+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Movie Thread

There have been plenty of threads about movies. I consider myself somewhat of a buff but usually even if a movie is bad I'll find a bright spot in it. Anyway the purpose of this thread is to discuss any new movies that have come out - what you thought about it, would you recommend it, etc.

Also, if you really think you have a good eye for movies in development/production/post-production/release check out the Hollywood Stock Exchange, it's a fun way to kill time at work: HSE. Also note I'm not going to include limited releases and LA/NY releases.

Last Week's Releases:
    Crank
    The Wicker Man
    Crossover

This Week's Releases:
    The Covenant
    Hollywoodland
    The Protector

My thoughts on last week, Crank looks cool, I'll have to check it out even though someone said it's "Speed" redone in Jason Statham's character Chev Chelios's body. I'll pass on Wicker Man/Crossover.

As far as this week goes, The Covenant looks dumb but it may end up in my Netflix queue since it seems like an interesting idea but I forecast a lot of dumb dialogue about "powers" and DBZ-style fights. Hollywoodland is one I'm not particularly interested in, but I will probably check out The Protector sometime this week.

I think Covenant might be a good movie.. but then again.. they seem like teen-age type charcters... so yeah, you're more than likely right on the possible dumb dialogue. I'd say it has potential but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'm still going to see it though.

Yeah, apparently Crank is one of those rare movies that promises non-stop (literally) action and then really delivers.

Wicker Man and Crossover are equally bad films, don't see them. As for this week, if you liked Ong-Bak, go check out The Protector. Hollywoodland is a definate watch (Ben Affleck, lol) and The Covenant is a pass unless you really like to watch movies with super powers, because you in fact wish you had those powers.

Things to look forward to:

Coming Up Soon:
    The Last Kiss (9/15)
    The Black Dahlia (9/15)
    Jackass: Number Two (9/22)

Futher Off, But Damn I can't Wait:
    Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (11/3)
    The Fountain (11/22)
    Children Of Men (12/25)

Lots more good movies to come in the remainder of the year... And I have to say, after the completely disappointing summer B.O. (excluding rare gems like Little Miss Sunshine), I'm very excited for the rest of the year.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Cant wait for Jackass: Number two <3

Groovebox

I'm really looking forward to The Prestige.... I've been hyped ever since I saw the trailer and read about it >.>

And yeah, Jackass II... can't fucking wait for that lol

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

The Covenant was pretty good I thought. It scared me pretty bad, but I get scared easily... lol
    all-in-all I liked it & would recommend it to people.

saw protector yesterday and it was as i expected (really good)

the only things that sucked were the length (only ~1.5 hrs) and the story (but that was expected)

everything else was phenomenal. not as bloody at ong-bak but a LOT more bone breaking and general dislocated joints.

New Merits
    BG Level

Hey Talus I consider myself somewhat of a movie buff as well. Although this movie wasn't recent I highly reccommend it.

Croupier w/ Clive Owen.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I have to 2nd the Croupier. That movie was the first time I'd ever seen Clive Owen, and it made me a huge fan.

E. Body
    BG Level

Clive Owen's the man...he was badass in "Inside Man" and "Sin City" (especially the latter).

King Arthur was meh.

I'm still trying to get out to see Crank, and am waiting to see Jackass 2 simply because of the human fishing.

Little Mother
    BG Level

I'm really looking forward to seeing The Protector, Tarantino has never really dissapointed me with one of his movies, and I don't expect him to start now.

I wasn't expecting Crank to be anygood, at the start the actor seemed so forced and stale, but as the movie progressed I grew to love the movie more and more, by the end I was totally smitten, such an awesome movie. Funny too.

edit: best fight scenes in the protector are the stairway fight (when he's going up to the secret restaurant place), the fight after he gets there and the 3 fights at the temple.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze
    I'm really looking forward to seeing The Protector, Tarantino has never really dissapointed me with one of his movies, and I don't expect him to start now.
    He didnt have anything to do with the making of the movie, he just brought it over to america.

But yeah, Tom-Yum-Goong is a really good movie, go go see it.

The only thing im worried about is if it will be dubbed or subbed. A lot of it is filmed in Australia, but it's still hard to understand the main aussie guy, I know Tony Jaa can speak some english, but not sure how much. Jaa has a really good voice and Id hate to see him subbed over.

Somoene else already mentioned it, but go check out the fountain. Like read into what it's about don't just watch the trailers. It looks truely amazing and unique.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

the covenant was just like the guy version of the craft basically...

but, this was a lot shorter, a lot less detailed, and i think it could have been an incredible movie if it was worked on properly

These just recently came out in the UK, but what do people think about A Scanner Darkly and the new Will Ferrel movie? Pretty interesting in A Scanner Darkly, even if only for the style.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

A Scanner Darkly was fairly unknown in the states since most major theaters refused to play it. I have to wait for it on DVD since I didn't wanna take a road trip to the nearest theater playing it.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just got back from Crank, holy shit, that movie has spoiled me. All action all the time, some of it wasnt the best, but it was all literally non stop action.

Lionsgate has some kick ass movies comming out, Saw3, texas chainsaw for some. There was this preview for employee of the month, it didnt look to good, but it had a great cast.

Also looking forward to the James Bond movie and Jet Li's Flawless, 2006 is a really good year for movies.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Covenant sucked, as a lot of people have said it was like The Craft with boys, and looked like a failed WB drama. The concept was cool, but the character development and a lot of the acting was just terrible

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze
    It's not a Tarantino movie... It's presented by him, much like the film, Hero. Basically just a media blitz to make people like you think he did something with it so that it increases sales. Guess what? Apparently it works, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast