Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FFXI, general gaming and laptops

I did a search on laptop and came up with 20 results and nothing really answering any specific questions.

Cutting the the chase... I have some money, I want to spend UP to, preferably less then 1600/1700 for a new laptop. I need this as a prime computer. I would normally get a desktop but I rarely stay in one place anymore. Desktop would be useless to me for the next few years.

So my question is this. Anyone out there with some good advice on a laptop selection? I was hunting for a Dell M1710 XPS but 2k+ just was as little too over budget for me. Im looking for a 17" screen, 2G RAM, 256MB Video card (God id love that XPS's 512 ; dual core processor, 7200RPM 80GB HD, all preferably under warranty. Basically Im looking for a good bang for the buck.

Any advice? Anyone playing XI frequently on their current laptop? One thing I did find under the searches was notebookforums.com and Ill be hunting around there later as well as ebay hunting. Thanks in advance guys

Tekki

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you really need warrenty, some of the laptops on notebookforums.com still come with it and you can transfer it over.

Also, read some information there because dell isn't the only one that makes notebooks capable of playing the latest games etc.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I have a dell inspirion that cost around 14-1600 (cant remember) that I had wow and ffxi installed on and it ran just fine. I like, pimped it out though hahah hope that helps a little ; ;

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Rule of thumb for laptops:

Lightweight/Small
    High Performance
    Low Price

You may only choose 2.

I bought an ultrathin and it can't run FFXI, literally FFXI says "sorry your vid card blows I won't even execute". But at least I feel like I can snap my laptop in half whenever I pack it up to go somewhere. Chalk that one up to the "learning experience" pile.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal

Lightweight/Small
    High Performance
    Low Price

You may only choose 2.

I bought an ultrathin and it can't run FFXI, literally FFXI says "sorry your vid card blows I won't even execute". But at least I feel like I can snap my laptop in half whenever I pack it up to go somewhere. Chalk that one up to the "learning experience" pile.
    Forgot customer service on the list. XD Reason why I love Dell is they have the best customer service out there, something goes wrong they'll know how to fix it, versus compaq who liked to tell me "well it shouldn't do that"

I'm not a computer buff though but my Dell has worked extremely well for me.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I have a dell, and personally i cant stand how slow it is... but... i absolutely love how it NEVER gets bluescreens or crashes or freezes or fucking anything.

I need a new laptop too though, a nice crappy one for under 1k so i can play ff/wow at work

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee
    I have a dell, and personally i cant stand how slow it is... but... i absolutely love how it NEVER gets bluescreens or crashes or freezes or fucking anything.

I need a new laptop too though, a nice crappy one for under 1k so i can play ff/wow at work
    my dell takes FOREVER to start up, but once it stops taking that shit I don't think it's slow at all.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

the pc i built takes a long time to start up lol really dont know why, the dells in my house seem normal.

I should have been more detailed in my post before i apologize. I meant it is slow compared to others, my friends have some pretty quick ones. HP's and whatnot... But still, Dells have a ton less problems then others it seems.

I was hunting for a Dell M1710 XPS but 2k+ just was as little too over budget for me.
    You should just RMT those gaiters in your sig and pay the extra three or four hundred dollars.

Ridill
    BG Level

I use an HP, it's coming near the end of its 4 year warranty, but up until this point whenever I've had a problem with anything at all they've sent me a new one. Literally.

Their warranty is awesome, I highly recommend it. And I've really had no "abnormal" problems at all.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I really like my MacBook Pro, it's a bit pricey for some but being that I work on Mac 99% of the time (graphic design), it works best for me. If I don't have my PS2 with me for whatever reason (lolhaulingthatbigassthingaround), I can just boot up using bootcamp on Windows XP-- it runs FFXI like a charm, as well as any other windows programs.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Aladwar
    I really like my MacBook Pro, it's a bit pricey for some but being that I work on Mac 99% of the time (graphic design), it works best for me. If I don't have my PS2 with me for whatever reason (lolhaulingthatbigassthingaround), I can just boot up using bootcamp on Windows XP-- it runs FFXI like a charm, as well as any other windows programs.

you're aware that PC owns MAC for gfx design for a while now right? lol

nothing personal but I hate how people say "mac is the best for gfx design so thats why I hate it" etc.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladwar

you're aware that PC owns MAC for gfx design for a while now right? lol

nothing personal but I hate how people say "mac is the best for gfx design so thats why I hate it" etc.
    I have a desktop as well, and I do use it. I didn't mean for that statement to be totally mac-fanboy-esque, as it wasn't intended to be. ;x

I do however, still prefer mac, it's a personal preference I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal

Lightweight/Small
    High Performance
    Low Price

You may only choose 2.
    QFT. I got an HP and it's gigantigos. I hate just carrying it around places under my arm because it's so awkward to hold, and also weighs quite a bit too. But, its got a widescreen, Wi-Fi, and it runs FFXI and WoW at a decent FPS. All for a little over $1200 at Sam's Club.

Before I recently got a new computer, I played FFXI on a Dell Inspiron 5100, which is a 5-6 year old model with a 16 MB ATI Radeon Mobility 1300, 512 MB of RAM, and a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4. LOL Had no problems, even playing in Dynamis other than an occasional PowerPoint moment.

YMMV on WoW or any other game, FFXI is about the only "modern" game that it'll run. I think you honestly could go with an older model that you can get cheaper depending on the games you want to run.

The previous poster is right about only being able to pick two out of the three main selling points of laptops though, the 5100 is a monster in size and gets extremely hot with the desktop P4 in it.

Especially now, finding a high-performance laptop for cheap is going to be an exercise in futility, with all the new processors and options coming out.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Here's a tip.

get a Dell Inspiron loaded with the same stuff that comes on the XPS.

Configure it on the website so you have the details of the upgrades you are purchasing.

got to http://www.bensbargains.net/ look for coupon codes to apply to your build. Get as many coupons as you can find, copy the details.
    If there are no coupons be patient, I kept linking back to the site for two weeks until I found a ton of coupons for the machine i configured.

Then call the sales number.

Hopefully you get a clueless sales rep in Inda. Have them configure the laptop you just configured.

Have them apply each coupn code.

If they are truely clueless they will keep on applying the coupons.

Complain when they say thet a coupon is not valid.

Hopefullly you get to rape dell on the price.

I tricked out my dell to the exact same specs as an XPS and only paid $1,300. Had I gone with the website price I would have paid $2,500

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My rule of thumb when looking at laptop specs: if a laptop doesn't mention what graphics chipset it uses right up front in big letters then chances are it uses some integrated pos that won't run any games. I like Asus laptops myself and have been using an Asus M6BNe for 2.5 years to play ffxi just fine. Lots of computer shops can sell you a barebones Asus (the shell+motherboard) and then install whatever you want in it. You can get only what you want and keep the price low.

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Asus S96J was offered to me @ notebookforum.com

I have an Asus S96J laptop for sale. It has ATI X1600 256MB Graphics and I can put 2GB memory in it for 1300 shipped with XP and COA included. 80GB SATA HDD, Wireless LAN, but...

Core Duo 2.0"
    I also have been looking through Dell Outlet.com and found some decently priced XPSs.

be careful about Dells if you want to run FFXI on them...

Their fans are reaaaaaaaalllllllly loud.

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fans are the least of my concern.