+ Reply to Thread
    Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

why do the controls on console game suck so much?

Before you say, Oh, it's because you're used to playing on the PC so you're not going to feel comfortable etc.

That's not the issue. The issue isn't the control or it's design but the games and the developers that create them. I am left handed. I usually use a southpaw configuration. I aim with my left hand, and move with my right hand. This is important for first person shooters, at least for me

Halo 1 and 2 did a great job by allowing you to configure the way you control master chief but games like Battlefield: Modern Combat don't allow this.. why? It's total BS! It's also not just on the xbox but games like mercenaries for the PS2...

Another issue would also be the demo's they release for whatever system. ALL of them are ment for right handed people WTF! I think the only demo that allowed you to change the config was Quake 4.

Anyone else who is left handed have this issue?

/midnight rant end

I'm left handed but I do just fine as long as I can set it so it's inverted.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by macbain24
    I'm left handed but I do just fine as long as I can set it so it's inverted.
    Unless it's a flight sim, I can't invert it.

Really? Most games I play you can almost always invert it, or at least most FPS games.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by macbain24
    Really? Most games I play you can almost always invert it, or at least most FPS games.
    What i mean is that unless it's a flight sim, there is no way that I can play inverted because I'm not used to it.

Xavier

I can't play inverted either, and I'm left handed.

All my right handed friends play inverted though.

its cheaper to not have to code in controls for lefties since there arent as many lefties as righties they can just not do it.

also Im right handed and I hate inverted except for flight sims, dunno why flight sims are more comfortable inverted. I mean I know planes are default that way with the stick you pull back to go up and all that but ive never flown a plane so why would that be more comfortable?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Remy0
    its cheaper to not have to code in controls for lefties since there arent as many lefties as righties they can just not do it.
    I find that hard to believe :/

cheaper as in not paying people to do it and then subsequent people to test it. Use old control codes that are already known to work for most people and you ship the game earlier.

Not sure about there not being as many lefties playing than righties, I mean just look at the Zelda thread, like everybody posting in there is left handed. I'm a lefty too

statistically speaking a majority of people in the world are right handed.

Yea I know, lol. Just seeing all of the lefties here, and considering there's a whole lot more out there too, why not make a control system to make it more comfortable?

FFXI phenomena that lefties congregate here.

My theories on it are theyd rather not spend the money on it since people will play anyway, or none of you weirdos have sent them mail about it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Someone should make a poll, I'm curious to see the ratio on this board.

I'm left handed, but I've no trouble with my right hand when it come to use stuff like a controller. When something involve both hands (keyboard, guitar, controler...etc), I see no reason to reverse the thing. It usually end up causing more trouble (lol at left handed's guitar)

Many people seem to think there is no way to develop your wrong hand, but ambidexterity can be delovepped through practice. It's true learning curve isn't the same for both hand, but there is a difference between slow learning curve and not doable.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The controls don't suck. You just got the short end of the stick.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm a lefty and I always invert the y axis. Otherwise it's fucking unplayable.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

and statistically speaking, left handed people are smarter than right handed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    and statistically speaking, left handed people are smarter than right handed people.
    and die at a much earlier age.

Statistics are fun to mess around with!

(left handed, no problems with console controls, though I am primarily a console player)

Quote Originally Posted by edgarfigaro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    and die at a much earlier age.
    That's only because we party harder! >.>