Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Okay I'm back and I think they're trying to rip me off... I don't need a catalytic converter, they say I need a PRE-catalytic converter. And they're charging an insane amount for it. Any of you car dudes know what this is? And id you do, average price maybe?
    Yes, precat's are used on more modern cars (although my 92 300ZXTT had them)

They are used at like VERY immediate startup, they are designed to heat up instantly and provide emissions burnoff until the main cats warm up and basically take over.

Is your car putting out too much "junk" instantly at startup?

edit: cost shouldn't be more than $50-80, if it is then get aftermarket. Depending on the car they can be a total pain to install though, most are right up underneath the engine or bolted directly to it and the exhaust is attached to that

May have missed in the thread, what year/model do you have?

I have a 97 probe.. is it a required part or w/e like can it be replaced by something else? This guy is saying 400-600 bucks.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I have a 97 probe.. is it a required part or w/e like can it be replaced by something else? This guy is saying 400-600 bucks.
    It really can't be 'replaced' in a emissions-testing state by anything, but you can go off-brand...

First 3 places I checked on the internet were $500-700, then I went to http://www.carpartswholesale.com and found for between 90 and 220 (more what I expected), however those are main cats... None of the sites listed a precat at all, do you have a 4cyl(2.0L) or V6(2.5L)?

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    It really can't be 'replaced' in a emissions-testing state by anything, but you can go off-brand...

First 3 places I checked on the internet were $500-700, then I went to http://www.carpartswholesale.com and found for between 90 and 220 (more what I expected), however those are main cats... None of the sites listed a precat at all, do you have a 4cyl(2.0L) or V6(2.5L)?
    I THINK it's a 6. It's at a different mechanics shop that i'm friends with or I'd check. I just was informed that I have a Probe body but a Mazda 626 engine. Really need to talk to the previous owner, lol.

i pay the inspection guy 80 bucks to "make sure" that it pass ^^

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I THINK it's a 6. It's at a different mechanics shop that i'm friends with or I'd check. I just was informed that I have a Probe body but a Mazda 626 engine. Really need to talk to the previous owner, lol.
    That doesn't sound all that wierd, the probe and 626 were like the same car for a few years...same as the Navajo and Explorer, B150 and Ranger

Mazda and Ford were married for awhile and shared alot of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighty
    i pay the inspection guy 80 bucks to "make sure" that it pass ^^
    When I was a kid my father would take me to Yonkers to "Pick up" an inspection sticker. Doesn't work anymore in a lot of places

I know in NY the stations are connected to the DMV in Alabany. It's a FTL situation.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

That doesn't sound all that wierd, the probe and 626 were like the same car for a few years...same as the Navajo and Explorer, B150 and Ranger

Mazda and Ford were married for awhile and shared alot of junk.

This is a fact. I had a Ford Probe for a while and yeah its a Ford Body with a Mazda Engine. Try ordering engine parts for it like I had to, they will come in a box that has Ford logo on it with a Made in Japan sticker on it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by State of California
    To help California meet federal Clean Air Act requirements, the Department of Consumer Affairs / Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR) assists qualified vechicle owners whos vehicles fail Smog Check and need repair. You may qualify for repair assistance if your vehicle was directed to a Test-Only station, regardless of your income. In addition, repair assistance is available to qualifying income-eligible motorists regardless of where your vehicle is tested. Repair assistance is available on for biennial (every other year) Smog Checks that are required to renew your vehicle registration with the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). It is not available upon change of ownership or initial registration of a vehicle. To get an application and see if you and your vehicle qualify, visit http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov or call toll free at 1-800-952-5210. YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE APPROVED BEFORE YOU RECEIVE REPAIR ASSISTANCE.
    This is from a California Vehicle Inspection Report document, but I would not doubt that most other states have a similar program for funding repairs of vehicles that have failed emissions tests. I would definitely look into that.