Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1

    Yes, it's another absurd idea for HNM's!

    The classic bitching and whining about most HNM's (and a lot of NM's) is the un-natural method in which cheating morons warp-claim/packet sniff/whateverthefuckcheatofchoice/JPONRYbutton a big monster.

    I say, take the claim process on these monsters out of the hands of players entirely. Make these big guys do it Soviet style. They pick YOU.

    They claim YOU. NM/HNM is given widescan of a size appropriate to the monster. When it spawns, it automatically picks a character in it's range, generates a significant amount of hate towards them, and aggros immediately...spawning "claimed" towards that player and his/her party.

    Do this for every single NM/HNM it matters for in the game. If there's nobody there when it spawns, the monster aggros on the first person it can detect inside it's scan range and goes to town when-ever that event occurs. Since it's server side, nobody's hacking the claim method. Ulli pops, he looks around, picks someone to be pissed at, and tools on them and their friends. Serket wakes up in the basement, he picks on someone. Mee Deggi spawns, nobody's near and someone wanders close enough- off he goes on them. (I know, a yaright there. When is his spawn area ever uncamped?)

    Make sure the monster has a nice broad range- Argus's scan checks the entire room he's in when he spawns. Something like King Behemoth would be far broader. Ulli as well.

    End of cheating for claims. If you're in the area and not stealthed to the monster's detection methods, you and your PT get the chance if the monster spawns when you're around. Yeah, this may mean the first thing your NM does is jump the healer until you can peel it off. Be prepared.

    What do people think of the concept?

  2. #2
    Corwens a slot
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,130
    BG Level
    7

    Sup 700 person Behemoth Dominion? Fit every single person in your LS in the zone for better chances at claims?

  3. #3
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30,682
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Alot of people like the competition that King camping generates, and tbh this turns "claiming" Kings into little more then bringing a zerg rush army to every camp to improve your chances of claim.

  4. #4

    terrible idea. lag would be unbearable, and this would only encourage even more zergs.

  5. #5
    HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,618
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    As stated, this would just encourage the no-skill zerg LS's to just recruit more people.

  6. #6

    Slightly entertaining though...

  7. #7
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,753
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    It wouldnt work, there would be some program to claim the NM regardless.

  8. #8

    A. Interesting idea.
    B. Won't ever happen.

  9. #9
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    533
    BG Level
    5

    I think this thread just gave me cancer

  10. #10

    Okies- so LOLzergrush linkshell comes along.

    Like they didn't have more people trying to claim your mob anyway?

    If their zergers are gimp, Fafnir or whoever EATS them and picks a new target to make his adventurer chow if he loses aggro from his party of choice.

    All this would do is take the claim process out of the hands of cheaters. It does nothing to the process of keeping it. If the linkshell is gimpy, the HNM will still kick the crap out of whoever it claims and then proceed to pick it's next victim. At random from the available pool.

    Or, we can stick with the joys of client-side claim methods on HNM/NM's. How's the local RMT group doing with Autumnstones today? That guy who sits 24/7 camping in Castle O burned people how many times this week? How soon till they cockblock other stuff?

  11. #11
    HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,618
    BG Level
    10
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Why would fafnir chomp up a random target after the current target dies ?

    Fafnir doesnt exactly oneshot a blink/SSed mage, and surely someone in the party/alliance could have slept it to reorganize parties.

  12. #12
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,836
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

    Lame.

  13. #13

    Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    Alot of people like the competition that King camping generates, and tbh this turns "claiming" Kings into little more then bringing a zerg rush army to every camp to improve your chances of claim.
    People who like this are the ones that are continously getting the claims on these monsters. Whether or not they are botting isn't for me to say, but they use this as an excuse to keep the system the way it is because they are most likely making out like bandits.

  14. #14

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City
    I think this thread just gave me cancer
    Then it has achieved one of it's purposes in life.

  15. #15

  16. #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth
    Okies- so LOLzergrush linkshell comes along.

    Like they didn't have more people trying to claim your mob anyway?

    If their zergers are gimp, Fafnir or whoever EATS them and picks a new target to make his adventurer chow if he loses aggro from his party of choice.

    All this would do is take the claim process out of the hands of cheaters. It does nothing to the process of keeping it. If the linkshell is gimpy, the HNM will still kick the crap out of whoever it claims and then proceed to pick it's next victim. At random from the available pool.

