+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article on IGE     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Article on IGE

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060 ... s_01.shtml

Irregardless of the inevitable flame war which this may produce, or the problems which people have with them, I found this interesting and thought I'd post it.

Way to go PC Gamer Mag.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

-.-;

"Going forward, IGE notes that in the short term, the number of people it employs is likely to grow again by half as many again. By the end of this year, it feels that it's reasonable to assume that it will employ more than 600 employees across 3 continents, as it aims for strong growth in the face of increased online game activity worldwide."

FF is doomed.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The topic has not slipped under IGE's radar, either. Clarke commented definitively of the item/gold farming problem: "When we have knowledge of gamers that are cheating, we sever relationships with them", also noting that the company is "very sensitive" to those who may be "disruptive professional gamers". However, it's clear that this is a very fine line, and some players can 'gold farm' efficiently without explicitly cheating (depending on the definition of 'cheating', of course), so it's in this area of interpretation that a lot of the controversy around gold farmers seems to arise.
    I kind of got a kick out of that. I guess the constant KSs and POS hacking our gilsellers do up in sky slipped under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    The topic has not slipped under IGE's radar, either. Clarke commented definitively of the item/gold farming problem: "When we have knowledge of gamers that are cheating, we sever relationships with them", also noting that the company is "very sensitive" to those who may be "disruptive professional gamers". However, it's clear that this is a very fine line, and some players can 'gold farm' efficiently without explicitly cheating (depending on the definition of 'cheating', of course), so it's in this area of interpretation that a lot of the controversy around gold farmers seems to arise.
    I kind of got a kick out of that. I guess the constant KSs and POS hacking our gilsellers do up in sky slipped under the radar.
    It didn't, they just didn't think of it like cheating. I mean, they weren't invincible, were they?

Old Merits
    BG Level

PC Gamer EIC Greg Vederman commented: "Lately, 'gold farming' companies such as IGE and Power Leveling — companies whose business is the accumulation and (potentially illicit) real-world sale of virtual MMO property, including gold, in-game items, and characters — have begun running ads in magazines like ours. For the record, PC Gamer’s official stance on these types of companies is that they are despicable: not only do they brazenly break many MMOs’ End-User License Agreements, but they all-too-often ruin legitimate players’ fun."
    If PC Gamer is not running IGE ads and their competitors are, then that is really good lol. Seriously fuck any site, magazine or anything that supports RMT companies in any way. I have not bought a video game magazine in forever though to be honest. I use the internet lol.

Banned.

BG Level

I've never seen an EGM magazine with an IGE ad :D

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I wish that Brock Pierce loser lived somewhere near. I'd pay him a visit and sucker punch him in the jaw as a big "fuck you" from every gamer that asshole has pissed off with his RMT empire.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I've never seen an EGM magazine with an IGE ad :D
    bleh semantics that is largely console based... the most popular MMOs are on PC duh. I should have said a PC gaming magazine because that is a competitor of PC Gamer.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Should start boycotting other magazines and only buy pc gamer, but sadly I know we wouldn't get enough people to do it to make a difference.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor
    The part that I find funny is that the very nature of selling gil is cheating since it is against the ToS. But for some odd reason they have not severed relationships with the games who are cheating by buying and selling the gil.

Banned.

BG Level

I like the one interview where the interviewer made an example of how buying game money is cheating. He linked it to monopoly and said it destroys the nature of the game, the person being interviewed said it wasn't like that at all, but didn't give any examples and some PR guy they don't want to speak about that further.

Back during the golden age of gaming, people didn't pay others to play their games for them. But then games got online.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede
    Back during the golden age of gaming, people didn't pay others to play their games for them. But then games got online.
    A lot of my friends had game genie was for NES, and "played" their games by running through them while invincible with infinite lives. People being too lazy to even truly experience the content they paid for is a hallmark of our generation.

A. Body
    BG Level

IGE is gonna get suited for anti-monopoly pretty soon like microsoft 8)

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Your sig is fucking huge yet fucking hysterical.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ok freal, that sig wins my "WTF?!" award of the week! What book is that?? PLEASE tell me it's not a serious book to educate Japanese children, haha!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Your sig is fucking huge yet fucking hysterical.
    qft ROFL

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: Article on IGE

Quote Originally Posted by Epincus
    Irregardless of the inevitable flame war which this may produce, or the problems which people have with them, I found this interesting and thought I'd post it.
    Damn it... irregardless is not a word.

Irrespective or Regardless prz.