BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

PS3 too much money? Blame inflation

Well it's bad quality, but its pretty interesting nonetheless, and still legible. I was only going to post the chart but you can actually read a little bit of the page too.

This is from the newest Gameinformer that i get in the mail for whatever reason, i dont subscribe so whatever. It shows the launch prices of almost every console ever made, and compares them all with a Bar graph to consoles today.

PS3 $600 omg its so much! Actually its pretty near the average lol. Wii is still cheap, $600 is still alot of money, but being $600 isn't really that bad or that unusual. It's actually a pretty fair price. But its still alot, and still causing me to wait until well after christmas to buy one.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ee/Picture.jpg

Credit - GAMEINFORMER Issue#162

The graph also shows that most of the consoles that flopped, are the highest priced ones.

No way I'm staring 1/2 an inch away from my screen to read that article though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Actually, its not anywhere near the average... the average is around 468.

Also, the average doesn't mean shit.. the median is whats imporant. The PS3 is fucking expensive.

Also, notice most the systems which sold at above 500 (adjusted for inflation) have been failures.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

take inflattion out, release the ps3 in an earlier time, you have a 300-400$ machine. lol.

I didnt mean for people to read the article, it was just easier to post the entire image. It is legible if someone wanted to read certain things on the page though.

Anyway, about the average price. I didnt think people would sit down and do math and really get in to that, i thought it woulda been kinda pointless for them to do. I did use the wrong word though, what i meant by average was; The price form the PS3 is a usual, common price. You're pretty much dishing out the same % of your salary for one as you have been for other things.

The graph also shows that most of the consoles that flopped, are the highest priced ones.
    very good point, i didnt even think that.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

sorry but

PS3 20G price = $499

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee
    Actually its pretty near the average lol.
    499-468=31... 31 single dollar bills away from the average (going by your numbers)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

sorry but

PS3 20G price = $499

Actually its pretty near the average lol.
    499-468=31... 31 single dollar bills away from the average (going by your numbers)
    Ahh couldn't figure out what the blur was... is the only difference between the PS3 the hd size...?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

statistically speaking that chart has outliers that throw off the mean (average). so you cant just take the average and get an accurate read out. its like having 7 things that are 100 and 2 that are 1000, your average is way off. you need to look at standard deviation to see if the data is even accurate.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

No HDMI, 20G HDD, and no cool metal stripe down the front (to tell them apart but not much different looking)

Thats the only difference i think? Not sure.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen

Ahh couldn't figure out what the blur was... is the only difference between the PS3 the hd size...?
    No, the lower model is missing a lot of stuff, HighDef support is the only thing I can think of atm.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Dreamcast was one of the major flop and it was cheap. After the first generation, I think marketing has more to do with the flop than the cost (not saying cost doesnt have any impact, especially when not accompagnied with proper marketing, but I don't think it's the first factor).

I also disagree with the initial statement that say the cost is about the same if you consider inflation. Price of computer/electronical things versus their performance went down by a lot over the last 20 years. Console technology isn't that far from a PC, but their cost keep getting closer and closer

http://www.thewarforge.com/uploaded/...8715689034.jpg

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xiona
    statistically speaking that chart has outliers that throw off the mean (average). so you cant just take the average and get an accurate read out. its like having 7 things that are 100 and 2 that are 1000, your average is way off. you need to look at standard deviation to see if the data is even accurate.
    To support this, removing 3DO and NeoGeo (both total flops anyway) drops the average to a little over $300. That would make the full PS3 nearly double.

Removing the systems that totally flopped altogether leaves an average of $337. The cheap PS3 is $163 over that, nearly 50% higher than the average cost after inflation of a successful system.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

take out the blu ray dvd crap and you have a sellable system

The most powerful computer EVER!?

lol at that graph up top too, I'm glad the Wii is still cheaper then the PS3

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Soooo, adjusted for inflation, ps3 is still the highest priced "popular" console ever? Its not inflation, its just plain expensive. Only ones more expensive than the big HD PS3 after inflation are 3DO, Neo Geo, Intellivision, and Atari VCS.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

If your gonna pay for a HD TV in the first place, I dont really think you care about paying $100-200 for a good looking system.

Banned.

BG Level

Stuff should only go down in average price as it becomes more mainstream, not increase. There is a reason I have 5 TVs, where is the inflation in that?

Xavier

ROFL at the Neo-geo being 1,000 dollars.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yeah i found most of the chart pretty funny. But i also slapped myself at the price of some of them (nes snes sega) i forgot they cost so much... Those were usually things i played at a friends house and later got, or ended up getting for christmas/birthday.

And BRP has a good point. I have 2 PC's in my room, and a total of 5 in my house that are being used... they follow the same principle. Most things mainstream slowloy go down, but it seems with gaming things go up. Look at handhelds even. I dont thinkthe black and white Gameboy was 130$ was it? How much was Gamegear, that had to be more... that thing owned... Shit i still have it.

How much was Gamegear, that had to be more... that thing owned... Shit i still have it.
    Fuck Gamegear, I have one, 6 AA batteries just to play Ecco the Dolphin.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    If your gonna pay for a HD TV in the first place, I dont really think you care about paying $100-200 for a good looking system.
    Finally we have a winner.

If you buy a Ferrai, you are not gonna bitch about the insurance prices.

Same fucking thing, you are paying for performace and a brand name. Mainly a brand name.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast