Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Help a Taru out ;(     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I had acually done my WAR in a static and it was great, we exped 4 times a week. We set a goal for the week and everyone had to reach it by friday by all means, this means going out of static and getting a party, but it was really fun. And needless to say we leveled really, really, really fast. Gogo 75 3 and a half weeks :O

Setup was as follows:

WAR - Me
    WAR - Sscythe
    NIN - Omnibuzz
    BLM - lolKaythen
    WHM - Meilyn
    BRD - Dreyfus

edit: on topic I dont think anyone would acually want to static atm, we do events ALOT. I am the only person that I know that is on 24/7 [meaning I can work around the events.]

I have three jobs at 75, namely RDM, NIN, and BLU. I liked/still like all three, but for different reasons:

RDM: My first job to 75, and you probably realize how painful it is during the grind levels. You don't get to make any E-peen shots, you just quietly keep the party going. It's a pretty thankless job even if you're the best in the biz. This job for me was fun to 55-60, then became kinda painful to grind, and then picked back up when I hit 75. In non-XP activities, it's now my favorite job to play. The versatility is astounding, and tweaking yourself in endgame is awesome. I've geared this job the most and also play it the most. I still hate XPing with it, though (with the possible exception of bugburn parties, but those don't count, they're too much like Dynamis and the endgame thing comes into play.)

NIN: The second job to 75. It was a big change of pace in that I was finally in melee range, getting the battle music, dealing with the mobs face-to-face instead of from a supporting role. It's a huge power trip, because when you have hate on a mob and it can't touch you, it's sitting there waiting to die. Again, this all depends on how well you can play it, and how attentive you are. It's really easy to be a shitty NIN; you have to keep your gear up to date, and tools aren't cheap. This job was fun to level all the way from 1 to 75, although it was still a grind at times, and I still love it in endgame, because of the countless tanking possibilities. Anything that can be meleed well can be NIN tanked through SATA, and then there's the now-infamous NIN/DRK combo that I'm still playing with. And this is the job I like meriting with most. Also, your evasion will be a breath of fresh air compared to the brick-wall dodging capabilities of your other jobs.

BLU: Third job to 75 and an absolute BLAST every level along the way. SATA death scissors from 60-75 never gets old, watching that HP bar roll down from 70 to dead in one shot. It takes more effort to level on account of farming spells, but really that's miniscule compared to the time you'll spend XPing any job. I actually duoed this job all the way to 30 which sped up the usually slow low levels, and at almost every level the job is tremendously overpowered. In endgame, it has so many applications I haven't even come close to figuring out what it's most useful for. But if you want something that's fun to level to 75, go for this.

IMO every job is fun to EXP across all level ranges...

...if you don't EXP with retards.

Unfortunately, 90% of the people playing FFXI are retards.

If you have friends to EXP with, level whatever you want, I guarantee you'll have fun.

If you will be doing pickup Parties, level something that gets a reasonable amount of invites to non-gimp Parties, and also play a large role in your damage output / downtime.

Support jobs (BRD, COR, WHM) are great for invites, but in a shitty PT they get shitty EXP if the melees and/or tank suck. Melee/Tank jobs play a much larger role in the EXP rate (if you play them well), but then you run into the problem of exping with pickup WHM #1281 who doesn't know what Regen or Haste is, or how to /heal before all of their MP is gone.

Jobs like "lolPUP and lolDRG" are actually verrrry good for EXP parties when played properly, but the stereotype for these jobs significantly reduces their invite rate.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

If your chi-blasing on MNK, you should be at that event on another job. In the year ive played MNK, ive chi-blasted once. That was at JoL and only reason i was there on MNK was for kraken DRKs (fully meritted mantra). Aside from grand wyrms, JoL, AV, there isnt really anything you can't melee.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tythera
    I just did ninja to 75 and it was a blast. Like Stellar said, it's fun to set goals for yourself. A major plus (for me anyways) of doing it is parry skill. Also not too terribly expensive for good gear and all the tools you'll use. Did I mention parry skill?

Parry.
    word
    http://9.forumer.com/uploads/solstic...1158276562.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa
    if you can enjoy the fact that it is a pain in the ass to get parties, and the fact that lvling with nubs will make xping a total cock in the ass...lvl thief.

if you can static w/ a bunch of friends, its actually really fun.
    Any job, if staticed with friends, in a setup built to work with the jobs present, is really fun.

What makes certain jobs easier to XP is that you can just throw them into any random PT setup and it will work.

Not saying you are wrong (I have a static THF with my NIN), but it is true of just about any job.

Regarding BLM: The invites suck 60-70. However, 70+, pretty much all of the BLMs I know (those from my Dynamis shell and those from my HNMLS) all just level & merit together. Normally a level 70-75 PT split doesn't work, but when it's the madness of a Pudding Manaburn, who cares?

Most BLMs don't even bother flagging, just go to Mount Zhayolm and solo/duo Wamoura until a BRD and/or enough BLMs show up to make it worth doing puddings.

Samurai... well, SAM is a job that can be intensely frustrating when the PT setup just isn't right for SAM play. As a SAM, you want quick TP gain, preferably with other PT members closing the renkei, preferably with SATA. You don't want slow TP gainers. You also need people who are aware of the limitation of their and your timers. Played right, Samurai is a job where you are constantly tracking ahead for timer recasts and likely TP gain.

And yeah, I'm levelling NIN for the Parrying skillups too. Hauby and all the +Parry I can equip, it's going up pretty fast in speedkill PTs

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

If you said you're insanely bored, why level a boring job? Play a fun job that doesnt necessarily become useful at endgame.

I have bst at 75, even though this job is now a crock of shit thanks to SE nerfing it over and over, I've had some of the most fun times on this job. Completely useless endgame and at every HNM due to the fact that if you can charm it, add pt / blm can rape it, it's nothing but a BCNM whore once you're 75.

My advice for theif, is it's probably the only job I've played where your performance depends entirely on the rest of your party pre 60 (Assasin). Nobody lining up for SA+TA = Failed JA's, Other member cant pull hate for SA+TA = failed JA's. It can be frustrating at times, but it's fun when your party isnt made of retards.

I'v myself leveled all of THF, WAR and NIN to 75.

My first job was thief. It was fun at start, but eventually it got horrendously boring and thf was weak back then (compared to now anyway. Crappy gear choice and no Assassin), so post 60 I was getting virtually no invites, i once went a month apart from my last xp pt. And I had virtually nothing much to do during fights, as most PTs i got invited to were retarded, didnt need much effort in there. Ended up helping catching up on my reading and beat a few games on my GBA too during xp PTs. Got sick of it eventually around lev 72 and leveled NIN. (I eventually finished thf after completing war to 75)

My first reaction when playing ninja: HO-LY SHIT. I actually had to pay attention now I can honestly say this is the job I like the most out of all 3, because its very rare that i'm not doing anything, i'm next to the mob focused on it, AND trying to be the best DD i can while keeping everyone else safe. Busiest job I know, and it's what kept me playing. Sure it costs alot, and having as much fun as you can with this job costs alot, but well worth it. You said you didn't like tanking. What exactly don't you like about it?

And about war, i dont need to tell you much about it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've only ever leveled three jobs past 37.. MNK BRD and SAM.

MNK is truly my passion. Gear takes a while to obtain, because most of the best gear for the class is rare/ex, but in the longhaul I think it was worth it.

BRD I got to like 60 or something before I lost my character, and honestly if you were bored playing the class, you're not playing it right. I always insisted on being puller. Alot of times you'd get idiots that'd be like "brd puller wtf" and then I've got one slept and ready for them to kill after they're on their current mob.

I always wanted to level SAM. I got to midfifties before I kinda fell into Bard. The raw damage and SC capability is really useful in pretty much every situation, and the class itself is pretty fun too imo.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

Why not summoner? I'll tell you why not! Summoner sucks ass for 69 out of the 75 levels. It's boring as hell to be a gimp healer who buffs. I kept asking myself "Why do I want to play this?" At least it's very cheap to level. You don't really need much gear, and at 75, almost everything is ex.

Then I hit 70 and everything changed. When you get the level 70 bloodpacts you can become a major damage dealer. You become much more versatile in what you can do. You can make yourself useful in different ways for different mobs (but if it's a kited mob, you may as well not go as smn.)

Otherwise, I'd suggest BLU. You can be creative with your spell combos and I've heard people mention that it's very fun and powerful. I haven't played it myself, but that's what I hear.

White mage. Because someone has to have heart attacks over your red hp.

Kidding about red hp, but serious about fun. I know it may not be a 'fun' job to most, but I really enjoy keeping tanks standing up at hnms =p

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Tena
    Why not summoner? I'll tell you why not! Summoner sucks ass for 69 out of the 75 levels. It's boring as hell to be a gimp healer who buffs. I kept asking myself "Why do I want to play this?" At least it's very cheap to level. You don't really need much gear, and at 75, almost everything is ex.

Then I hit 70 and everything changed. When you get the level 70 bloodpacts you can become a major damage dealer. You become much more versatile in what you can do. You can make yourself useful in different ways for different mobs (but if it's a kited mob, you may as well not go as smn.)

Otherwise, I'd suggest BLU. You can be creative with your spell combos and I've heard people mention that it's very fun and powerful. I haven't played it myself, but that's what I hear.
    lol@noob smns

I really dislike people who think they become zomguberddnevercureagain once they hit lv70. (gogo smn derail, just need that shiva galka here now)

I always feel bad for asking a SMN to main heal. It shouldn't really be their job, but what else can be done? SMN needs XP, SMN has a bucketful of MP, PT needs a healer... and 1 Blood Pact a minute (or even 45 seconds) just does not cut it to justify a place in a PT.

What S-E should do is make the Blood Pact timer a soft cap timer. Go faster than the soft cap, and the Blood Pact cost spirals up, exponentially.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I sat down, riped up a peace of paper, wrote down all the jobs, put them in a hat, and picked out NIN. I have bought some really shitty gear to see if I like it. If I do I will upgrade [tho it only left me with 200k T_T] Lets see how it goes first.

If its only 37-40, give it time. Gets better once you get kurayami / hojo Ni and the gear stops sucking after a while, lol

Summoners who say Summoner is useless from 1-69 only say that because they never partied with other summoners lol.

Meanwhile Senoska, I would say make a mule and level paladin all over again. There's nothing like it :D

Pup seems really fun so far (@13) and whm is a ton of fun with a pld tank. Bard seems fun because you get to run around, but I have 0 experience with it. Whoever told you blm invites slow down bad near the end was right, 70+ you'd seek all day and get 1 invite. I'm leveling rdm now, @56 and I don't even ask about the party now, where it's going, job setup w/e. Just get the tell and take it after the pain of blm/pld70+ lol >_>

Hope you have fun with ninja.

If you wanna try something different than your first jobs I'd say blm, whm, thf, or pup (!!!).

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I have Leveled BLM SAM and am currently leveling MNK (69). Here is the Run down.

BLM: My first job and the one I use for all linkshell events. A very useful job and a great alternative to TPburn parties for merits with the introduction of Mount Zhayolm, where you can either get great XP with 1-6 other BLMs. The one thing about this job though is it is so cut and dry and constant that really it just gets boring after awhile. Makes me laugh everytime I see that Sig. that talks about the steps to select the right nuke and in the end it just comes down to casting T4.

MNK: I cant really talk about this job endgame and in TPburn parties for merits as I have yet to reach that level. The one thing I can say about this job is that the damage and party invites are both great and it's a very simple job. The only challenge that comes from It (more so as taru) is that you have to either have a set with a realy great tank or watch your hate. I mean with 400-500 ATK and 34 Defense the mind ponders all the trouble this causes. The One downside I have found so far to this job is that its boring as shit. Pretty much you can get a puller to <call> in their pulling macro and set it on attack and do whatever just TABing into FFXI to throw out a WS or two. Sure this wont make you the best MNK in a pickup party but hey it will most likely keep you from pulling to much hate and pissing off the healers and tanks :D .

SAM: This was my favorite job, seeing as it has several good subjob combonations ( RNG WAR THF ), is useful endgame due to Large one hit WS's and of course the TP, Yes the TP. There are some great different gear setups and all in all it is just fun as hell. The one downside is after lvl 55+ i found the invites really diminish, however I didnt have the luxary of ToAU to lvl in 50+, where all of the PTs I have been in while leveling MNK have really gone for A TPburn style.

The choice is yours. Evaluate the cost of gear and what sounds like the best mix of usefulness and excitement. My suggestion definately is SAM, if for anything else the 2-3 hit GK.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegend
    Summoners who say Summoner is useless from 1-69 only say that because they never partied with other summoners lol.

Meanwhile Senoska, I would say make a mule and level paladin all over again. There's nothing like it :D

Pup seems really fun so far (@13) and whm is a ton of fun with a pld tank. Bard seems fun because you get to run around, but I have 0 experience with it. Whoever told you blm invites slow down bad near the end was right, 70+ you'd seek all day and get 1 invite. I'm leveling rdm now, @56 and I don't even ask about the party now, where it's going, job setup w/e. Just get the tell and take it after the pain of blm/pld70+ lol >_>

Hope you have fun with ninja.

If you wanna try something different than your first jobs I'd say blm, whm, thf, or pup (!!!).
    ironicly my PLD is on another account >.>;

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

dont level summoner unless you want to be a summoner

if you want to be a summoner, PT as little as possible, and learn to solo your exp

when you have basic soloing, throw in harder things to solo (all forms of aggro, runspeed+, linking, ect)

solo the world and her brother THe MOON

get a horn, rub it, feel great about it~~~ :D

love summoner, live summoner, tell other summoners to gtfo! :D (do shit you're not supposed to x)))))))) :D

***(have sendoh tell you on vent that you've got some huge smn ego [that you need help from the people in your PT even when you know you can solo your own mammet while the other 3 PT members work on the other mammet], then have your PT die in uninvited guests ENM[not a real enm, but whatever], and proceed to kill the 2 mammets SORO :D then tell sendoh about how great you are, while again, rubbing your horn x)))))***

^true story ;3 (i didnt tell him how great i was because he ignores me, but i told slone ;3, and i didnt make my PT whipe >.>, i was doing my thing, killed my mammet, then killed theirs (*****'-')ego)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The person above me is stupid.