+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Daily Show 09-26-06     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

The Daily Show 09-26-06

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

For those of you who missed the Daily Show last night, you missed a really interesting interview. It was the first time the show had ever had a guest that was the active head of a country.

I didn't expect the interview to be what it would be, but i thought it was pretty interesting to get a firsthand and open look from the president of Pakistan, to see for his point of view how things in the Middle East were unfolding and progressing.

It made you realize how difficult it must be to be in his position right now, being pressured by both the United States and his own citizens. I respect the man because he has been able to be successful and functional while basically being situated in a no-man's land.

I think I'm going to pick up his memoirs and read them.

Is it not kind of sad that the Daily Show has to be the forum of choice for an empathetic look into this kind of person? I mean I love the Daily Show as much as anyone, I watch it whenever I can, but its sad that there is no real news organization who says this is worthwhile.

Anyways, I saw the interview and it was great. Just the right amount of humor, just the right amount of good interviewing. God that show is good.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The Daily Show has a vastly different agenda from the rest of interview-centric television: comedy.

And only the best comedians can really open your eyes, making it quite possibly the world's best interview platform ever. Of course, if it had to go on for hours rather than minutes and get edited down like most televised interviews, we might get what we see on 20/20, 60 minutes, etc. but for now I'm pretty happy when stuff like this happens.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    The Daily Show has a vastly different agenda from the rest of interview-centric television: comedy.

And only the best comedians can really open your eyes, making it quite possibly the world's best interview platform ever. Of course, if it had to go on for hours rather than minutes and get edited down like most televised interviews, we might get what we see on 20/20, 60 minutes, etc. but for now I'm pretty happy when stuff like this happens.
    I don't know about you, but I laugh a lot when I see Katie Couric interview people.

Was very interesting. I interrupted my FFXI playing to watch this interview.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Very interesting interview. Not surprized he didn't make more jokes since its a more serious interview but it was still funny sometimes.

Hmm, his memoirs look really interesting, I need to pick them up sometime.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Is it not kind of sad that the Daily Show has to be the forum of choice for an empathetic look into this kind of person? I mean I love the Daily Show as much as anyone, I watch it whenever I can, but its sad that there is no real news organization who says this is worthwhile.
    I couldnt agree with you more Maxx. It's really sad that it takes a "fake news show" to be an open platform to someone like him... something that "real news shows" are supposed to be doing.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Anyways, I saw the interview and it was great. Just the right amount of humor, just the right amount of good interviewing. God that show is good.
    not really, he was on 60 Minutes this past Sunday.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Quote Originally Posted by Correction

I don't know about you, but I laugh a lot when I see Katie Couric interview people.
    Sept, did you see him showing the interview with Fox News and Bill Clinton vs. Katie Couric and Condie Rice? It was histerical.

To Clinton: "Why didn't you do more to stop terrorism?"

To Rice: "It sure must be hard getting dates in your position, how do you even introduce yourself in a position like yours?"

And to the other questions, its not so much that other news organizations don't find it news worthy, its that they all have agendas to play out, while a show like the Daily Show pretty much delivers reliable news. Half the comedy of the show comes from how ridiculous our country actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan

not really, he was on 60 Minutes this past Sunday.
    Key word empathetic.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Hey wait a week to go get the guy who blew up two towers in your nation's biggest city, the pentagon, and killed thousands of your citizens (civillians in a non-combat role). You can't fly over our country to go get Osama, gotta wait a week to apprehend him. Obviously that week gives him more than enough time to GTFO. That is what happened basically.

I am sure it was hard for him leading a nation that has a good amount of US haters to allow us to fly over their country to attempt to apprehend the guy who claims responsibility for 9/11. Not to mention taking out the Taliban as well. Pakistan and India hate each other, this would be a problematic issue in his government as well. Especially since both countries have nukes.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Eternus
    I am sure it was hard for him leading a nation that has a good amount of US haters to allow us to fly over their country to attempt to apprehend the guy who claims responsibility for 9/11. Not to mention taking out the Taliban as well. Pakistan and India hate each other, this would be a problematic issue in his government as well. Especially since both countries have nukes.
    According to the interview on the Daily Show, which I guess took things he talked about in his book, the USA basically called him up after 9/11 and said you're either with us, or we bomb you too.

He offered the president of Pakistan a twinkie. God i love you jon stewart.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    According to the interview on the Daily Show, which I guess took things he talked about in his book, the USA basically called him up after 9/11 and said you're either with us, or we bomb you too.
    Of course they did, he refused to let us fly over his country. That was a way to force his hand, after that he said wait a week. We weren't going to pay him to fly over his country to get Osama. Pakistan initially said we couldn't fly over if you remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Of course they did, he refused to let us fly over his country. That was a way to force his hand, after that he said wait a week. We weren't going to pay him to fly over his country to get Osama. Pakistan initially said we couldn't fly over if you remember correctly.
    If I was him I wouldn't have let the US fly over my country Carte Blanche. Many countries over there hate the US, and Pakistan isnt strong enough to piss a lot of them off and stay a healthy, independent nation.

Old Merits
    BG Level

If I was him I wouldn't have let the US fly over my country Carte Blanche. Many countries over there hate the US, and Pakistan isnt strong enough to piss a lot of them off and stay a healthy, independent nation.
    Hence why he said no, then was told why he should let us fly over. We weren't asking him to even show us to Osama, the US was asking him to let us fly over so we can take care of a problem in another nation. The US asked him first if they could fly over. Them saying no was almost akin to helping Osama in that regard. This was the incident that gave him more than ample time to flee. The war in Iraq had not even started when this happened remember? Bringing that up had no bearing on whether he would let the US fly over in the first place.

The US is hated by alot of Muslim nations for supporting the Israeli nation. You know the Israeli nation that Britian basically created. We are hated also for policing the world in some instances also. Some just hate the US for its wealth, power and influence.