enough from the JP version to make it fun to play until you finish it.

do people just.. completely pass over posts before and miss that I said they did change it gameplay-wise from the JP version for the US? XD (not SOO much but ya, they did change it a bit and such). Just check out that gametrailer site's review. I think it's pretty good. And I did play it at the Anime Expo for a bit, it was enjoyable.

I know there are changes, but I did say "significant enough". I'd have to play the NA version to tell you, I stopped playing the JP version because there are better ways to torture myself.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    do people just.. completely pass over posts before and miss that I said they did change it gameplay-wise from the JP version for the US? XD (not SOO much but ya, they did change it a bit and such). Just check out that gametrailer site's review. I think it's pretty good. And I did play it at the Anime Expo for a bit, it was enjoyable.
    Ive heard differently.

Friend played the E3 and JP versions of it, then got a free NA copy from work, says barely anything was changed and definitely not worth playing it again. Same thing people have been saying on a few game boards as well; IGN and RPGamer for two.

actually, some were pretty significant it looked (granted I've never played the JP version, this is outta the reviews I've read and the videos watched, hehe). The NA version was fun though.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

fucking nay

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire
    Ive heard differently.

Friend played the E3 and JP versions of it, then got a free NA copy from work, says barely anything was changed and definitely not worth playing it again. Same thing people have been saying on a few game boards as well; IGN and RPGamer for two.
    eh, well I've only played the NA version, I think it was fun. I could see myself getting bored after playing it too much and coming back after awhile (like with DMC and Dynasty Warrior games) but meh..

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes
    fucking nay
    qft
    EGM gave it like a 4, and they are the most reliable and blunt reviewers out there, they will give it the most honest review. Pretty much the word is that it is just a generic shooter, and the whole game as they put is "in a blue, green or yellow hallway". Another complaint is with the camera that they said it focuses on Vincent's hair more than the battle lol.
    I may give it a rent at some point, but read EGM's review in a book store or something. At the end of it they say something like "Square had a golden opportunity here that was completely wasted", which seems to be the case.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes
    fucking nay
    qft
    EGM gave it like a 4, and they are the most reliable and blunt reviewers out there, they will give it the most honest review. Pretty much the word is that it is just a generic shooter, and the whole game as they put is "in a blue, green or yellow hallway". Another complaint is with the camera that they said it focuses on Vincent's hair more than the battle lol.
    I may give it a rent at some point, but read EGM's review in a book store or something. At the end of it they say something like "Square had a golden opportunity here that was completely wasted", which seems to be the case.
    I played it and wanted to barf. I went back to playing some mediocre fps on my pc, and it was still assloads better than DoC. I know at least one person who is going to buy this game. She will also say it's awesome. I'll reply with, it's a shitty game that you bought and like cause it's fucking a fucking clit tease to your damn ffvii fandom. Oh noes they stamped final fantasy on it. IT MUST BE GOOD!

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Woo, you guys are awesome. I don't think I'll be getting this anytime soon, haha :D

It looks like absolute drivel.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's not terrible, they did fix it up a lot from the JP version though. You move a lot faster, and they added the ability to dash. They also changed the way Limit Breaks work to prevent you from just camping the Mako pools. It's nothing amazing, but it's not that bad either.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob
    It's not terrible...
    I did not pay any attention to anything you said after that. I played the NA version, and I don't know what kind of asstacular games you play, but this thing is not worth the DVD it was burned on. I rank it in my top 20 list where superman 64 is #1.

Groovebox

I remember reading an article in OPM awhile back talking about the development in this game, and the writer was saying how SE's not doing that great of a job because I guess gamers in japan have an overwhelming problem with FPS, like motion sickness and stuff.

SE probably should have stopped there, or outsourced a veteran FPS NA developer imo. I'm actually going to rent it now, I'm a FF fan regardless so I'll give it a shot