+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

The underrated (but shouldn't be) music thread

Recently, I've been noticing the trend of the smaller bands having a lot more cathcy and enjoyable music. For most of these bands, you'll find that most or a very few people have heard of them.

So share with me your favorite small band music.

Two that have caught my attention recently are:

Muse (although very popular on these forums, are virtually unheard of in many places)

OK go (Recently popularized by their internet escapade and small apperances on TV shows, but still relatively unknown)

Name some of their good songs and provide a Youtube vid if you can too. I need some new stuff to listen to in the car.

the band I used to name my account ( Remy Zero) is very good imo. Somewhat of a known band but I still find alot of people have never heard them. They did the theme song for Smallville, they started in 1989 in Alabama and had their first major record in 1996, split in 2003, but are reforming as of August.

My favorite CD from them: The Golden Hum
    My fav song by them( not on the above CD): Twister

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Songs are extremely long (like 20minute songs), very instrumental movie-soundtrack sounding, usually no vocals. Can be rather epic at times. One of my favorite "bands" but also the one that no one has really heard of.

I recommend the album Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

The Tokyo Smash

http://www.purevolume.com/thetokyosmash

they broke up awhile ago but they're still good.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One my favorite "smaller" bands is Maktub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maktub).

Rock/Hip-Hop/Funk/etc kind of band, and their lead singer has PIPES.

They have 3 albums out at this point, most recent out about a year ago.

Their 2nd album "Khronos" is my favorite (out in 2003), and the songs "Just Like Murder" and "Give Me Some Time" of that album are both excellent.

I didn't have any luck digging up any videos on Youtube, but they have videos of a live performance and a Music vid of "Just Like Murder" on their website, takes Realplayer or Quicktime though

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Protest The Hero

Damone

The Precious

Just three off the top of my head.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yay for Muse :D

My contributions...

The Decemberists ( well, they used to be small, their latest album "Picaresque" has seen more fame )

The Raconteurs

Lovedrug

and... Built to Spill

I think all those bands have flash players on their websites so you can listen to the songs.

I don't keep up on MTV or "popular" music radio, so maybe these bands are more well-known then I realize >.>; Anyway thats what I've been listening to lately... all very good stuff :D

Edit: Is anybody else here a fan of the new Thom Yorke solo album? I know Radiohead isn't "unheard-of" by any stretch of the imagination, but I haven't seen "The Eraser" making any major headlines... but then again I don't pay attention to TV or radio, so I could be way off base.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko

Songs are extremely long (like 20minute songs), very instrumental movie-soundtrack sounding, usually no vocals. Can be rather epic at times. One of my favorite "bands" but also the one that no one has really heard of.

Wins the fucking thread.

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba

Great bands that broke up include Remy Zero (saw them open for Travis, wow),
    They reformed and are working on new stuff. im not sure if Spartan Fidelity, the band the lead singer and his brother started after they broke, is going to continue.

they havent updated their website since the break up. They do have an official myspace site they use now. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=97373060

the story from their blog:
    It happened on a whim...

...and it was good. Cinjun played a solo show at The Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles, and Jeff and Cedric joined him in the end to perform a new song - 'Anger' - and 'Hermes Bird'.

Zach Braff had something to do with it too, putting Prophecy on the last kiss soundtrack sparked something i guess.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Shade Empire http://www.shadeempire.com

Melodic Black Metal at its best.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya

Wins the fucking thread.
    QFT also if you like this... Check out Explosions in the Sky or Sigur Ros currently on my lvl whm cause im bored and chill out and try not to kill the n00b party members playlist (all three bands)

edit: btw i absolutely LOVE that Godspeed album i need to actually buy it>.>;;

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon

Wins the fucking thread.
    QFT also if you like this... Check out Explosions in the Sky or Sigur Ros currently on my lvl whm cause im bored and chill out and try not to kill the n00b party members playlist (all three bands)

edit: btw i absolutely LOVE that Godspeed album i need to actually buy it>.>;;
    EitS is much much better than GY!BE. I also really like A Silver Mt. Zion.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

EitS is on an entirely different plane of existance from we mere mortals, which is why I did not mention it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I guess my expectations were too high for hoping this wouldn't turn into a "___ is better than ___" thread. Usually why I avoid music discussions as a whole.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I guess my expectations were too high for hoping this wouldn't turn into a "___ is better than ___" thread. Usually why I avoid music discussions as a whole.
    Everything I listen to is better than anything you listen to.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Wins the fucking thread.
    Best atmosphere band ever.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Metric and Controller.Controller are two great Canadian bands that don't get much (if any) US airplay. Metric's really comming up though and with a world tour this fall should get more popular in the US. Kind of indie rock, alt-wave it's a funky band that deserves acclaim. Unfortunatly, Metric's singer/keyboard player Emily Haynes is doing a solo project soon a la Gwen Stefani.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Wins the fucking thread.
    I agree, also a band in this genre, Mogwai is fucking great and unknown

also you can't forget Broken Social Scene

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Who's the best Guitarist of all time?

David Gilmour

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast