+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For my fellow Iowans...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

For my fellow Iowans...

I'm curious, I got this email today and I'm not exactly 100% sure what it means. Could someone elaborate? I don't really feel like participating in it unless maybe I can fuxxorz M$ out of some money... who knows.

Anyone care to elaborate for me what precisely is going on?

----------------------------------------------------
    IF YOU PURCHASED CERTAIN MICROSOFT SOFTWARE, OR A COMPUTER ON WHICH IT WAS INSTALLED, THIS NOTICE MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS:

Please read this Court-ordered class action notice.

If you purchased in Iowa certain Microsoft software, or a computer on which it was installed, as described in the section below called “Who is Included,” you or your company may be affected by a class action lawsuit in Joe Comes, et al. v. Microsoft Corporation, No. CL 82311. (Although Microsoft software is licensed, the simpler term “purchased” is used here.) This notice is to tell you about the Court’s certification of two “Plaintiff Classes,” the claims in the case, and your right to participate in, or exclude yourself from, the Classes.

WHAT IS THIS CASE ABOUT?

The Plaintiffs claim Microsoft violated Iowa’s antitrust laws by monopolizing and unreasonably restraining trade in the markets for Intel-compatible (i) personal computer operating system software, and (ii) applications software, including word processing, spreadsheet and office-suite software. The Plaintiffs claim that Microsoft harmed Class Members by illegally overcharging for its software, by denying Class Members free choice in software products and the benefits of software innovation, and by making computers increasingly susceptible to security breaches. Plaintiffs also allege that Microsoft engaged in anticompetitive conduct in new and specialized purported software markets for server operating systems. Plaintiffs are asking for money from Microsoft. Microsoft denies the claims and says it developed and sold high quality software products at fair and reasonable prices. The Court has not yet decided whether the Plaintiffs or Microsoft are right. A trial is scheduled to begin on November 13, 2006.

WHO IS INCLUDED?

You are a “Class Member” if you purchased certain software, or a computer on which this software was already installed, from and including May 18, 1994 through June 30, 2006, from a vendor other than Microsoft (for example, a retailer or distributor) AND you are part of one of these Court-defined Classes: (a) all persons or entities in Iowa who purchased or acquired, for purposes other than re-sale or distribution, Microsoft Windows or MS-DOS (the “Operating System Software Class”), or (b) all persons or entities in Iowa who purchased or acquired, for purposes other than re-sale or distribution, Microsoft Word, Excel, or Office (the “Application Software Class”). The Classes do not include Microsoft and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors and employees, and governmental entities.

HOW DO I REMAIN A CLASS MEMBER?

To remain a Class Member, you don’t have to do anything now. As a Class Member, you will be bound by all orders and judgments of the Court regardless of whether the orders or judgment are favorable to the Class. Any claims you have against Microsoft about the claims in this case will be determined by the final resolution of the case. You don’t have to pay the attorneys for the Classes. There will be no cost to you to remain a Class Member. If they obtain a recovery from Microsoft, they will ask the Court for reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs to be paid by Microsoft or from any funds recovered. As a Class Member, you may appear in the case personally or you may appear in the case through your own attorney whom you will have to pay.

HOW DO I ASK TO BE EXCLUDED?

If you are an individual or an authorized representative of a company, and you want to be excluded from the Class: (1) click the link at the bottom of this e-mail message to access the online exclusion form, or (2) mail a signed letter asking to be excluded. All exclusion requests must be mailed and postmarked by November 13, 2006, to Roxanne Conlin & Associates, P.O. Box 7904, Des Moines, Iowa 50323-9404. If you exclude yourself, you can’t participate in any recovery obtained for either Class, and you won’t be bound by any Court orders or judgments. If you want to remain a Class Member, don’t submit an exclusion form.

WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS?

Visit the website at http://www.IowaSoftwareSuit.com or write to Roxanne Conlin & Associates, P.O. Box 7904, Des Moines, Iowa 50323-9404. All Court records may be examined in person and copied at the Clerk of Court, Polk County, Polk County Courthouse, 500 Mulberry St., Des Moines, IA 50309. PLEASE DO NOT PHONE THE COURT.

Dated: August 24, 2006, The Honorable Scott D. Rosenberg, Polk County District Court Judge.

Microsoft Claims Exclusion Request.

--------------------------------

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

"we will sell you our software, but only if you buy it bundled with our other softwares, no we will not sell you just the item you need, you need this YOU NEED IT MOTHERFUCKER TAKE IT GOD DAMMIT AND BUY AN XBOX"

basically one of the microsoft fuckups they are working to fix now

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You got solicited by lawyers trying to make a buck. It won't be the last time you get one of these for an abundance of different suits.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Can I make teh moneyz out of it?

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Can I make teh moneyz out of it?
    potentially, yes. but probably even if you do it'd be a very small amount.

i got something like this a few years back. Something about a record company that did something not right so if you bought one of there discs in between a certain time period you were able to collect a portion of the settlement based on how many people responded and what the settlement was.

I took 2 seconds to go fill out this thing saying that i did indeed purchase it and some months later i got a check in the mail for like 50 bucks.