Thread: Charm chain     submit to reddit submit to twitter

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Charm chain

I'm sure we all know by now how Colibris work, you load them up and then charm/release them onto suspecting people.

So today I was unlocking solsovly's latent, it wore, before we left I said I wanted to kill him on colibris and off we went. What we discovered was charmed players will stay charm, if you charmed the master mob.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7...charmedta8.jpg

What's weird is when you're charmed, you're under the bird's control 100%. If your bird attacks another mob (since it's also charmed) , you assist it, but that doesnt always mean you can attack.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...claimedor6.jpg

However if you're in the same party as the charmer, you're free to do as you, err, the bird wishes.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5641/twopetszc7.jpg

And the beastmaster has 2 pets, 1 Bird, and 1 PC, who is the bird's pet. It was hilarious when he mischarmed and I nearly killed him

Useless info, not sure if it's old or not, but very new to me that a charmed PC doesnt uncharm when the master pet is charmed. Technically you can cause a giant charm chain, but the charm doesnt last long enough for you to do that efficiently.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Rofl that's hysterical.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

So thats the cheap way to get a relic weapon

congrats solsovly on mandau! lol!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Haha, that's pretty cool. Too bad though that the charm is so short. Otherwise you could have a Colibri + PC vs. Colibri + PC deathmatch.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp
    Colibri + PC vs. Colibri + PC deathmatch.
    Best idea in awhile.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Can extend your playtime with a BST doing the recharm (obviously need BRD initially).

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeny
    Can extend your playtime with a BST doing the recharm (obviously need BRD initially).
    Won't the colibri cast Virelai wear off before the beastmaster's charm does?

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeny
    Solsovly was BRD/BST (he has both @ 75) , his charm on the colibri has no effect on how long the colibri's virelai lasted on me. It resisted him occasionally due to his high chr, i should try it as a low chr / -light resist and see how long we can milk it for.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Brennon
    So thats the cheap way to get a relic weapon

I give my NPCs Crimson, Zenith, AF2, and Relic. I'm not sure if using the Virelai instrument will extend the length of a colibri virelai but we can test it out if I can borrow the isntrument from someone.

edit: forgot to mention one thing. When the colibri virelai'd wafik and I mischarmed the colibri. I horde lullabied the colibri thinking the AOE would sleep Wafik. The spell didn't hit him at all. I'm not sure if can attack a player that is charmed and whose master is charmed.

Old Merits
    BG Level

So if you went as bard and bst, you could load the bird up with virelai, charm -> release. Then have the bard or someone else aggro the bird to be charmed while the bst charms and two-hours for 2x pets for 30min !

I wonder if you get an exp penalty for your pet's pet... Imagine the spider web farming you could do with a pet wafik !!!

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    Quote Originally Posted by Brennon
    So thats the cheap way to get a relic weapon :P

I give my NPCs Crimson, Zenith, AF2, and Relic. I'm not sure if using the Virelai instrument will extend the length of a colibri virelai but we can test it out if I can borrow the isntrument from someone.

edit: forgot to mention one thing. When the colibri virelai'd wafik and I mischarmed the colibri. I horde lullabied the colibri thinking the AOE would sleep Wafik. The spell didn't hit him at all. I'm not sure if can attack a player that is charmed and whose master is charmed.
    AoEs dont work right with charmed people ;/ I was farming yovra organs with some ls people once when I learned this. Yovra charms, I horde lullaby the mob itself thinking it would hit the ninja. It doesn't ._.; so he comes over and tears me apart (ninjas are so scary to me now; ; like a freaking bladed machine gun of death, katana everywhere). I think charmed players count as their own 'party' when it comes to AoE spells at least, as I've had similar failures trying to horde lullaby player trains in dynamis sandy and glacier (DONT MELEE ORC NMS PLEAS- oh gdi too late; ;)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by epigram
    So if you went as bard and bst, you could load the bird up with virelai, charm -> release. Then have the bard or someone else aggro the bird to be charmed while the bst charms and two-hours for 2x pets for 30min !

I wonder if you get an exp penalty for your pet's pet... Imagine the spider web farming you could do with a pet wafik !!!
    lol

not like mandau is used for anything else anyway.

Is Song still doing the whole Farm Spiders because I have a relic fad?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by epigram

The colibri's virelai wears off well before charm does. If it didn't the possibility to ambush people xp'ing on colibri's would be amazing. I tried to MPK wafik by making him attack some Marids but virelai doesn't last nearly long enough.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thats a win without a doubt. Thanks for the laugh, Wafik.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

SE needs to give Colibri something about as valuable as tree cuttings, so RMT will be tempted to farm them like they do 24/7 in zitah. Then you can just load up some Colibri with Virelai, wait until it charms an RMT, then kill him fast.

Out of curiosity, if Wafik had gone /Bst could you have added another pet to the chain?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think when you are charmed by a mob, any pets disappear (wyvern, automaton, avatar, pet).

Apparently, being charmed by a player doesn't cause the mob's pet to disappear. We've just never seen it before because the only mobs that can charm are uncharmable themselves (i.e. beastmen or NMs).

However, it would be interesting to see someone with a charmed colibri+player pet get charmed themselves (by having someone else load a colibri with virelai, then the person with the pets aggroing it), to see if the other player loses their charm or simply disappears.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    I think when you are charmed by a mob, any pets disappear (wyvern, automaton, avatar, pet).

Apparently, being charmed by a player doesn't cause the mob's pet to disappear. We've just never seen it before because the only mobs that can charm are uncharmable themselves (i.e. beastmen or NMs).

However, it would be interesting to see someone with a charmed colibri+player pet get charmed themselves (by having someone else load a colibri with virelai, then the person with the pets aggroing it), to see if the other player loses their charm or simply disappears.
    Just don't make Wafik disappear

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Cylo
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

Just don't make Wafik disappear
    I'd give a paycheck to hear a GM explain that one.

"I despawned, can you recreate my character?"

"No."

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Out of curiosity, if Wafik had gone /Bst could you have added another pet to the chain?
    I think your pets get released if you yourself get charmed. I've seen it in beauc/sandy when people get curious and wonder why we're only letting ranged people attack the NMs.