+ Reply to Thread

HTML... IE, Firefox, and other browsers...

Ok I'm tired of not being able to explain alot on why certain browsers won't interperate html that other browsers do... My friend says and I quote "Firefox doesn't follow the rules of HTML" and I can't explain it other than saying "Some browsers use certain coding methods" so is there a wiki out there that can help me explain this and learn for myself or can someone help me out? Thank you so much..!

HTML is very flexible and there are no browser standards to deal with how it is interpretted. Some browsers are more liberal with their interpretations, while some follow a more strict set of rules. Also since all browsers are competing with each other, they want to be different.

How's that?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

If Lockecole wasn't on vacation I'd be getting an IM about this thread as I type this.

TY Almaa your awesome... If my friend doesn't belive that shes ignorant!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Your friend has it backwards. IE is the one that refuses to follow the standards and tolerates lazy coding that breaks on standards-compliant browsers like Firefox.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    Your friend has it backwards. IE is the one that refuses to follow the standards and tolerates lazy coding that breaks on standards-compliant browsers like Firefox.
    What he said.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao
    What he said.
    She?

And Maxthon ftwwwwww.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

popular web browsers are written to support both new and old (OMG LET'S PUT EVERYTHING IN A <table></table> TAGSET LAWL) HTML markup. The compatability code and the fact that amateur coders do really stupid things, like omitting the <!DOCTYPE> declaration in their pages explain the majority of inconsistencies between browser rendering of HTML pages.

In terms of compliance, IE is currently the worst for HTML/CSS support, and from the looks of IE7, they're not losing that title any time soon.

Your avatar is mesmerizing