Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Anyone try tanking with Raptor Mazurka yet?

Ahhh, insomnia.

I was playing around with Raptor Mazurka with NIN/BRD; not saying it's conclusive, but by eyeing it with a few friends hanging around as MNK/WAR and RDM/DRK, the hate gain is pretty gross. (With Raptor hitting 2 people + myself, /DRK couldn't get hate with Last Resort/Souleater - although probably would have with some melee.) Raptor has a really darn short 24 second recast time, decreasable further with spell/gear, /BRD in itself has a couple of fast-casting songs for minor hate gain between everything else.

Seems nice on paper... has anyone actually tried it? I can't really think of a real-situation test for it I can actually setup myself, so I'm throwing it out there to see if anyone else has thought about it.

Only thing I can think of that's awkward is that despite it having 24 second recast, Raptor has a 4 second cast time. Resisted Lullaby giving less hate would probably be bad too, but I don't think resists decrease hate on anything else, so probably not here. Probably.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

and so it begins!

With Haste from WHM and 2x March, you can get Raptor down to 15 seconds. It is normally possible for a BRD to go:

Chocobo > Raptor > Raptor > Chocobo etc..

It takes a while to get rolling but a TA'd WS onto the BRD/NIN or NIN/BRD can get hate long enough for Raptor to take effect, as well as normal methods of hate gain (NIN tools, BRD Threodies).

We've used it twice on Tiamat since it was put in.

fucking amazing.

Tanked a wyvern in thickets on brd/nin once with both mazurkas after my pt nearly wiped.

1 WAR taking it from 100->0%, me tanking the whole entire time without him pulling hate. It was a joyous day.

I tanked 4 Fafnirs Bard/Nin (pre-raptor) (*'-')

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I tried nin/brd on Lesser Colibri, just messing around, the nin/war voking couldn't do anything. I just spammed mazurka, finale, threnody, ninjutsu. I march myself too lol.

I still think /drk is better, but maybe if you don't have a red mage, you could do /brd, I guess!

Forgot you were a god, Judah, my bad yo.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Seems to generate a good amount of hate similar to chocobo mazurka. I was BRD/NIN in thickets last night meriting when some JP assholes decided to wait for our sleeping mobs to go yellow then pull with provoke. After watching them do this a couple times, my party had enough with the bullshit and Wafik told me to steal it back. Raptor Mazurka stole hate (but not claim obviously) as I started moving it away from the JP puller. He warcry'd it back and I used chocobo mazurka to get back hate and started kiting it around while they tried to get back hate. After getting bored, I tanked for a bit and let them steal back hate.

I'd like to see NIN/BRD in action sometime, I think just on the basis of generating hate, it will work great.

Vygun

had WHM/BRD tanking fafnir a week or so ago. Seems to generate a ton of hate considering the WHM had a good bit of -enmity gear and wasn't doing much curaga spam. Although he did get carried away at the end and almost die due to benediction. Regardless of Bene he was owning the amount of hate a PLD/WAR could generate. He was also getting hit with terror a lot, so yeah >.>;

Next tiamat we get he is gonna NIN/BRD to see how it compares to NIN/DRK.

Of course if NIN/DRK and NIN/BRD generate similar amounts of hate, NIN/DRK will still be better since raptor mazurka really does nothing but generate hate in that situation and stun actually has a useful effect.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Yeah BRD subbed is kinda gimp. I doubt you would land any offensive songs on HNM (Elegy, Threnody, Lullaby, Finale). Best buff you could give is March though, which isn't bad haste. I don't think Ballad would be so hot since its just 1 MP a tick. If you already had a BRD main in the party that would be 3 songs total on the party. The NIN/BRD would provide Ballad I or March and the BRD main could be freed up to use another stronger song instead of one of the weaker buffs the NIN/BRD could provide. In dungeons Mazurka is resisted so it doesn't count as a buff.

I think NIN/DRK would be better than NIN/BRD simply because /DRK actually provided added functionality (Stun, SoulEater) while /BRD doesn't really do much except help you get hate.

But a BRD/NIN with a lot of +Enmity gear might be a more viable tank now. Anyone who plays BRD/WHM at events would know that BRD is usually the 2nd highest on the hate list after tanks. Spamming Elegy, Finale, Lullaby, and Mazurka would generate a rather large amount of hate, and BRD has access to a large assortment of +Resist and -Damage gear.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Yeah BRD/NIN could most definitely be a viable tank with all the equipment that BRD can wear. Good luck getting people to let you lot on some of that shit haha. Well I have some of the gear already (Osode, Kabuto, Sune-ate, Terra's staff, Genbu's Shield), but shit like Defending Ring on a BRD would be hard/impossible to get. BRD can reach the 50% damage reduction cap fairly easily though and can wear equip with good amounts of VIT and Defense.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Faranim
    I think NIN/DRK would be better than NIN/BRD simply because /DRK actually provided added functionality (Stun, SoulEater) while /BRD doesn't really do much except help you get hate.
    we had this exact same discussion/conclusion on LS chat last night.

would like to see some more people try NIN/PLD on things that can't be Stunned too.

But a BRD/NIN with a lot of +Enmity gear might be a more viable tank now. Anyone who plays BRD/WHM at events would know that BRD is usually the 2nd highest on the hate list after tanks. Spamming Elegy, Finale, Lullaby, and Mazurka would generate a rather large amount of hate, and BRD has access to a large assortment of +Resist and -Damage gear.
    i did it with just Mermaid's Ring and HP gear and mostly only lost hate to terror.

would have to get some -damage stuff to try that. but using Enmity gear for hate is definitely unnecessary with Haste and Marches on.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Judah
    We've used it twice on Tiamat since it was put in.

fucking amazing.
    NIN/BRD, right? Just making sure, since everyone keeps talking about BRD/NIN which we should already know generates stupid hate; just having 1 Mazurka was like, retarded enough, I can't imagine what 2 does.

I'm guessing the following... (NIN/BRD vs NIN/DRK that is)
    + Superior hate generation through use of Raptor (I'm almost 100% positive of this)
    + Less support required (no refresh necessary)
    + More no-MP hate abilities on lower timers (Lullaby, Finale are pretty fast-casting)
    + Self-buffs (probably a moot point though...)
    + Songs don't interrupt
    - Mazurka isn't/doesn't Stun (obviously)
    - Largest hate boost takes four seconds of eternity to cast
    - Eight second cast time for self-buffs (thus why they might be moot)
    - I can't spell Mazurka, did I get it right

The other negative of Mazurka used as a hate tool is that its hate is relative to the number of people you land it on.

Should work really well for Fafhogg since everyone is in close quarters, but on Tiamat I'm used to the tanks being the only one near the monster (especially when it's flying). I know some LS fight it more like Fafnir, but I see it as being a sticking point.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I did NIN/BRD on Tiamat a few days ago. When he goes into the air you become a giant MP sponge, but thats what support paladins are for

I can literally do nothing after it goes into the air and let it go on the PLDs and after it lands 1 mazurka means it's on me.. The problem is you have to hold back a little otherwise you get too much hate and the PLDs (or whatever tanks are there) cant get hate off you when you need them to. A few mazurkas > Invincible hate btw

also:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72.../ninbrdlul.jpg

^this was sort of funny :wink:

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sounds scary with the 4 second cast time.. means you could only use it when shadows are relatively safe.. Think nin/drk sounds quite a bit more viable.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

nin/pld? why? what does /pld offer that worthwhile as opposed to say... nin/mnk?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast