Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LOL puppetmaster nerf     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    I typically use FFV as the cited source for "traditional" FF, because there is the most similarities between the job mechanics of FFXI and FFV than between any other game in the series.
    In the case of the Geomancer, I typically refer to Tactics as the "traditional" rendition of the job, mostly because it was released in NA before FF5 was. If I recall correctly, the job found in FF5 was originally called an "Elementalist" or something like that, and was more akin to the Dancer job that Mog played in FF6. Geomancer was a name they tacked on to the job to make more sense after FFT was released when they were coming out with Final Fantasy Anthology.
    Well, to be honest, I'm not sure what the original Japanese name would have been for it, because I played FF5 on a fan-translated ROM on an SNES emulator. While the official NA version of FF5 might have been released after Tactics, the original japanese FF5 was released first and does set the foundation from which Tactics might later draw upon.

Since FF5 also had its own dancer class, I'm not sure I would associate Geomancer/Elementalist with it, either. But either way, whether they draw from Tactics or the main series, its not unheard of for SE to improve a traditional job that, well, sucked. Take Bard, for example. BRD in past FFs were absolutely useless. They are god in FFXI. But for the majority of jobs, at least the ones that were useful in the past, they've done a good job of preserving the basic principles and uniqueness of those jobs.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I don't think "spell selection" based on terrain would work that well really. Unless each zone had it's terrain and you were to have a BLU-like spell selection screen. The way I see it implemented is that potency is changed per spell depending on zone and weather. SE could rank each zone as having certain properties (I think they do this somewhat with what can be harvested/mined/chocobo dug) so each spell would have a certain amount of potency based on each zone.

Also, couldn't you equip Geomancers with Flail/whips and introduce a new weapon type to the game? Give Geomancers A- or A+ Flail and B Sword/Axe or something.

Masterofshade

Quote Originally Posted by Judah
    biggest Alla thread this week. keep up the good work guys.
    You do realize no one really likes you right? Way to rain on a parade, Congratulations! You're a cock bite.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    Also, couldn't you equip Geomancers with bells and introduce a new weapon type to the game? Give Geomancers A- or A+ Bell and B Sword/Axe or something.
    Ok.

Btw, I found the list of names that I think were the original JP names:

Naito (Knight)
    Monk
    Shiifo (Thief)
    Ryuukishi (Dragon Knight/Dragoon)
    Ninja
    Samurai
    Baasaakaa (Berserker)
    Karyuudo (Hunter)
    Mahoukenshi (Magic Swordsman)
    ShiroMadoushi (White Mage)
    KuroMadoushi (Black Mage)
    TokiMadoushi (Time Mage)
    Shoukanshi (Summoner)
    AoMadoushi (Blue Mage)
    AkaMadoushi (Red Mage)
    Majuutsukai (Monster Trainer)
    Kusurishi (Chemist)
    Fuusuishi (Elemental Mage)
    Ginyuushijin (Bard)
    Odoriko (Dancer)

And a nice little bandwith-stealing leech link of a job chart:
    EDIT: Guess you'll have to cut & paste.
    http://members.tripod.com/dark_shaman_e ... 5class.jpg

Though I'm not sure anyone can read the kanji for those jobs (in fine print underneath the english descriptions).

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Tripod'd.

Banned.

BG Level

No new weapon types... SE already explained how it would be unbalancing.

Anyway, for the edition I made, I guess bells would take the place of dolls/totems I talked about. Thunder Bell, Water Bell, ect.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

lolbells. why dont we just use different colored flowers to cast spells so we can be more gay.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz
    lolbells. why dont we just use different colored flowers to cast spells so we can be more gay.
    There already are different colored flowers.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Ayaz
    Well, the really early Geomancer version from JP FFIII (NES) was called (or at least, translated as) a Taoist. A bell-ringing taoist. Blame SE for that one.

And the white/black/red mages were considered demon taoists, rather than mages. Unless that's just an idiomatic expression that means "mage" to the Japanese, and just transliterates to "demon taoist" in English.

I want a calculator job! It would be the best tank evah.

[quote:46e63]needs more geomancer.
    Don't go overboard retard.[/quote:46e63]

Geomancer is the new cowbell.

In any case, PUP's need help. AI improvements would be nice, an AF frame of some kind (finish AF, open new upgraded frame series- hello BLM nuke frame, please), and not having to do a freaking ENM for a random chance at a whole pile of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Judah
    biggest Alla thread this week. keep up the good work guys.
    Even broken clocks get it right twice a day.

It'd be nice if Geomancers could even draw spells based on the potential weather of an area- so Valkrum would give them earth and fire-based stuff to work with (just with a bonus if there was actual weather). Ditto day and night- a solar/lunar effect.

So you guys want the job equivalent of this: http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/5321 ? Yeah um no thanks.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    So you guys want the job equivalent of this: http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/5321 ? Yeah um no thanks.
    You're only playing DRK anyway. Why do you care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    You're only playing DRK anyway. Why do you care to comment?
    I'm leveling BLU as we speak, and new jobs affect everybody.

Or how about this: http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/762

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Geomancer as you've described it just screams "Useless gimmick" at an unheard of order of magnitude, causing even CoP Dynamis to bow its head and weep tears of gimp.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'd be more impressed if SE made new jobs that used Great Axe, Scythe, or Great Sword (since only 2-4 jobs can use those weapons). Spear also has 4 jobs that can use it, toss in a new job with those kinds of skills.

Then again, seeing as SE let BLU/COR use Swords and COR/PUP use Daggers, just like pretty much every other job in the game, I can't imagine that happening.

Perhaps Geomancer could use Great Axe? Its not like they have to be so strict on their job selection to only use things from FFV, I mean, look at PUP (It is kinda funny how one of the most looked down upon jobs in FFXI is also the only original one).

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Priran
    Geomancer as you've described it just screams "Useless gimmick" at an unheard of order of magnitude, causing even CoP Dynamis to bow its head and weep tears of gimp.
    Better than Puppetmaster is all I ask.

Banned.

BG Level

If you could 'store firedays' for later, then yeah sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Priran
    Geomancer as you've described it just screams "Useless gimmick" at an unheard of order of magnitude, causing even Garrison to bow its head and weep tears of gimp.
    Fixed for even more truthiness