FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

Allah Akbar. Boom.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    lol, or you can hope they invent robot bodies that can download your brain within your lifetime. Or something zany like that.
    that would be cool, or you could just freeze yourself for reanimation later on lol

I would take that anyday over Hell or non-existence

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

I see no reason why the "information" stored in a human brain cannot be written off onto a disk. Our brains are little more than organic 'puters, discharging electrical signals very much like a CPU does. I forsee the real isue in doing this being the actual interface itself. How to actually access the stored information on a human brain, and then rewrite it on a more durable storage unit for transposing to another body, perhaps a test-tubed recreation of the original? This begs the question; What defines the soul now? Does this kind of possibility disprove the soul? Disprove God?

Old Merits
    BG Level

WHAT ABOUT THE GHOSTS!?!!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah
    I see no reason why the "information" stored in a human brain cannot be written off onto a disk. Our brains are little more than organic 'puters, discharging electrical signals very much like a CPU does. I forsee the real isue in doing this being the actual interface itself. How to actually access the stored information on a human brain, and then rewrite it on a more durable storage unit for transposing to another body, perhaps a test-tubed recreation of the original? This begs the question; What defines the soul now? Does this kind of possibility disprove the soul? Disprove God?
    pritty interesting stuff, how close are we to this point? and if we ever reach this, it will prob be kept from the public eye.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

The real concerns in regards to people never dying are the socioeconomic impacts. We aren't close to colonizing space, how do we support a species of immortals? This planet is overburdened as is. Immortal technology that precedes space colonization would be the end of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien
    pritty interesting stuff, how close are we to this point? and if we ever reach this, it will prob be kept from the public eye.
    Heh, well... I know almost nothing of computers, but isn't it impossible for a computer to come up with a completely random digit? That's the reason for algorithms and such to generate seemingly random numbers. We humans, on the other hand, can (although I have heard arguments that state otherwise).

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

The human mind is vastly superior to any existing computer in all but one area, that being brute-force calculations. Existing being the key word. There are plenty of things we can do that they cannot... for the time being. The computer in your Gameboy is more advanced than the computer that put the first man into space. We will never be able to compete with the machines in terms of sheer volume and velocity of calculations, but we can build them to be more and more like our own minds every year. I imagine decades of study to nail down the "machine language" of the mind, but I don't discount the possibility.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Sometimes I wonder if we make a computer like in the Terminator movies did with Skynet. It will realize it is superior to us and use our own resources against us. It isn't totally realistic, but man if we keep making computers think more like humans... Might be totally laughable now, but damn scary if you think about it. Just don't give computers the final say I guess in case one is smart enough to attempt to usurp humanity's place as top species on this planet. I don't even want to think about it lol.

The real concerns in regards to people never dying are the socioeconomic impacts. We aren't close to colonizing space, how do we support a species of immortals? This planet is overburdened as is. Immortal technology that precedes space colonization would be the end of us.
    Correction, our current technology will be the end of us, it's just a matter of time until it happens.

Ridill
    BG Level

If we became immortal we'd all die??

Isn't the idea of immortality that we would then no longer require sustinance? Or do you just mean medical advances that wouldn't really be immortality, but resource driven life preservation such as is really quite common now?

Also as far as the "mapping of the mind" so to speak, for computer uses, the human genome project has pretty well proven that we'll be able to figure out absolutely everything about how and why our bodies and minds work, eventually.

Barring the presence of something like what most would call a "soul" that is.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I am pretty sure "religion" in the old world helped define countries...

This made it easier for countries to fight as a whole...

If the world thought so strongly about religion as it once did, there would be no quibbles about what war is waged... Since every war would be about god and that nations beliefs.

What sounds better?

LETS GO KILLZ FOR THE OILZ!

or

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I feel sorry for people without religion
    Its mostly becouse people are dumb or they just dont give it crap

If your religion dont make any sense to you (it got to be lol cuz if you knew the correct one not Corrupted one you shouldnt ask ;/)
    It means its just the wrong religion
    There is only 1 not corrupted Religion

Read history @Europe dark age
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages

Wars and everything at life was controled by ""religion"" and these are facts not some bed storys XD They just changed everything in the religions book to do as they please or otherwise people wouldnt go to war etc
    Church>>>>>>>>>>>>>people>everything @Dark age
    So goverment or whoever was running the countrys at that age knew
    Control the Church (threat or pay money lol) = you Control everything

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler
    What sounds better?

LETS GO KILLZ FOR THE OILZ!

or

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT!
    Lets go kill the terrors!

its easy and require nothing huge just crash 2 planes in your own country lol

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

Quote Originally Posted by Rag

If your religion dont make any sense to you (it got to be lol cuz if you knew the correct one not Corrupted one you shouldnt ask ;/)

Wars and everything at life was controled by ""religion"" and these are facts not some bed storys XD They just changed everything in the religions book to do as they please or otherwise people wouldnt go to war etc
    Wow, I haven’t seen that much bullshit in a while. Your grammar entails that of a fifteen year old so perhaps it's just the lack of an educated environment that's missing.

Everyone lives there life through logic and reason. Why when religion comes into the arena of our daily life does logic and reason become dismissed?

If I were to tell you that there’s a diamond the size of a brick buried 20 feet in your back yard and all you had to do is give me $200 for the equipment to dig it up, would you do it? Would you want evidence that this is true before anything else happens or would you take it on faith that I wouldn’t lie to you.

Then why toss out all reason, logic and conversation when discussing whether certain events happened in the past?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1691_idiot.gif

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch

Wow, I haven’t seen that much bullshit in a while. Your grammar entails that of a fifteen year old so perhaps it's just the lack of an educated environment that's missing.

Everyone lives there life through logic and reason. Why when religion comes into the arena of our daily life does logic and reason become dismissed?

If I were to tell you that there’s a diamond the size of a brick buried 20 feet in your back yard and all you had to do is give me $200 for the equipment to dig it up, would you do it? Would you want evidence that this is true before anything else happens or would you take it on faith that I wouldn’t lie to you.

Then why toss out all reason, logic and conversation when discussing whether certain events happened in the past?
    You never know, really heh. That's the thing. When it comes to things that cannot be proved no matter what you do, you either believe them or you don't.

But he's definately right about the fact that people figured out long ago that if you control the church you control the population, in general.

I dunno the post was idiotic in the wording and whatnot, but it's not like he said "I know the right religion and you're an idiot if you don't believe it."

I think all he meant was that if you really strongly believe in your religion, there are questions you don't feel the need to ask.

p.s. marry me bwelch, that's the first time I've laughed at "o rly" in like a year

ninja edit: nevermind the part where he said people are dumb if they don't have a religion somehow slipped my mind. but the other part I think is still right... but you're right he's an idiot.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

yea, coz looking into the past is gonna solve all of our god damn problems.

Religion was designed to control...

Religion was designed to kill logic...

Religion was designed to kill...

Would it hurt your beliefs if somebody told you the whole thing was a hoax? Told you it was the only way to keep certain parts of the population in order to take over more land or destroy anyone that gets in the way?

Thing that pisses me off is... If I said "I believe in friends and family" I would get the "But who gave you your friends and family"... its like talking to a brick wall.

Id rather believe that the world was created by huge fluffy bunnys than believe some twat with this huge ego is letting us kill, destroy and pillage ourselves.

So yea... next person that quotes "Some questions do not need an answer" should get hit by a fucking truck... we are human, with a thirst for knowledge.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Id rather believe that the world was created by huge fluffy bunnys than believe some twat with this huge ego is letting us kill, destroy and pillage ourselves.
    I was raised Catholic (not that it matters) and remember sitting in church at 6 years old thinking..."wow this guy really is full of himself to ask me to come here every week and worship him."

The older I get the more I seem convinced that there is nothing after, but religon will always exist because the human mind cannot truly comprehend "nothing" since it has never experienced it (until it does), and like you said the human mind has a thirst for knowledge.

If there's a heaven and hell, that's cool...but to be honest that doesn't affect my behavior. I don't steal and I don't kill because I don't want to be stolen from or killed. However, I don't see any justice here on Earth. Everyone I've run across that's stolen or whatever...there is no "karma" that evens everything out.

My ex-wife cheated on me and ditched me and my son and has ruined many men's lives after that, blatently stealing their money and hearts...not a damn thing has happened to her and now she's one of these "born-agains" that preaches salvation to everyone as an excuse to not apologize or repent for any of her previous actions.

To those of you that take religion seriously, but keep it to yourself, let it be a guiding light to you but don't preach it to others..I commend you. There aren't enough people like that. Every time I see someone preaching to others I can't help but getting sick to my stomach...real religion is private and something to keep to yourself, let it guide you and create whatever images you want. The whole idea of letting someone or something else tell you what mysteries lie for you after you die just makes no sense to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast