Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FFXI Private server...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

FFXI Private server...

Anyways, I remember about 6months back there was a group of people who was attemping to make a private server.
    The only problem they ran into was the C++..
    If anyone remembers the website to the forums, please tell.
    Although my PC is unable to run FFXI, I would like to read up on it.

Sorry to anyone who opened the topic thinking there was accually a private server link or ready to flame me for asking if there are private servers.

It was called something likke ffxi project or something...

Prediction. 700 views before 10 post, consisting of a minimum of 9 flames in the first ten post.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

No idea what you're referring too but I remember reading somewhere that a private FFXI server would be either impossible or just too much hard work because of how much the game relies on being told by the server whats what.

Either way, what good is a private server when no hates you for having a Ridill and full Armada?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

From what I understand it went down in flames due to

1-You still need PlayOnline to connect and that means your using SE's servers. SE allowing you to use their servers to connect? F-no.

2-Even with all the hacks, bots and shit, reverse-engerearing FFXI is no small task and SE just laughs at people who ask them to make sorce-code public.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Found it, to anyone interested...

http://projectxi.sourceforge.net/index.htm

They have been working at it since November 2004

Anyways, imagine being able to play for free....get relics by doing something extremely simple rather than the trouble.
    Ridills, D Rings, P. Gorgets
    Oh well, gonna look around the forum

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Roger324

Anyways, imagine being able to play for free....get relics by doing something extremely simple rather than the trouble.
    Imagine taking everything challenging out of the game, imagine destroying the purpose of having an online game that revolves around community, imagine... I give up, I hate this argument and will never see why people think it's a realistic or even desirable goal to essentially make an RPG out of an MMORPG... You know how many shits & giggles I get from all the shitty players I have to deal with on a daily basis? Valkurm dunes would just be too boring without all the RDM/NINs and WHM/WARs that make FFXI tick.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

the only use i'd find for a private server would be to test creative strategies.

Otherwise, it gets old real fast. I guess that would be a good thing for someone looking for a fast way to quit FFXI. Just 'beat the game' on a private server then quit paying monthly fees and the game entirely. It's private server-as-methadone for MMORPGs.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Imagine, all the worthwhile changes people suggest but SE ignores being added while keeping the game a competitive environment?

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko

Imagine taking everything challenging out of the game, imagine destroying the purpose of having an online game that revolves around community, imagine... I give up, I hate this argument and will never see why people think it's a realistic or even desirable goal to essentially make an RPG out of an MMORPG... You know how many shits & giggles I get from all the shitty players I have to deal with on a daily basis? Valkurm dunes would just be too boring without all the RDM/NINs and WHM/WARs that make FFXI tick.
    I agree, P.Servers completely destroy the original game. Look at RO, P.Servers all over the place, and P.Servers never have a good community.

Seriously, I would understand if it took ages to level up and stuff, but getting to 75 is EASY. The only people who need a P.Server are those who suck too much to make do on real servers.

Yea, imagine how fucking stupid that would be lol. Hello NPC, I'd like to buy a Defending Ring for 10 gil. Ahh yes, thank you. Now I'll cancel my account.

This sort of reminds me of open Battle.net from Diablo 2. Seems kinda pointless.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Priran
    Imagine, all the worthwhile changes people suggest but SE ignores being added while keeping the game a competitive environment?
    This isn's some open-source group project where we all get to pitch in and make our own changes. This is a product that we all bought and I'd say we are lucky as shit to have even one of our thoughts heard by the developers. We pay for a service, but the service isn't for them to change the game to how we see fit.

I'll also never understand the people so unsatisfied but still playing. I'll go ahead and leave the game developing to the people who've built an empire on creating legendary role playing games. As soon as people realize their voices can be heard perhaps, everyone becomes a fucking professional and thinks they can build a better mouse trap. There's a reason why we're the losers sitting on our asses playing video games all day long and they are the ones getting 6-digit paychecks for creating them.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Setats
    This sort of reminds me of open Battle.net from Diablo 2. Seems kinda pointless.
    Oh that shit was fun! Jimalli(sp) hax up every single player characters..those were the days ; ;

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

For people who have played this game since NA release, joined multiple HNMls on account of them not being able to compete with linkshells who use bots...hell even gil sellers.
    When you have played a game that is no longer fun seeing as you log on to the game like it is a job.

Would I try out the private server if it worked....yes.
    Would I want to get an item that on Fairy a JP Linkshell botted for well over a year, running in circles at one time for over 4 hours....yes.
    Would I want to use all the different relics rather than waste over a year getting just one...?
    Isn't it fun to compete with other linkshells and gil sellers for 3 hours to loss a claim to guess what, come back the following Saturday night.
    To you, private servers are a bad idea.
    To me, private servers are a good idea if you yourself believe you have beat a game that is in fact, unbeatable..

Final Fantasy is not fun..... its an obligation that is meant to be your Final Fantasy.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Final Fantasy is not fun..... its an obligation that is meant to be your Final Fantasy.
    If this is true for anyone, please just /shutdown, uninstall, toss your FFXI CDs in the trash, delete your bookmarks to any FFXI-related message boards and save us all a little bit of headache.

Thank you in advance.

(oh yeah and send me your valuables if you're on Kujata)

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For people who have played this game since NA release, joined multiple HNMls on account of them not being able to compete with linkshells who use bots...hell even gil sellers.
    When you have played a game that is no longer fun seeing as you log on to the game like it is a job.

Would I try out the private server if it worked....yes.
    Would I want to get an item that on Fairy a JP Linkshell botted for well over a year, running in circles at one time for over 4 hours....yes.
    Would I want to use all the different relics rather than waste over a year getting just one...?
    Isn't it fun to compete with other linkshells and gil sellers for 3 hours to loss a claim to guess what, come back the following Saturday night.
    To you, private servers are a bad idea.
    To me, private servers are a good idea if you yourself believe you have beat a game that is in fact, unbeatable..

LOL SECURE!

Private servers would be fun but..BUT having to do work for your items is better than geting them easy as hell,mainly what this game was designed for.

edit: Who are you anyways >_> on fairee

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

If a private server was released... which there are already for WoW, PO, RO, Battlenet etc, it would be nice. BNETD went through the whole "not legal thing" and theres still private servers, and I dont think the lawsuit ever happened.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

It would be fairly easy to make a server that just lets you run around anywhere, knowing the encryption and client-server communication protocol. That is even much easier than making a model-viewer (all the things you can do in modelviewer are clientbased obviously, and POL fooled into thinking it's connecting to a SE server would do all the rendering for you).
    You get an idea of that when you start getting R0, everyone sorta freezes and you can still move around before you DC.
    Even handling multiple players would not be difficult, but adding more than one monster you basically need to add code for each of those monsters telling it when to move, how to agro, etc. Same for damage equations.

So you definitely couldn't use it to test anything about strategies that could work in the real server.

It could be a nice simple tool to make your own videos, like people do now using .DAT swaps to make their friends or mandragoras look like Bahamut, and cure look like quake2..

Personally I think for now there's not much point in it, when the game finally is retired it could be nice for nostalgic purposes but without your own account and friends it would just be a trip through memory lane as the only way to see and remember how xarcabard looked like or whatnot.
    If the project is kept open and works well I might use it as a glorified modelviewer maybe making my own personal server. As far as private fully functional servers, I don't know if I would trust whoever holds the server to be trustworthy, fair and not be tempted to allow cheating for profit etc, and without that things in the game would probably not mean much.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by genome
    a glorified modelviewer
    EXACTLY

You buy gil don't you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast