Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

EBGames/Gamestop says "Hand over your shit"

If this is true, I'm not happy, as the games/systems I have, I want to keep. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it's all a huge ass plot between the new and preowned game sellers.

http://www.etoychest.org/index.php?opti ... d=99999999

Relic Horn
    BG Level

It's business. If you don't like it, there's other places to shop. Hi Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Target, Wal-mart, K-Mart, and other specialty electronic shops.

They're taking a risk at losing some customers to haul in a lot of money off a launch that would normally be a huge headache for a low profit. It'll piss a lot of people off, but I really doubt there will be enough backlash to hurt them in the end.

They don't owe you anything and they're not in it to vie for your friendship or admiration. If this looked like the best choice to make the most money in the long run, can you blame them?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp
    It's business. If you don't like it, there's other places to shop. Hi Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Target, Wal-mart, K-Mart, and other specialty electronic shops.

They're taking a risk at losing some customers to haul in a lot of money off a launch that would normally be a huge headache for a low profit. It'll piss a lot of people off, but I really doubt there will be enough backlash to hurt them in the end.

They don't owe you anything and they're not in it to vie for your friendship or admiration. If this looked like the best choice to make the most money in the long run, can you blame them?
    No shit braintrust. I worked at most of those places along WITH EB, I know how things go. Thing is, most of those SAME places you spoke of, save for maybe Toys R Us all handle launches with the mindset of "Free for all." I don't want to deal with free-for-alls to get my system, never mind having to be armed at the latest ones.

Saying "Blahblahblahblahtheyoweyounothing" doesn't make it suck any less and you know resellers with half a fucking brain will just hit every second-hand game shop in the area with friends and family to get the $50 of trade in stuff.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sixtail
    No shit braintrust. I worked at most of those places along WITH EB, I know how things go. Thing is, most of those SAME places you spoke of, save for maybe Toys R Us all handle launches with the mindset of "Free for all." I don't want to deal with free-for-alls to get my system, never mind having to be armed at the latest ones.

Saying "Blahblahblahblahtheyoweyounothing" doesn't make it suck any less and you know resellers with half a fucking brain will just hit every second-hand game shop in the area with friends and family to get the $50 of trade in stuff.
    What's your point? EB and whomever get paid in the end. If you don't want to deal with free-for-alls, then go be the go-fer for EB and get them some games to mark up.

In the end. People do what they want. They make money.

Old Merits
    BG Level

EB and Gamestop and the like are shameless usurers. How many times have you seen a kid walk in there with a stack of games and get 4 bucks for it and be made to feel glad to get that? I've seen it, and I've been that kid, too. I'm done getting fucked in the ass by these places, though.

Nowadays I just chill until a few weeks/months after the launch date of whatever I want, and then run pick it up at somewhere like a Target or Best Buy. And I tend to keep my old games nowadays too, or just trash them when they're crap or something I got used for like 5 bucks anyway.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

After they included a third party controller in their preorder package for gamecube, I went along with it, and in the end felt so ripped off. From that point foreward I knew I wasen't going to pre-order from them again, even if it meant waiting.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I never did like paying $5-10 more for my games. I just go to Best Buy/Target. They almost always have the game that I want, when I want it.

As for the trade-in thing... I don't trade in my games anyway, nor do I buy used ones, for the simple reason that I know their shitty store is making more of a profit out of my own pocket, and I'm somewhat of a perfectionist -- I don't buy used games unless I abolutely HAVE to because I can't find it any where else, nor do I buy used clothing, movies, etc. Same reason I don't rent videos and books (unless it's for school), I'd much rather just buy it new.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

As an ex EB and T'r'U employee, I remember TRU used to let you buy these yellow slips you as pre-order slips. As for EB though, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they are monsters. I don't know how many times someone brough in an awesome game and the system would say $4 store credit. If It was a game I did not own and I wanted, I'd look at the person and say, "EB will give you $4 in store credit for this game. I will give you $5 cash to buy it for myself." By and by though, it's an ass fucking. It's one thing to make people buy a bundle. I remember when I got my GCN from work, I had to buy two accessories and three games, just so I could have a damn GCN! What kind of ass is that? This is just absurd though, forcing you to trade in your games and systems. What if I have nothing I want to trade in hmm? I am one of those peopel who keeps every game I buy, no matter how bad. I've done so sincem y atari. I don't want to fucking trade shit in to buy another game. They are pretty much refusing my legal tender and forcing me to barter. WTF kind of shit is that. I'll find somewhere else to get my Wii from.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well that article is old (atleast a month) or it doesnt apply to all tores, because I just reserved my Wii yesterday at an EB for 50$ cash.

