BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Tom-Yum-Goong aka The Protector

Tony Jaa's newest movie is being released this friday in theaters!

For those of you who havent seen this movie yet (yay for Thai movies) this one is a must! If youve seen and liked the fighting in Ong-Bak, this one blows it out of the water, it is amazing.

Tony Jaa is also making an Ong-Bak sequel and will be costarring in Rush Hour 3 with Jackie Chan :Q Cant wait for that.

protector subbed or english?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by untouchable
    Not sure, I actually just wondered that myself a few minutes ago.

I know Tony speaks a bit of English.. but I dont know how well. Ong-Bak was brought to NA too, but I never saw it.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Suck-Bak. Ugh. I hated that damn movie. Saw the protector months ago, it was labeled Suck-Bak 2. Watched it and was dissapointed again.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have it on DVD.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

What is his deal with the flying knee-smash? There's no way that's actually practical in any form of martial arts.

Vobent

Quote Originally Posted by Huggo
    What is his deal with the flying knee-smash? There's no way that's actually practical in any form of martial arts.
    lolz it looks coolz ^____________________^

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's prob the move his trademark move.

He does mui thai (spelt wrong). Anyway, Ong-Bak and Tom Yum Goong fucking own, the story is pretty stupid in both but the fight scenes are amazing.

Also TYG is mostly filmed in Australia, I hope they don't dub it though, cause dubbed Ong-Bak is terrible.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It would be a shame if they dub it. There is a lot of "english" in the movie. But people are lazy and they'll be forced to dub it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    It's prob the move his trademark move.
    It has to be, since you see it 10 different ways on 10 different baddies in the previews.

He's done some pretty crazy moves in both movies. Anyway, the co-staring with Jackie-Chan is most likely because he's compared to Jackie Chan a lot, and actually JC is in this movie for a brief moment (it's kinda funny).

Old Merits
    BG Level

I really liked Ong-Bak even though some of his moves are unrealistic, the fight scenes were incredibly entertaining. I will definitely see this as me and my friends all love martial arts flicks.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Budd Lite
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by untouchable
    The Protecter, in theatrical form, is dubbed partially. You can tell in the preview trailer, Johnny's voice is different. I remember the NY Times review saying something about how a few of the actors that don't speak English had the voices dubbed, but the rest of the movie (that was in English) stays in tact.

I have the Thai DVD, but I'm going to see this one when it comes out tomorrow.

District B13 comes out soon, too. Directed by the same guy that did Ong-Bak and Transporter 2. Looks similar, but Tony Jaa isn't in it. I have the DVD, but it's missing the Thai audio and English subs.

Edit: The one thing I'm not really looking forward to is the adding of music by The Rza to this movie..... why?

The Knee smash is in fact an incredibly powerful move. if you've seen the newest XMA on the discovery channel, one of the people doing a knee smash destroyed the equipment which tested the force of the hit. this equipment ( i think they said) had a capacity to test up to 2500 lbs/sq inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonosha

The Knee smash is in fact an incredibly powerful move. if you've seen the newest XMA on the discovery channel, one of the people doing a knee smash destroyed the equipment which tested the force of the hit. this equipment ( i think they said) had a capacity to test up to 2500 lbs/sq inch.
    I remember seeing that, they said something like it had the force of a car crash or something along those lines.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Holy shit, teach me please!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eternus
    I really liked Ong-Bak even though some of his moves are unrealistic, the fight scenes were incredibly entertaining. I will definitely see this as me and my friends all love martial arts flicks.
    Funny thing is they are real >.>; or well the moves that I can remember seeing are real, got any in mind XD? Cuz he does some crazy shit all the time from flying knee kicks to walking on people's shoulders and probably even flipping and landing on peoples shoulders (that dude had some good foundation when Tony Jaa landed on him to support the amount of pressure from moving through the air.)

Just google his name and click on Videos @ the top

Old Merits
    BG Level

I know they are real, but you would have to fighting someone that is very slow to get some of those moves to actually land. A good portion would be totally evaded if not countered. Muay-Thai kickboxers get thrashed in real MMA competitions (usually get choked out or submitted), they have recently tried to change rules so that stand up fighting has some sort of advantage. That is because people aren't entertained by people trying to submit eachother, they want to see stand up fighting. Those moves do work though in a fight where you have rules that are advantageous to a stand up fight, real fights however don't work like that. There are no rules in a real fight.

>.< i posted a reply but it didnt show it. forums dont like me. anywho...

The knee-smash and flying knee-smash are vastly different. the Flying with of course hurt to some degree but its more of a flashy move, or a knock down. The standing knee smash however is far more effective. by grabbing the opponents head or neck, you can pull them down into the strike while bring the knee into them at the same time for a far more powerful hit. Its usually used to incapacitate.

As for Muay Thai in MMA tournaments, they do get beat quite often because they are fighting a style far different then thiers, so they tend to make many more mistakes allowing the MMA fighter to get close, which is their strength. IF the Thai fighter is good enough to keep thier distance with kicks, the MMA fighter stands no chance. Also if the MMA fighter plants to much wieght on one of his legs, that pressure combined with a kick from a thai fighter will shater the bones in the leg.