+ Reply to Thread

How game sizes will be reduced by 70%

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showth ... p?t=18791&

Bit-tech.net has a preview up of new technology called Allegorithmic demonstrated at GDC London which promises to reduce texture file sizes by 70%. Don't believe it? Well you will when you download RoboBlitz from Xbox Live Arcade "soon". In case you didn't know, RoboBlitz is a full featured 19 level XBLA title that runs on Unreal Engine 3 and clocks in at under 50MB. The real kicker - the entire texture set for the game totals up to under 300 Kilobytes.
    300 kilobytes. Wow.

This is reminding me of .kkreiger

Old Merits
    BG Level

haha 70% reduction in texture size... things could get pretty sick with that technology. What was the argument with needing the storage of Blu-Ray for games? CG cutscenes?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Its a good thing blu ray has all that extra space amirite

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

I'm not sure if this is the same website but about three years ago I found something very similar to this. I lost the URL a long time ago but they had a test program already up and running. The test file was only under 20KB and was zipped. From what I can remember the test program had huge rooms with funky looking mechanical contraptions and long tunnels that changed colors and shapes inside enormous zones. It was pretty amazing something that detailed could come from a 20KB file.

If I can find it I’ll post it.

EDIT:

Found it and all I can say his holy shit they turned it into a FPS... A 90KB FPS with pretty good graphics might I add... (.kkrieger which the OP mentioned lol) .farbrausch is what I was attempting to describe with my horrible jotted memory.

http://www.theprodukkt.com/

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch
    I'm not sure if this is the same website but about three years ago I found something very similar to this. I lost the URL a long time ago but they had a test program already up and running. The test file was only under 20KB and was zipped. From what I can remember the test program had huge rooms with funky looking mechanical contraptions and long tunnels that changed colors and shapes inside enormous zones. It was pretty amazing something that detailed could come from a 20KB file.

EDIT:

Found it and all I can say his holy shit they turned it into a FPS... A 90KB FPS with pretty good graphics might I add...

I played it 2 years ago and it's seriously impresive. I thought it was a virus at first or a joke.

I doubt current game producers would be happy with procedural texture generation when they have 45+gigs of space on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I doubt current game producers would be happy with procedural texture generation when they have 45+gigs of space on their hands.
    Hi spore.

Hi digital distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Hi spore.

Hi digital distribution.
    Spore is more about procedural world generation (and model generation) than procedural textures. Seriously, do you think the next <insert movie> game will be happy using perlin noise to generate <insert movie star>'s face? Nope.

While it does have its applications -- particularly organic-like surfaces -- I don't think big companies will buy into it.

As far as digital distribution goes, I torrented a 15gb file a few months ago, and it was no problem. Not to mention traditional game publishers are scared to death about digital distribution...

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Hi spore.

Hi digital distribution.
    Spore is more about procedural world generation (and model generation) than procedural textures. Seriously, do you think the next <insert movie> game will be happy using perlin noise to generate <insert movie star>'s face? Nope.

While it does have its applications -- particularly organic-like surfaces -- I don't think big companies will buy into it.

As far as digital distribution goes, I torrented a 15gb file a few months ago, and it was no problem. Not to mention traditional game publishers are scared to death about digital distribution...
    A) You don't have to do all textures by procedural generation. My guess is, in general, human/humanoid creatures will always be normal textures but environments will be procedural.

B) Digital distribution is coming, everybody knows it. Steam is already pretty damned big. If they can cut down on the file size it saves them a ton of money on bandwidth, which translates into more profit. Most companies are not willing to trust torrents for full fledged game distribution, and setting up a pay-to-torrent network would be quite hard I'd imagine.

Bandwidth is dirt cheap and getting cheaper by the day.
    Besides, by far the biggest portion of games today is pre-rendered video and sound clips / music; reducing the on-disc texture budget by 50% (say, all the organic textures) won't make a huge impact on total distribution size.

The only real positive I see is it will save artist time for making shitloads of organic textures...but those are pretty easy to make already, and I don't know how complicated the tool to generate those textures is.

BTW I <3 perlin noise stuff, I've written a bunch of programs that use it for various effects. My favourite is terrain generation. I just don't see it catching on in a big way.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Budd Lite
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch

EDIT:

Found it and all I can say his holy shit they turned it into a FPS... A 90KB FPS with pretty good graphics might I add... (.kkrieger which the OP mentioned lol) .farbrausch is what I was attempting to describe with my horrible jotted memory.

Those guys are awesome. They did a lot of other stuff that wasn't listed on their website, check out Farb-Rausch's demo archive on scene.org.

FR-25: The.Popular.Demo, and Black 2000 are pretty good. They had some others, too.

They did some weird stuff like FR-Minus 6, I think was the one (ghettorocker), which is all video clips played forwards and backwards.