+ Reply to Thread

Interesting read about MMOs

MMO Article

Like I said, it's a very interesting read. I disagree with a great deal in the article, but I only have experience playing FFXI. For example:

In online games, players are not obligated to play; joins and quits are not significant events.

As all of the regulars on this board know, the above statement is rarely true. If anything, I think the article undermines how significant MMOs are in my people's lives.

Thoughts?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

It seems like this person did research on games, and doesn't play them. This article would be good for parents to read who are interested in what is keeping their 13 year old up at night, but, to me, it's just blah.

I am a tall girl IRL, not the prettiest, average face, average body and worst of all 41 by now and without a job because I am permanently disabled. Sure I have a nice house, a really nice spouse, two great dogs and great friends - but there’s something missing. No vacations, no car, no parties (or not very much and with the cheap dip only).

But in Second Life… I am a glamorous model, semi-intellectual, extremely desireable and in a passionate, rather perverse relationship with another whore. I have been labelled a “celebrity” several times today. I make stuff, am free to walk in the most extreme places, break the rules all the time and do shocking things, most of which would be illegal if done in the real world.

And i have love ! The most idioticly perfect, passionate kind.
    I don't know, that just made me laugh for some reason. I'm glad she's able to get out of the mentality her life is shitty through Second Life, but, at the same time it's kinda sad.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

I don't know, that just made me laugh for some reason. I'm glad she's able to get out of the mentality her life is shitty through Second Life, but, at the same time it's kinda sad.
    Voila, the reason why MMOs are so attractive to a segment of the population. People's lives are boring and unfulfilling, so they turn to a place where they can feel excitement and fulfillment. I could explain the popularity of Myspace and Facebook in approximately the same way.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Paul is a dork.

Ryko is a... dork with a ridill!

I think we know who wins here. I like when people look at me funny when I use the "it's just a game" line as if I'd be the last type of person to realize it.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

Rarely are players overly serious about game matters.
    Hah.

lolsash

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Someone email him screenshots of Fafhogg drama, he'll probably end up rewriting his article.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Sounds like more Second Life stealth-PR. I've read a few articles on MMOs, and any one of them that mentions Second Life is always way off base.

The Mood is Playful: The general mood of a third place is playful and witty. Players in online games crack jokes during heated battles, perform goofy actions with their avatars, and mock each others’ appearances. Rarely are players overly serious about game matters.
    Hmmm, k.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey
    The Mood is Playful: The general mood of a third place is playful and witty. Players in online games crack jokes during heated battles, perform goofy actions with their avatars, and mock each others’ appearances. Rarely are players overly serious about game matters.
    Hmmm, k.

Someone needs to buy him FFXI, let him level a toon to 75, with a dalm and stuff (winning it on his first day in his HNMLS would be awesome), then have him RMT it days later.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

I remember hearing many a story about Lineage 2 "real life PK"s.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    is that the one where he killed his brother, b/c he stole some item(in game)?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Hmmm, k.
    the hardcore crowd does not make up the majority of a games population (with the exception of certain games like the grindfests)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Brien
    I never heard of that, but I did hear about how some guy in China "borrowed" a friends uber-sword (Dragon Sabre), and then sold it on Ebay. The guy flipped his lid, and drove to the guys house where they he started yelling at the guy. The guy freaked out and offered to give homey the money he got for the sword, but the guy stabbed and killed him. Over a virtual sword.

Edited to correct stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    Quote Originally Posted by Brien
    I never heard of that, but I did hear about how some guy in China "borrowed" a friends uber-sword (Dragon Sabre), and then sold it on Ebay. The guy flipped his lid, and drove to the guys house where they he started yelling at the guy. The guy freaked out and offered to give homey the money he got for the sword, but the guy stabbed and killed him. Over a virtual sword.
    Should really have to take some kind of test to play an mmo >.> God wtf lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Hmmm, k.

Someone needs to buy him FFXI, let him level a toon to 75, with a dalm and stuff (winning it on his first day in his HNMLS would be awesome), then have him RMT it days later.
    It also sounds like whoever wrote the thing didn't spend a lot of time within SL. SL is just a graphical MUD/MUCK and after years on those, there's enough scary and sick drama that crosses into RL to make your head spin.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut