+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Undeletable file....     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Undeletable file....

So when attempting to download an episode of an anime I usually watch, I unwittingly started a torrent for a .exe file instead of a .avi file. I quickly cought the mistake and cancelled the torrent immediately, but the .exe file is on my desktop now.

It cannot be deleted, it cannot be modified. It contains nothing (0KB in length, I open it up in notepad and its blank). When I try to delete it, it says another program is using it. When I try to modify it, the moment I confirm the modifications, the settings on the file go back to the way they were in addition to a shortcut to MS_DOS appearing on my desktop.

I've tried going into safe mode to remove the file, but no luck. It gives me the same error as before, telling me that another file is using it so it cannot be deleted.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to get rid of it?

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Happens to me alot, use GiPo Utilitie's MoveOnBoot, it works like a charm.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If its not deletable after a quick reboot of the PC, you have other problems :x

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    If its not deletable after a quick reboot of the PC, you have other problems
    Which is why I am asking here for advice.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/P ... lorer.html

Download this thing, and run it. When it starts up, go to Find -> Find Handle or DLL. Type a partial name of that .exe file and press enter. Multiple things may show up on the list, but you should be able to identify your .EXE file somewhere. In the leftmost column (Process), that's the name of the process holding onto your file. Open task manager (by right clicking the task bar and hitting Task Manager), then click the Processes tab, find the process with the same name, right click it and choose End Process, then try to delete the file again.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

if you cant delete it in safe mode id be scared>.>;;

do you know much about DOS? >.>

you could also get a linux live CD or a windows PE CD and try to delete it with those... you know the OSes that run from a CD so they dont run from your HD, but you can still access your hard drive and edit/move files on it

edit: also make sure that you shut off your torrent client>.>

New Merits
    BG Level

http://www.killbox.net/

Use the delete on reboot method after determining the full path to the file (shouldn't be too hard if its just on your desktop). If the file still isnt removed there is something seriously wrong with your box.

-Vyzrael (Asura)

Quote Originally Posted by doofy
    http://www.killbox.net/

Use the delete on reboot method after determining the full path to the file (shouldn't be too hard if its just on your desktop). If the file still isnt removed there is something seriously wrong with your box.

-Vyzrael (Asura)
    This works too, but good idea to use teh Process Explorer method mentioned above FIRST, if nothing else so you can figure out what the fuck is doing this to your file, and figuring out if you have a potential virus/trojan.

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/P ... lorer.html

Download this thing, and run it. When it starts up, go to Find -> Find Handle or DLL. Type a partial name of that .exe file and press enter. Multiple things may show up on the list, but you should be able to identify your .EXE file somewhere. In the leftmost column (Process), that's the name of the process holding onto your file. Open task manager (by right clicking the task bar and hitting Task Manager), then click the Processes tab, find the process with the same name, right click it and choose End Process, then try to delete the file again.
    Hmm. Apparently explorer.exe is holding onto the file. Explains a lot, though I still need to find a way to remove it somehow.

Edit: Finally got rid of it. Thank you for the help Divisortheory (and everyone else who gave help of course).