+ Reply to Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Has anyone ever done a Study Abroad Program?

I was looking at some of the places my school offers to study abroad in. Many of the locations just seem amazing and unimaginable. I'd love to go almost anywhere, but I don't know the kinds of things you do, how it works really, or basically anything about the programs.

So, does anyone have insight, positive or negative on them?

I had a relative who did it, a 2nd cousin. He went and studied in London(I'm not sure if you are refering to international or not.)

He said it was nice to go and see new places, but supposedly whoever he did it through gave him a fuckton of work, so he would be huddled up in his appartment writing papers and whatnot. As far as him having to chose whether to do it all over again, he replied: "In a heart beat."

Edit: As far as how it works I'm not too sure, I didn't go into too many details, but he said they provided him with suggestions on good housing and a job to start out at and could leave when he saw fit.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Yeah I totally want to do the international thing. But thanks for replying. I didn't think they'd get ALOT of work, because they'd be out doing things in the towns and whatnot...However, I can see why they would get a lot of work in the short period of time they were there, kind of like a summer program where they try to fit a lot of information in a short period.

Anyway thanks!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

As soon as I get my BA, I'm so going to apply for this.

Some of the best Universities are in England and Europe, but it depends on if you can afford it (it's already expensive enough as it is) and if the course you plan on taking is worth the extra money/effort.

But uhh, I wouldn't go to Uni abroad simply to get away and see new places >.> it's just an added benefit (I'm sure you aren't that stupid though).

I've studied a broad or two in my time.

What a lame joke

Forum Donator
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    What a lame joke

Those words were first spoken, I believe, by Mr. Joesph T. Platypus, Sr.

It was about 15-25 years ago, at a unnamed hospital. It was in response to a doctor saying "Here is your newborn son, Mr. Platypus!"

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Aurin
    http://www.gaijinsmash.net/

That site cracks me up.

I had a bunch of friends who studied abroad in college, most of them had really good times. I knew a couple who went to Australia, and one that went to Italy. The one who went to Italy ended up knocking up a girl and got married. I suppose it was fun up until that...

But for the most part, all of them just went over there for a semester. Just take equivalent classes to whatever you would take at your college, and have fun. It cost most of them quite a lot of money though, since none of them bothered to get jobs while away. And be warned, when you come back you'll most likely annoy your friend to no end about how much you miss little things over there like some sort of food stand that sells meat on a stick. Or a certain kind of beer. And no one will care, because no one will have any idea what you're talking about.

The fall semesters at my college were heaven because something like 3/4's of the junior class would be abroad (no one went spring semester because of basketball >.>)...I sadly did not go, and that is my worst decision of my life so far.

If you have a chance to go, do it. I'm probably going to sign up to teach english for a year overseas just to get the experience. Only thing is, please don't go to a "hot spot" where all you do is hang out with other US college kids and get drunk (I hear Prague and certain programs in Italy are hot spots now). Goto a place where you'll be really intergrated with the local community and get to know the area well.

This summer i did Study Abroad in London with my school and it was absolutely a blast. Our teacher knew that we came here for the fun and was really chill about all the work and not even a hard grader. Essentially everyone go A's but the experience was wonerful and met many new people. Fucking expensive though =(

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

After going through all the hoops and paperwork, my best reccomendation to you is to go see your Study Abroad Office (if you have one) or whomever is in charge of Study Abroad (EARLY ON) in your school and talk to them about it, they will have a LOT of information about how it works at your school (I could tell you about the process at mine, but chances are it may not be the same) and provide you with a list of schools that your school has a special relationship with (this can be a factor in whether or not you can get credit while there and if your financial aid can be applied to it, etc. etc.), most of these schools will probably provide you a dorm or host family.

Also, the earlier you start applying/researching the better, a lot of scholarship applications for Fall term study abroad end around February and March (though, for many you don't need to be accepted to a certain program yet, you just need to have applied). Also, perhaps depending on the country, a lot of paperwork to be filled out once you are accepted into a program, as well as obtaining visas (or a passport if you don't have one), etc. etc.

As far as school work goes, I can't give you any insight on that yet, but I'm sure it'll depend on the country (and probably university) you go to (I've been told many times that university in Japan is a breeze).

It's really not that painful of a process (I think the worst was bugging the same professors for reccomendations for about 7 different schools, lol), depending on how involved your school is.

Wow this turn into a wall-o'-text, whoops.

Re: Has anyone ever done a Study Abroad Program?

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    I was looking at some of the places my school offers to study abroad in. Many of the locations just seem amazing and unimaginable. I'd love to go almost anywhere, but I don't know the kinds of things you do, how it works really, or basically anything about the programs.

So, does anyone have insight, positive or negative on them?
    I think studying in another country is one of the most exciting and enriching things you could do in your life. I'd totally say for you to go for it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Come UK! Kekekekekekeke!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I just got back from studying in Oxford for six weeks. At first I was kind of impartial to doing it. I'd be spending a lot of money and I wasn't that into it. But after just a few days I loved it. The classes were not boring, kind of easy, and slightly challenging. All the teachers were cool, they knew we didn't go there to study. And travelling all over the place is awesome. No matter where you go you are sure to have fun. I would fully suggest doing it; you'll never reget it.