    Or, we can stick with the joys of client-side claim methods on HNM/NM's. How's the local RMT group doing with Autumnstones today? That guy who sits 24/7 camping in Castle O burned people how many times this week? How soon till they cockblock other stuff?
    somehow with this post, your idea became even worse, and i didn't think it was possible after your initial post. i'm assuming you're a bought character because its pretty obvious you have no concept of hate or enmity issues that would make you're idea look stupid and ridiculous.

  17. #17

    Quote Originally Posted by NynJa
    Why would fafnir chomp up a random target after the current target dies ?

    Fafnir doesnt exactly oneshot a blink/SSed mage, and surely someone in the party/alliance could have slept it to reorganize parties.
    If their zergers are gimp, Fafnir or whoever EATS them and picks a new target to make his adventurer chow if he loses aggro from his party of choice.
    If Fafnir no longer has enough aggro on anyone, he picks a new target/party. If the target PT he picked initially was gimpy enough to wipe, someone else becomes the next snack food. If their linkshell was strong enough to handle the NM with whatever came to hand, they aren't zerging- just trying to get the claim and toast the thing, same as anyone else. If they're incompetent enough to hold aggro, sucks to be them.

    Short of instancing every NM/HNM in the game that's fought over like a pack of jackals looking for scraps, can you think of a more fair method than the monster choosing who to beat on in the area first? And do you really think S-E is going to go that route?

    Anything client-side regarding claim will be cheated on. And the bigger the target, the more cheating that's going on. How does RMT monopolize Ulli or anything else if they can't control the claim process?

  18. #18

    Quote Originally Posted by phirien
    somehow with this post, your idea became even worse, and i didn't think it was possible after your initial post. i'm assuming you're a bought character because its pretty obvious you have no concept of hate or enmity issues that would make you're idea look stupid and ridiculous.
    Note the topic says "Absurd idea". As in "A modest proposal for controlling the Irish population is to cook and eat the children." absurd idea.

    Been playing since the NA release for the PC, by the way. I was raiding on EQ well before that.

    But, since it's fun to play with said absurd idea, let's go ahead and do so. It's a Friday morning, I got time.

    NM/HNM hatelist goes as follows:

    1) Monster spawns. It immediately widescans area for players.
    2) A player (and PT if in one) is flagged, given an immediate amount of hate, and aggroed. If no player is detectable in it's range, it will aggro on the first character to appear in it's range.
    3) Monster attacks target(s). If all of these targets are KO'ed, NM/HNM goes back to 2), picks a new target(s) and attacks them (if any available)-and wipes it's aggro list in the process.

    Of course, outside sources can boost themselves higher on the hate list and keep the NM/HNM's flagged targets from being attacked, same as always.

    Feel free to call said ideas lame, absurd, cancer-causing, whatever. This is a "what if".

    And of course, if someone has a better idea for keeping claims from being cheated or monopolized as is- please, drop a less absurd idea on the forum.

  19. #19
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,125
    BG Level
    6

    I think it's a good idea, certianly at least a unique one.

    I would pefer something more like this:

    First of all remove the ability to sleep Fafnir/Nih.

    Second, first enmity move on fafnir will always produce a flail. (Because if people killed me everyday I'd be pissed too) KB would be instant Meteo, well aspi would do something... Maybe draw in everone in zone to the middle :D

    Third, add a hate system. The more you fight or attempt to fight the three kings the more hate you get. Only not killing them for a long time will drop hate. When you have high hate the flail/etc... rate goes higher, as well as damage from all TP moves. KB also runs faster, and well aspi... aspi... well he does something too...

    Set it so if you kill an NM more than 4 or 5 times a month you essentially get flailed to death by even mentioning fafnir in chat log.

  20. #20
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,753
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth
    And of course, if someone has a better idea for keeping claims from being cheated or monopolized as is- please, drop a less absurd idea on the forum.
    Thats the trick.

    It may be a nice idea in fantasy land, but it will never be fixed. No matter how good an idea will be, there will always be botters and there will never be a fair way to play this game again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag

Similar Threads

  1. Pld or Nin for HNM?
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2004-12-05, 23:03
  2. for HNM's...
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2004-11-09, 02:21
  3. Gear for HNM LSes
    By Obilisk in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2004-10-24, 16:35
  4. Hello PLD VS NIN for HNM
    By Sabre in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2004-10-07, 10:49
  5. Should I Change Jobs For HNMs? A Troubled WHMs Question
    By Teslithia in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2004-09-22, 14:25