+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MGM to unveil The Hobbit     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

MGM to unveil The Hobbit

Source: Variety (via comingsoon.net): In a Variety article talking about MGM's move back into the tentpole business, the trade mentions a few highly-anticipated projects that are in the works:
    Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

It has already announced a "Pink Panther" sequel and the next 007 pic "Bond 22," due out in November 2008. "Rocky Balboa" unspools in February.

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios. "

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Another Terminator? <_<

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Insanelol
    Another Terminator? <_<
    ;_; Let the soul of the awesome movie end with terminator 2!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Re: MGM to unveil The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.
    badass

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Brien
    badass
    i love that movie.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Vade
    badass
    i love that movie.
    it was quite cool

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I'm glad they're making The Hobbit into a movie. I like that book a lot more than the LoTR series.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes
    Another Terminator? <_<
    ;_; Let the soul of the awesome movie end with terminator 2!
    Yes...I agree. Two was the best. Should have ended it there. But I heard that Claire Danes and that other jerkoff signed on for number 4, and that Arnold wouldn't even be in 4. It should focus on how they built up the resistance after Judgement Day.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Another Terminator? <_<
    Might be O...F...N but I don't get out to the movies much.

Has anyone seen the preview for the "new" Rocky film? I thought it was a joke when the preview started...

YO ADRIAN PICK ME UP SOME DEPENDS AT THE STORE EH?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Terminator 3 didn't even take itself seriously at all. It wasn't a very good movie either, but decent enough. Set up the plot for the next movie, which will be very post-apocalyptic and will suck more. I agree they should have ended the series after the second film, maybe the first since Arnold is better as a unstoppable evil killing machine than some lame robot trying to identify with a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by Vade
    badass
    i love that movie.
    it was quite cool
    Yes that movie owns.
    And I am so pumped for The Hobbit. I had heard rumors of this about a year ago, before lolKingKong came out, that Jackson was going to be working on The Hobbit when he was done with King Kong.
    I don't understand why he didn't make The Hobbit first as it is a prequel to LoTR and the story is better.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Hobbit was a great book... I hope they go into as much detail as they did with LOTR.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Hobbit was a great book... I hope they go into as much detail as they did with LOTR.
    And I also hope they don't make any changes that were completely unnecessary. Like I dunno, Faramir's little jaunt into territory Tolkien never even eluded to. Wtf was up with Jackson making it seem like Faramir wanted the ring too? Tolkien painted the two brothers as almost polar opposites, which is why Denethor favored Boromir over Faramir. Changing this added nothing to the movie, it only gave Jackson an opportunity to throw in some more Nazgul CGI. Just one of many pet peeves of mine over that movie.

Also, never did like Andy Serkis' voicing of Gollum. I think I was predisposed to what Gollum should have sounded like with Theodore's superb voice acting of Gollum in the Rankin/Bass animated version of the Hobbit and The Return of the King. Sucks that he died years ago, I would have loved Jackson to have cast him for Gollum's voice.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    And I also hope they don't make any changes that were completely unnecessary. Like I dunno, Faramir's little jaunt into territory Tolkien never even eluded to. Wtf was up with Jackson making it seem like Faramir wanted the ring too? Tolkien painted the two brothers as almost polar opposites, which is why Denethor favored Boromir over Faramir. Changing this added nothing to the movie, it only gave Jackson an opportunity to throw in some more Nazgul CGI. Just one of many pet peeves of mine over that movie.

Also, never did like Andy Serkis' voicing of Gollum. I think I was predisposed to what Gollum should have sounded like with Theodore's superb voice acting of Gollum in the Rankin/Bass animated version of the Hobbit and The Return of the King. Sucks that he died years ago, I would have loved Jackson to have cast him for Gollum's voice.
    You figure they will use the same CGI for gollum in this too? Man I was sad when LOTR movies ended... but this gives me something to look foward to.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

You figure they will use the same CGI for gollum in this too? Man I was sad when LOTR movies ended... but this gives me something to look foward to.
    Not sure. I would imagine that even in the short span of time (relatively speaking) since the LotR movies came out that CGI technology has advanced significantly. I'm sure that Gollum will look the same, but I would also expect him to be more expressive and look even more impressive as far as blending seamlessly into the movie than he did in the LotR.

This was one of the things that really pissed me off too. Apparently Jackson did it to give Faramir a "character arc". Basically he didn't like the fact that Faramir didn't really change at all over the course of the story, or at least that's what I gathered from various sources.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

It's not 100% that Peter Jackson is doing The Hobbit, so it's not 100% that WETA will be doing the special effects, therefore Gollum might not look like he did in the LOTR series. I really liked how he was portrayed though, and thought Andy Serkis did a great job.

Also, you can't get too mad at Jackson taking some creative freedom with the characters. If Faramir had done in the movie what he did in the book, that is, saying he, "Wouldn't take the ring if he saw it on the side of the road," or whatever, it would have made the ring seem almost meaningless, and not as powerful as it actually was. All the building up, with Bilbo, Galadriel, and Boromir would have been confusing if they all got fucking weird because of the ring, and this one, seemingly normal guy, didn't give a shit about it, you know?

In that respect I can completely understand what Jackson was doing, and it made sense to me so I can respect the decision. Things like killing Haldir were the things that made me think "what the fuck" because they didn't really have a point or a further meaning, than just killing someone off.

I love the LOTR books, and I fucking...am obsessed with the movies, so if Jackson goes on to make The Hobbit I'll be very pleased.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan
    gag

Naver

LEAH, I miss you. Come back to FFXI for a day or two just to say hello~

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

my account is deactivated, I forgot my password, and it's uninstalled on my pc...so bascailly I can't. sorry