Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Gran Turismo HD - May cost you more than you think...

http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_So...Cars_2045.html
    Sony's release plan for Gran Turismo HD might seem a little bewildering at first. After all, shipping a game with no cars or traks sounds ridiculous. Then again, Sony's plan has its catch, which involves seriously milking future PlayStation 3 owners.

Grand Turismo HD will ship in two different versions. The first one, dubbed Gran Turismo HD: Premium, will be the single player version and will include 30 cars and 2 tracks. The second, Gran Turismo HD: Classic, will include not even one such element, leaving players with the choice of purchasing online all the cars and tracks they desire.

Gran Turismo HD: Classic owners will have to choose between 750 cars, priced $0.50-$1.00 each, and 50 tracks ($1.50-$4.50 each).

At present time, such release plans are only for the Japanese market.

Should one stay and add it all up, the game might end up costing around $500 and $1000. And to think people still complain that $60 is too much for a next-gen game...
    If they're setting up Gran Turismo to be "Expandable" like this, then other games will be too. It would be interesting to think of the possibilities of continually updating games but fucking scary to imagine that on top of the $600 console, games with full content could be equally as much.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Is Sony intentially trying to lose business?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Well, they will probably get some hardcore fans, but lose a lot of casual gamers. Not really sure if the few hardcore fans will keep the PS3 selling though.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Gran Turismo started sucking around 3. Good to know they're continuing to trash what was once the most promising racing franchise ever.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAAAACER

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    Gran Turismo started sucking around 3. Good to know they're continuing to trash what was once the most promising racing franchise ever.
    Yeah I didn't like the whole mode in GT4 that let you just simulate the race and not actually race it. You didn't even have to play the game and you could win races as long as your car was powerful enough. I am not going to buy the next GT for sure. FFXII has a gambit system when you program the AI for all your party members, you can basically sit back and watch them beat the entire game. It makes the game like watching a movie with very little to no interaction needed from the player. Shit like that and the crap in GT4 are really weak ass trends in gaming.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Actually the gambit system in FFXII is not quite the 'watch the game happen' button penny-arcade thinks it is.

Frankly I rarely use it, and play the game more 'baldur's gate' style, by using the menu-pause feature during actions to queue up the next one.

The only time I really lean on the gambit system is when a boss does a 'lol you're all at 1HP' move and I need to auto-trigger rapid heal abilities and potions to keep everyone from dying.

I like the gambit system.

Old Merits
    BG Level

It can be depending on how you use it, someone can still use it to basically go through the entire game. It is their choice. Still if you do that at 1HP its a crutch you use in critical situations. I would rather have full control in a FF game. From what I understand you comparing it to Baldur's Gate makes it sound a shitload like Knights of the Old Republic. Playing the game like that isn't bad, but leaning on AI to do the dirty work in a FF game is lame imo. I might not use the gambit system at all.

The thing in GT4 though was far cheesier and ruined the franchise for me when I found out that was possible. That kind of feature shouldn't be in a game period.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Honestly the reason I didn't use the gambit system is because it's too clumsy to really 'play the game' with any efficiency. There are no overrides or combinable actions, the AI dumbly moves down a list of if > then statements and puts whatever is first as the priority. So if you have

1) Monster in front of you => Attack
    2) Party Member's HP < 30% => Cure

Then no matter what, that Cure will not go off until there are no more monsters to fight. What you have to do (and what the game has set up by default for some characters) is

1) Party Member's HP < 30% => Cure
    2) Monster in front of you => Attack

if you want any mid-battle curing to trigger via Gambits. But then you have party member stopping while you run from battle to battle to cure other members and that slows shit down a lot. Hence the 'emergency only' setup of my gambits.

It boils down to a lot of gambits being kind of useless. I think I use exactly 3 where I'm at in the game (Party Member < 10% => Hi Potion, Silenced => Echo Drop and for farming purposes Monster at 100% HP => Steal) because I hate having to shuffle around priorities with the gambit system.

Someone who actually wants the game played for them via Gambit is not going to get far in FFXII.

Oops, derailed.

Oh well Gran Turismo sucks anyway.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

my only gripe with 4 was that stupid license test on the fricking ring

-_-

I'm not really sure what sony was thinking with that, maybe it something people in japan want but i dunno. Grand Turismo 5 from what I understand is suppose to be a normal game but who knows what they will come up with.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Well if you need to buy 750 cars and nine thousand tracks just to enjoy Gran Turismo then you have issues.

I'd buy the 5 cars I like and a few tracks and be happy with it.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

There was a tv show once about hardcore GT fans... the ones that bought GT2 and the racing wheel's and such.

One guy said there was this car in game he loved so much, he went out and bought it irl. And the modifications he did to it in game, he did to it irl. The same turbo kits and whatnot. He said it drove just like it does in the game. I guess GT is actually meant to be a real driving experience, and 4 will push that to the max. I'm sure if sony is doing this, they will lose casual players that dont want to spend money, but the loyal fans like the one i mentioned will be adoring sony... and so will car companies.

I take back my statement this sounds bad but when you really think about it, its not. We paided $50 for FFXI and $13 a month. This isn't any different except its a racing game and you pay for cars and tracks. Also this article is the most bias PS3 hating article in history.

THIS IS THE REAL ARTICLE

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733728p1.html

This is actually not as bad as it sounds sure if you buy everything you will pay a boat load of money but who is going to do that. Now casual gamers can enjoy the game without the bullshit license testing and crap. If you read the full article I have posted you will see this game hold 2 modes, sony using this game to keep people busy till GT5 comes out. As long as they keep it updated and cost low I dont see a problem.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstriker
    I take back my statement this sounds bad but when you really think about it, its not. We paided $50 for FFXI and $13 a month. This isn't any different except its a racing game and you pay for cars and tracks. Also this article is the most bias PS3 hating article in history.

THIS IS THE REAL ARTICLE

This is actually not as bad as it sounds sure if you buy everything you will pay a boat load of money but who is going to do that. Now casual gamers can enjoy the game without the bullshit license testing and crap. If you read the full article I have posted you will see this game hold 2 modes, sony using this game to keep people busy till GT5 comes out. As long as they keep it updated and cost low I dont see a problem.
    This might be acceptable if it were the first online racing game to reach the console market.

Except it isn't. The XBox360 has had it for a long time now and they don't charge you for cars and tracks.

A serious racing game enthusiast trying to choose between what Microsoft versus Sony have to offer would be a fool to take Sony's offer. By the time you're done paying for your PS3/copy of the game/stable of cars and a full selection of tracks (honestly who would not buy every single track) you find yourself about a grand in the hole, versus the more gaming/dollar that can be had by some online PGR3 action.

Realism isn't everything.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I dunno.. I just bought a 2k$ HDTV, 1k$ in A/V equipment and got a 1k$ PS3 from ebay.. Hell! 600$ for one game? thats a deal.

THIS IS THE REAL ARTICLE

This might be acceptable if it were the first online racing game to reach the console market.

Except it isn't. The XBox360 has had it for a long time now and they don't charge you for cars and tracks.

A serious racing game enthusiast trying to choose between what Microsoft versus Sony have to offer would be a fool to take Sony's offer. By the time you're done paying for your PS3/copy of the game/stable of cars and a full selection of tracks (honestly who would not buy every single track) you find yourself about a grand in the hole, versus the more gaming/dollar that can be had by some online PGR3 action.

Realism isn't everything.
    Except Xbox charges you for online service Sony doesn't, your right though realism isn't everything but isn't that why people buy Gran Turismo? Because its the most realistic racing game ever created or at least thats the reason people say. Like I said before this is just to hold you until Gran Turismo 5 comes out. You can always play the 1st mode where you dont have to pay for anything. Also if you read the article you will learn this is only coming out in Japan so they must have interest in it because Xbox 360 doesn't sell well in Japan.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

stuff
    Except Xbox charges you for online service Sony doesn't, your right though realism isn't everything but isn't that why people buy Gran Turismo? Because its the most realistic racing game ever created or at least thats the reason people say. Like I said before this is just to hold you until Gran Turismo 5 comes out. You can always play the 1st mode where you dont have to pay for anything. Also if you read the article you will learn this is only coming out in Japan so they must have interest in it because Xbox 360 doesn't sell well in Japan.
    Highlighting the part of your own quote I want you to read because it's what I was responding to.

Give a casual gamer the choice between paying for the system, the copy of the software AND get cut to death by the 'micropayment' system Polyphony is setting up or the existing, 'play now' option that you get with the XBox360 and PGR3 and guess which one they'll dive into, given how good Live is.

This is a pricing model best suited for a video arcade (Virtua Fighter Online, etc) where you pay in small amounts for a persistent gaming experience.

I don't want a game chewing away at my wallet for every incremental improvement they offer. FFXI doesn't charge me 20 bucks every time a ridill drops, and I'm not paying 20 bucks when I get tired of playing with the base of cars I already have in a racing game to race them on the same tracks all over again.

There's not as big a line anymore between this subscription racing game model and making a down payment on an actual car anymore. Gran Turismo is skirting that and it's a slap in the face.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

More what I was concerned about is that by offering this for Gran Turismo at launch (even if it's JP only to start) that the system would be in place for all future game manufacturers to do the same.

Using the GT as a micro example, what if the part where you buy the tracks/cars was connected to an online gameplay? What if they sold upgrades to the cars as well using the same system? I see this as an equal potential of being "Expandable Content" as "Person with the most RL money wins". Knowing the latter to be more and more true with every gilseller in FFXI (and I'd assume goldsellers in WoW) there are people who will spend a lot of money to be better than you. And honestly I couldn't blame the manufacturers for doing it that way because they can make a ton of money selling e-peen for $1 per digital part.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

The real sad thing about this is that... if it's really gonna be this way.... a lot of people will still spend all their money on it stupidly.