Thread: help with fSTR $_$     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mr Gummi
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

Quote Originally Posted by genome
    fSTR2 is explained very well in wiki, I am not sure where you have any confusion.
    I apologize please allow me to clarify for you. Cut and paste:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    fSTR is the damage bonus from your STR - monster VIT for melee attack
    since the rest of my 2 part question was answered already I will focus on just this part of the wiki now.

My question now is since fSTR = mySTR - mobVIT, and since i clearly need the fSTR number to finish the weaponskill damage calculation:
    WD * PDIF = (( D + fSTR + WSC) * fTP) * PDIF, how do I know what the mobs VIT is so that I can calculate fSTR, and in turn weaponskill dmg?

I hope that was a little bit better

You don't

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by XaocRamuh
    but attack is what evens out that range
    lol zam

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Priran
    but attack is what evens out that range
    lol zam
    His statement was a hell of a lot more accurate than the guy above saying that STR helps your accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by Awoir
    STR is what helps you hit more hits on multi hit weapon skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing
    fSTR2 is explained very well in wiki, I am not sure where you have any confusion.

since the rest of my 2 part question was answered already I will focus on just this part of the wiki now.

My question now is since fSTR = mySTR - mobVIT, and since i clearly need the fSTR number to finish the weaponskill damage calculation:
    WD * PDIF = (( D + fSTR + WSC) * fTP) * PDIF, how do I know what the mobs VIT is so that I can calculate fSTR, and in turn weaponskill dmg?

You don't know what the mob's vit is. We know the mob's vit for a very, very small sample of mobs(less than 10 total).

Also, fstr does not = yourstr - mobvit. It is a function of that. As the wiki stated, you need 4-6 str to increase your fstr by 1. This function is also a mystery.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

STR helps with DRG WS acc, because they can't otherwise equip acc gear.

fSTR is a function of yourSTR - mobVIT...
    means fSTR = f(ySTR - mVIT),
    not fSTR = ySTR - mVIT

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I guess the little 'f' in the STR didnt clue in the fact that it meant function.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mr Gummi
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

the question that that begs asking then, is if we have a function that we cant solve, that is a function of another function which we also cant solve, then why does anybody ever talk about it? in fact, why does anybody care about it?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Even though we don't know the exact equation, there is already a table that provides you with fSTR numbers for most situations.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And whoever says STR means nothing to -anyones- WSs (yes even those melee mages), is retarded.
    Well, yes, it is retarded to say it means nothing to anyone's WS, since it obviously means something to WARs with Rampage, and Steel Cyclone, for example.

However, it means very little to some people's WSs, and certainly doesn't mean something to everyone's WS.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mr Gummi
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

could someone please link me to this table with sample fSTR numbers? thanks^^

somebody should add that table to the wiki fSTR page too.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    And whoever says STR means nothing to -anyones- WSs (yes even those melee mages), is retarded.
    Well, yes, it is retarded to say it means nothing to anyone's WS, since it obviously means something to WARs with Rampage, and Steel Cyclone, for example.

However, it means very little to some people's WSs, and certainly doesn't mean something to everyone's WS.
    Only elementals WSs(cyclone, shining blade, sunburst, etc.) and Spirits Within don't use fSTR whatsoever (some WSs are elemental, meaning they don't use fSTR, but they still have STR as a secondary modifier, like Red Lotus Blade or all the elemental GK WSs). All others, even if STR isn't a direct secondary stat mod mod, are still affected by fSTR just due to being a physical WS.

Assuming he was actually referring mostly to WSs people actually used, then yes, pretty much every single decent WS has something to do with STR one way or the other

the question that that begs asking then, is if we have a function that we cant solve, that is a function of another function which we also cant solve, then why does anybody ever talk about it? in fact, why does anybody care about it?
    You still want to stack str for almost every job because str is a secondary modifier anyway for many ws. It's just nice to know you're getting some extra bang for your buck, so to speak.

You can still make some estimates, however rough they may be. We don't know exact amounts of hate generated by different spells/actions, people still discuss the viability of different tanks which is impossible if you know nothing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

So about the mobVIT, we actually now know the formula to compute almost all mobs VIT and def, from StudioGobli again
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Part/6371/
    If you know japanese you are kinda all set, if you don't you can use babelfish free from google language tools etc to autotranslate parts of it, but it loses all the column order and puts everything on the same line so it's a pain.

The broader answer though is that generally you don't use those equations to calculate exact damage, generally you use them to figure out how much impact adding this much STR or this much atk etc would add on various hypothetical what-if scenarios, and it helps you realize that adding say 10 STR when you are fighting lower than IT level mobs might only increase your hit damage between x and y amount, while 10 atk would make this much difference and so on. This also helps you figure out the capped damage for each weapon and so on, see for example this in terms of capped damage and different weapons and effects of STR and atk under specific circumstances:
    http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/11121.html

Also you can use things like java damage calculators to test things out quickly, you know all your stats from two different equipment sets you want to compare, and then for mobDEF and MobVIT you either put approximate guesses and ranges, or use the first link I mention and an autotranslate and plug in monster level and family and calculate the def and vit it has (you know the approximate level from how they check and from websites like somepage, you won't be off by more than a couple levels).
    For guessing, if for example you think "mob DEF is probably between 300 and 600", you can try to see how your damage ranges between those two numbers, and if each setup is only worth on one extreme but not the other and so on). Then when you actually fight them and look at your damage, you can figure out if they are closer to the 300 or 600 guess.
    One java damage calculator I know is
    http://www.killingifrit.com/page.php?al=dcalc

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mr Gummi
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

wow, thank you very much genome that was very helpful ^^

Blah, what I want to know is what determines resist rate for the resulting renkei. When I level a melee job and close chains I see an aweful lot of shittacular renkei damage, like single digit distortions or what have you. It doesn't happen nearly as often at 75 I find, as renkei will usually do full damage, but while leveling it often seems worthless to renkei unless theres a BLM in the party.

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    Blah, what I want to know is what determines resist rate for the resulting renkei. When I level a melee job and close chains I see an aweful lot of shittacular renkei damage, like single digit distortions or what have you. It doesn't happen nearly as often at 75 I find, as renkei will usually do full damage, but while leveling it often seems worthless to renkei unless theres a BLM in the party.
    Base damage is a factor determined by the damage of the closing weaponskill, magic attack bonus factors (including day, weather and use of elemental staves/MAB gear) and the level of the renkei (100% base damage for level 3 renkei).

Actual resultant damage depends on resist factors and magic accuracy (which is, as normal, affected by day, weather and staves).

This is why Rangers closing Light while wearing a Light or Fire Staff are going to get a higher damage base and be more likely to have the damage go unresisted.

I think the base magic accuracy of the renkei effect is equal to the closing weaponskill users skill in the weapon, but that's not definite. There's probably a stat factor in there somewhere too.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

I figure TP has something to do with it as well, since whereas I can basically expect a resisted SC when WSing at 100%, a lot of the time I see full-damage ones are when I close a WS with 2-300%.

I honestly haven't even considered testing that Priran. You could well be right, it would not be the first time TP has affected a magical effect (hi2u SMN nukes)