Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Jailer of Fortitude Questions

My linkshell is preparing to fight Jailer of Fortitude, and I was hoping for a little bit of insight before we pop him.

I have been using http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/index.php/Main_Page as a reference, as well as some assorted livejournals, but I still have a few questions. Specifically:

1. What is the rough HP total of the Kf’ghrah that spawn with JoF?

2. Some clarification of the reflect effect – Most strategies recommend kiting Fortitude with gravity while killing the Kf’ghrah. However, with Kf’ghrah alive, Fortitude is supposed to reflect all spells back to the caster. This implies that gravity is not reflected with the Kf’ghrah alive. Is that accurate?

3. I saw one account in a random LJ (the name escapes me at the moment) claiming that the Kf’ghrah share hate with JoF except when they are in Spider form, and in that form they have hate separate from Fortitude. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Re: Jailer of Fortitude Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ehran
    2. Some clarification of the reflect effect – Most strategies recommend kiting Fortitude with gravity while killing the Kf’ghrah. However, with Kf’ghrah alive, Fortitude is supposed to reflect all spells back to the caster. This implies that gravity is not reflected with the Kf’ghrah alive. Is that accurate?
    The reflect isn't an actual reflect, it will simply recast whatever you cast on him. Just like Colibri. So I'm 90% sure spells will land on him, just be prepared to eat your own spell as well, which is not a big deal when it comes to Gravity.

The Kf'ghrahs have 3 different forms: ball, bird, and spider. In one of them (bird i think, but possibly ball) hate is 100% linked to Fortitude, in the other non-spider form hate is independant but starts out with same hate levels as Fortitude. In spider form they seem to just pick a random target and keep attacking them until they change forms.

Fortitude is seriously the easiest of all the sea NMs, I wouldn't worry too much about the fight, just give it a shot.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Bring blms.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Um, kill the adds, then nuke Fortitude. Strat complete. Oh, might want to kite.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiruke
    Um, kill the adds, then nuke Fortitude. Strat complete. Oh, might want to kite.
    Well aren't you the informative one?

Kite Fortitude when you spawn him and have everyone rape the 2 ghrahs, make sure you're healing the kiter because all of it will be attacking him since hate is shared. The 2 ghrahs won't take long at all, then just tank Fortitude straight up and have your melees skillchain with everyone magic bursting, melee hits won't do shit to Fortitude so make sure your BLMs and RDMs MB. To speed it up, bring SAMs or /SAM melees for skillchains and shit. The fight isn't hard at all except for maybe a few dangerous Vorpal Blades, shouldn't be a problem at all if your PLD is decently equipped and with a good healer. 2 NINs can do it too bouncing hate off each other after Vorpals.

Nerull

No need to kill the Kf'ghrahs. Just have all your BLMs sub NIN, and nuke away at Fortitude, while some tanks kite. (just no -gas, unless you want to mpk your alliance ^_^). Melees can umm... afk? They're about as useful on Fortitude as BLMs are on Temperance. Fun.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ignoring the Ghrahs can be nice for mass farming Fortitude if you have a bunch of BLMs. He will pause very briefly when he counter-casts, making kiting even easier. He also seems to hit softer when the Ghrahs are still out. We had a bunch of people one Sunday afternoon, so we had a BLM heavy alliance do like 5 Fortitudes this way. Spent most of our time waiting for repops and running to the new tower, fights were a breeze.

If you don't have an army of BLMs, Rangers do pretty well on damage too, with holy bolts or with stadard ammo. Just load up on Ratk and you will hit fairly hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas
    The fight isn't hard at all except for maybe a few dangerous Vorpal Blades, shouldn't be a problem at all if your PLD is decently equipped and with a good healer. 2 NINs can do it too bouncing hate off each other after Vorpals.
    http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/873...ort2xf5.th.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8...ort1bd4.th.jpg

War/Nin in full enmity gear is perfectly fine too as tank (when you want to stand it up)/kiter (although BLMs tend to kite the most, sometimes, specially toward the end of the fight lol). I have PLD at 75 too but I have never been Paladin at any Al'Taieu (H?)NMs run since my Warrior can do pretty much everything due to its versatility: DD, blink-tank, kiter, it's really just a matter of /equip macro, player skill (even though it isn't rocket science eh), experience (took me a few attempts to understand how to kite Faith lol) and food.

One of our best equipped PLD (Hydra Haubert, Bahamuth Mask, lots of Homam stuff, etc.) tried to sub Ninja last time in sea and, surprisingly (considering the lack of Voke and songs at times - the BRD kept singing Marchesx2 or March/Minuet cause he was in my party), did an extremely good job though, specially on Ix's.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

To answer the OP -

The HP of the grah's that it spawns isn't too bad, don't have a number, but its just a little more than normal Grah's.

It is reflect, it reflects all spells you cast on it for a while. What we do is post 4 people at all corners/sides of the room, and they cast cure I on it over and over and over again, this gives the kiting tank time to run, becauase Fortitude stops to reflect your spell back at you.

The Grah's always share hate as far as I have experienced, and thats like 10-12 Fortitudes roughly.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

war/nin tank is basically nin/war mirite

Once had a war/nin solo tank byakko :x
    was one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nerull
    No need to kill the Kf'ghrahs. Just have all your BLMs sub NIN, and nuke away at Fortitude, while some tanks kite. (just no -gas, unless you want to mpk your alliance ^_^). Melees can umm... afk? They're about as useful on Fortitude as BLMs are on Temperance. Fun.
    Fuck that, 2 Marches and Haste. Go go virelai spam!

(Yes, I've done that at like every opportunity I get.)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The Ghrahs don't completely lock hate, if you do enough damage to one, you'll pull it off the tank sometimes. It's pretty weird. I think they might be like the Jailer of Justice summons, where they start with hate initially on the tank, and any hate building towards the NM also builds hate on the summons.

Example: One Jailer of Justice fight we had too many tanks and just 18 people, so I was designated to provoke the summons off the tanks and the BLMs push them down. Provoke was enough to pull them off the main tank usually, but sometimes they would go running back to the main tank. So I noticed that one time I provoked a summon, and the PLD flashed Jailer of Justice and the summon went running back to the PLD right away.

I'm not sure if the Ghrahs have a similiar hate system, but it seems possible.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Related question:

Do Grah M chips drop only from the grah in the Grand Palace of Hu'xoi? We've killed literally hundreds of grah in the Garden while getting through 8-3/getting map quasis/farming euvhi organs and in the time we've gotten 12 euvhi organs, we've gotten virtually no (maybe even exactly 0) grah chips.

Secondly, has the drop rate changed on these at some point? It seems like when we were first in sea (a year or so ago), these things dropped all the time. However, recently the drop rate, even in the Grand Palace, seems to have fallen off. That might also be a product of just spending more time in the Garden than the Grand Palace, too.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    Related question:

Do Grah M chips drop only from the grah in the Grand Palace of Hu'xoi? We've killed literally hundreds of grah in the Garden while getting through 8-3/getting map quasis/farming euvhi organs and in the time we've gotten 12 euvhi organs, we've gotten virtually no (maybe even exactly 0) grah chips.
    Yes. And only select Ghrahs at that. Mainly the ones on the same floor as the zone line. (I'm not 100% sure on others dropping it.)

Secondly, has the drop rate changed on these at some point? It seems like when we were first in sea (a year or so ago), these things dropped all the time. However, recently the drop rate, even in the Grand Palace, seems to have fallen off. That might also be a product of just spending more time in the Garden than the Grand Palace, too.
    They've always beena very sporadic drop. At times they drop faster then the french. Other times, they're rarer then Fauzher death weapon.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

They can drop in the garden, just don't waste your time there trying to get them to.

In fact when i wrote my original sea God guide for my linkshell a year ago or so, I had in there that Grah M Chips only drop from the palace, but had to go back and change it when we did in fact get a few from the gardens.

If you are looking to farm them though, the palace is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas
    The fight isn't hard at all except for maybe a few dangerous Vorpal Blades, shouldn't be a problem at all if your PLD is decently equipped and with a good healer. 2 NINs can do it too bouncing hate off each other after Vorpals.
    It can be done with a single NIN as well, only thing is that (just like a PLD would need to be) he/she would need to be well equiped. I just straight tank him for most of the fight, and the hate I build up while they kill the Grahs is enough to keep him on me for most of the fight. Only hits for 30-60 damage, Vorpals for 200-300 with all the normal buffs.

Also, spamming low level spells/debuffs on Fortitude when the two ball forms are still alive makes him a lot easier. Rather than attack, he'll spam puny spells. If I remember correctly, spamming Cure on him would make him spam Cure back on you as well.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin
    Also, spamming low level spells/debuffs on Fortitude when the two ball forms are still alive makes him a lot easier. Rather than attack, he'll spam puny spells. If I remember correctly, spamming Cure on him would make him spam Cure back on you as well.
    He doesn't stop to cast anymore he'll just reflect and keep running.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin
    He doesn't stop to cast anymore he'll just reflect and keep running.
    Yep, I didn't say he'd stop running though, said in my post we just straight tank him. Sorry if I was unclear but my point was that causing him to reflect spells reduces his attack speed by quite a bit, since he doesn't attack while reflecting, making him considerably easier to tank.