+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

WHM/NIN cotanking with other PLD/NIN on wyrms?

Looking at how brd/nin can be played pretty well as a cotank on mobs like Fafnir for example, and after recieving both the Templar Mace and Asklepios today (1/1 on both w00t), I got an idea, thinking WHM/NIN could also do it as well. We have Flash, and can create impressive cures with the +25% gained on these 2 clubs(+nobles), + our haste gear + haste spell, Loq Earring, would help with shadows as well. Using this approach also means we arent forced to go -enmity, and we have the ability to pull hate at will and have even better or at least equal shadow recasts than pld/nin. Making this post to hear some constructive feedback on any possible scenarios, and this is just an idea I had, not to say it should be done, but looking at what we have available it does seem plausible.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sure, take the best healing class in the game and put them at a job three other classes play proficiently. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Totien
    Sure, take the best healing class in the game and put them at a job three other classes play proficiently. Good idea.
    Will you please fix your signature? It's positive.

Anything is possible, with the help of a crazy mind and reading "The Little Engine that could" as a child...

Our ouryu run 2 weekends ago:
    http://bifu.livejournal.com/42570.html?mode=reply

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Of course WHM is the best healing class in the game, but if only 1 PLD is on (like in the cases where I saw this LS do faf's 1 pld/nin + 1 brd/nin alot), this seems viable. By cotanking, we arent losing our ability to do our job, we're merely assisting in a new way.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Asklepios is 100% drop..

I'm tempted to try it sometime once my LS is more comfortable. What we have now works though, but then again, when it becomes routine, it is fun to mix up setups to make it somewhat new again.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Didn't Zigma tank Jorm on his WHM ages ago? lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I co-tanked Hyrda on WHM/NIN as 2 of 3 PLD went down. Also did the same to Cerberus.

NQ Blessed, Loquatius, Swiftbelt and Haste get your NI to 28 Seconds. Too bad blessed also has hugh emnity- on it. I didnt bother to make any fancy emnity+ macros.

Tank PT WHM is usually on TOP of the hatelist. When you start throwing out Cure 4 and Flash hate can be easily yours.

Basically as WHM/NIN you hope to get roared then brag how good your hate management is >>;

I remember seeing a pic of WHM/NIN tanking jorg somewhere on the forums before, lol

Black Belt
    BG Level

the best thing about WHM at HNMs is they can Haste and restore a lot of HP for very little hate via Regen and Cure V. a WHM/NIN would probably not be doing that at the expense of keeping shadows up and using more Cure IVs for hate. also you'd never count on a WHM/NIN tank to Raise.

on top of that when you use a WHM/NIN tank you're basically giving up the vast MP pool that a WHM has. tanks can't afford to use more MP than they are Refreshing because resting is rarely if ever an option.

a BRD/NIN can still do Elegy, Threnody and keep 2 buff songs up (for indoor areas) while getting hate. for the most part they are still filling the role you want a BRD for in the first place.

i'm sure WHM/NIN will work for making the WHM much more survivable but overall you lose more than you gain if you have other jobs capable of doing a similar thing. WHMs also don't have JAs like PLDs to get hate back fast after they get roared so they are more back-up tanks than co-tanks. maybe bar spell spamming can achieve that but that might end up being a massive MP drain.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

WHM/NIN is the only tanking job capable of doing cures, flash, and Flash!

Owait.

It sounds viable, simply because it makes a virtue out of what might otherwise be a crisis (i.e. the WHMs hate build)

Relic Horn
    BG Level

It works perfectly. Reason why its not done: Your LS has 4PLD and 6NIN and 8ppl who hate playing their WHM so your ally needs you as pure healer

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

yes, zigma tanked jorm with TTF (remembered he got all that +hp gear ) and Worldx tanked tiamat for a long time on whm/nin~ (i think thats why he leveled it >.> and the CC, to HQ/sign his shit for that event ;P)

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion
    It works perfectly. Reason why its not done: Your LS has 4PLD and 6NIN and 8ppl who hate playing their WHM so your ally needs you as pure healer
    nail meet hammer

Ashira

Yeah, we've discussed this a number of times in our own shell, to be able to use WHM/NIN, hopefully... me... in an 'emergency' style tanking setup (i.e., having only 10-15 people around) on Wyrms etc, being a part of a 2 or 3 person self sufficient tanking team with PLD/NIN, WAR/WHM, NIN/DRK, or NIN/WHM as the others. The basic idea is making a team that can pretty much completely keep themselves healed so that no one else spends any MP on them and can focus on other things.

I think though, the setup we discussed for my WHM included the Capricorn Staff over dual clubs, for the Haste, so that I could sub other pieces that are not Enmity for at least one or two blessed. Stacked up on HP gear too... I'd have to look at our discussion again, regarding gear to wear.

And Devotion fits so nicely into this scheme in general too.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Zigma did it nearly a year ago on Fafnir. We had a couple of good tanks along with a bunch of noob tanks and I have to admit that I doubt we would have won w/o Zigma tanking it on Whm/Nin.

I thought he was on ninja for half the battle until I heard over teamspeak, "Curaga4 comin' up!". We had tons of people meleeing it and feeding it tp for wingspam so he held massive hate from those curagas.

It was a very ugly win, but it was one of my bigger laughs in the linkshell. Look for the taru whm in the middle of the left hand group.
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2549/img00256hb.png

Quote Originally Posted by Taj
    yea my old linkshell killed faffy once and they don't invite thf, THEY INVITE NIN LDR FOR MIJIN HOW GAY IS THAT

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wow people killed fafnir without 100 people standing on top of/inside fafnir? Holy shit.