I used to work at Babbages, Funcoland and Gamestop as an employee and all the way up to district manager years ago, and we used to be strait on the line company untill Gamestop/B&N bought out Babbages and Funco, then it all went down hill.

Now that they have EB its pretty much a monopoly and they can do whatever they want. Being on both sides of the fence, gamestop will not let anything in their way to screw people over, they have horrid practices. Its really quite sickining how much GS has changed over the past few years. They do turnovers basicly every year too, no employee was ever there longer than a year unless you have been with the company before the merges.

If you are buds with the manager, youll get treated right, but if youre just some random joe, youll get fucked.

That's pretty ass. Looks like Best Buy is my new store

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

ebgames and gamestop always charged the same amount as target / best buy where I live /shrug.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I never pre-ordered systems through those companies. I got my ps2 opening day through Toys R' Us. May not be the end all be all video game store but they were able to ship out the day before unlike gamestop and EB. And I like an honest company over a shady one.
    (b'')b

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I honestly don't fully belive this either... I haven't seen ANY mention of it on another website.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Toys 'R' Us wins, if not just for the nostalgia... and for riding tricycles around the store at full-throttle until you get kicked out. Back when the Gamecube came out there were lines of people camping out at every store that was going to carry it. I laughed and wasn't going to bother with that shit. Then we went to Toys 'R' Us after the huge line was gone, everyone packed up their tents. and went to go play Luigi's Mansion. There was still piles of 100+ Gamecubes lining the walls.

P.S. Do not shop at Electronic Boutique/Gamestop in the first place.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I used to work at Gamestop, and I thought the games were reasonable for trade in values. New games got 25-30$ trade in value, and older games usually got 10-15$, where the couple year old games, or sports games, got the 5-10$ mark. Then like N64 and PS1 games got the 1-5$. You're a company. You have to make money. Alot of people that traded in games were just looking for cash anyway, for drugs usually, or gas money because they were that poor I guess.

Anyway, if you call your local store they will probably say, "You can give us 50$ cash, OR you can trade in 50$ worth of old games/accessories/whatever towards the new system."

The latter seems like what the article was meaning to say, and not that it was the ONLY option you had. For the PSP and 360 launches we always allowed people to trade in a certain amount of items for a reservation on their systems. This shouldn't be any different.

If it is, hi hi Best Buy But I doubt it.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    I used to work at Gamestop, and I thought the games were reasonable for trade in values. New games got 25-30$ trade in value, and older games usually got 10-15$, where the couple year old games, or sports games, got the 5-10$ mark. Then like N64 and PS1 games got the 1-5$. You're a company. You have to make money. Alot of people that traded in games were just looking for cash anyway, for drugs usually, or gas money because they were that poor I guess.

Anyway, if you call your local store they will probably say, "You can give us 50$ cash, OR you can trade in 50$ worth of old games/accessories/whatever towards the new system."

The latter seems like what the article was meaning to say, and not that it was the ONLY option you had. For the PSP and 360 launches we always allowed people to trade in a certain amount of items for a reservation on their systems. This shouldn't be any different.

If it is, hi hi Best Buy But I doubt it.
    I always traded games i was done with that i wasnt fanatical about instead of dropping a full 50-60$ on something new (especially when it ends up blowing asshole)

I'm getting my wii at best buy, not because of this rumor, but because my friend jd works at best buy and hes got like 15% employee discount on these shitters

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Alot of people that traded in games were just looking for cash anyway, for drugs usually, or gas money because they were that poor I guess.
    Were they black?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Alot of people that traded in games were just looking for cash anyway, for drugs usually, or gas money because they were that poor I guess.
    Were they black?
    95% of the time the people looking for cash were black, yeah.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Were they black?

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2017/loldu7.gif I'd just say drugs then.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Were they black?

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2017/loldu7.gif I'd just say drugs then.
    cause only black people use crack and meth.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast