+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Inspections     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Car Inspections

lol weird topic but I went to get my car inspected today and failed for emissions. Anybody else ever encounter this before? I'm curious how much it takes to fix it or lower it or whatever you need to do. Really hope it isn't retarded expensive.

a new catalytic converter is likely what you'll need, maybe new spark plugs.

you're probably running rich on your CO2

I would be honest in saying that it wont be cheap eitherway, thats provided its not something simple and cheap like needing new spark plugs.

Car probably just needs a tune-up.

Don't laugh at this. I had a 1996 Geo Tracker (Too get to school and work I swear). Well when I had to go get it inspected I took it to the shops that does all the work on my parents cars. He looked at it and said it'll fail inspections. Told me to bring it to Chevy and have them clean it out. Chevy who charged me $500 dumped liquid in the engine and left my car running to burn it all out. I got my money back after they took off the inspection sticker and said they're gonna call the cops on me if I drive off (which I did). Took it to Yonkers where I went to my buddy's brothers place who replaced everything pipe wise (didn't touch catalytic converter). Well when they put it up it passed.

I suggest you bring it to a shop who knows what they're doing (someone you can trust). What's ever better is after all of this my clutch burnt out 3 weeks later...I was able to sell it for $100 to some 16yr. old.

Anyway, are you in New York? I didn't know they're doing emissions anywhere else

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

california too i think. When i was car shopping recently there were a few cars in the lot that said right on the sticker "failed to meet california emissions" lol

Jersey. I'm in same situation, it's a shit car I use to get to work/school, lol. Fuckin 97 probe. Funny thing is it's been running pretty good lately and I was optimistic then I get failed for the bullshit emissions thing and my front tire is shitty. I really hope it's not alot of cash lol. I just got 3 tickets, 1 for a headlight that went out while I was driving and got pulled over like 10 minutes later... then a ticket for overdue inspection and registration, haha. Both were by like 3 days(expired sept). Total = 248 bucks.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

get your shit off the books.

I used to have a 95 Mercury Sable, I got 2 tickets on the same night once when I was in a rush to make a wake. I got pulled over the first time for going 59 in a 40, and then 47 in a 35, by a different cop. I never made the wake. Was the gayest shit I had ever experienced. And since I'm an emotionless man I can't wriggle my way out of anything.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

When I was a mechanic, people used to take cars to my boss' shop for us to tune to run on the lean side (more air, less fuel in the mixture) so they could pass emissions. Then they get it tested, bring it back to us, we tune it back to running good. Works great for cars just falling into the California emissions laws, which I think is 1974 and older? I forget. It was a classic british shop, so mostly 1950's~1970's british sports cars, all carburated and manual, none o' that EFI shit.

P.S. I believe California emissions laws are the strictest in the country. It was just a few years ago that they passed some new damn law that required even more detailed testing for greenhouse gas emissions under different amounts of strain on the motor. If any other CA residents noticed their SMOG check places have big wheels inset in the ground for your tires to rest on, while they tie your shit up and basically run it on a treadmill (if they don't, they are doing it illegally). Lucky for us, this requirement made it even more costly to get your car 'SMOG'ed. Awesome.

Usually, if your car does not pass, for whatever reason, you can take it to a mechanic that does smog repairs, and they can fix it so it will pass, and however much you spend on repairs to make it pass emissions will carry over to cover the cost of the SMOG check itself (ask the smog check dudes for a shop that will do it). I think. I had to do something like that a while back on my piece of shit '89 Range Rover, but cars haven't really lasted me over a year each lately so I haven't been to an emissions test in a while. Heh. Cars and I have a love/hate relationship. :\

I know over here it's not that major a job if it fails its MOT (our annual car inspection / governmental fleecing of your hard earned cash) on emissions to just tweak what it's running at so it gets through. Mine's failed on it before and not cost me (or my mother who was actually paying) too much to get sorted out - well "not too much" in terms of what you pay in the UK to actually RUN a car.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

isnt there something you can buy to put in your gas that garuntees an emission inspection pass?

i dont really remember seeing how 1989 civic doesnt need to pass emissions, but its worth a shot to look into. better to pay 13 bucks over a new cat. conv. which is a nice chuck of change

Quote Originally Posted by Xiona
    isnt there something you can buy to put in your gas that garuntees an emission inspection pass?

i dont really remember seeing how 1989 civic doesnt need to pass emissions, but its worth a shot to look into. better to pay 13 bucks over a new cat. conv. which is a nice chuck of change
    would love the name of this miraculous product, pleeeease

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Mass. also has emissions inspections but my family has connections in the area so I never have to worry about failing inspection.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Jersey. I'm in same situation, it's a shit car I use to get to work/school, lol. Fuckin 97 probe. Funny thing is it's been running pretty good lately and I was optimistic then I get failed for the bullshit emissions thing and my front tire is shitty. I really hope it's not alot of cash lol. I just got 3 tickets, 1 for a headlight that went out while I was driving and got pulled over like 10 minutes later... then a ticket for overdue inspection and registration, haha. Both were by like 3 days(expired sept). Total = 248 bucks.
    I'm in jersey too, but i've never had that problem. I guess cause i've been leasing new cars for a while now, dont need to deal with all that bullshit. So much easier, keep a car for a little while, then when bored of it, get something new.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

goto Walmart or Autozone and check the isle with the gas boosters, it should be there.

to the crack in the windshield thing, i forget where but i remember reading if you have a busted/cracked windshield youll obviosly fail inspection, but it you take the windshield out youll pass (not sure what state this applies to).

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hint, dont do anything.

You have 3 tries to pass untill you pay, yes?

Ok, my dads friend is a mechanic, I had the same prob, he said yes to the catalytic converter, but said before I get a new one, go in and test again.

The trick is to go earlly in the morning, on you cars first run of the day.

The cold air, plus your car not running over night will make the CO2 levels drop like a rock, it will act normally. If its later in the day, and you have been using your car all day, youll fail.

So try that before you buy anything.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

As usual I'm the only one to vouch for Chicago.

We have emissions tests here too, and they're very strict about it.

but my '00 Protege passed 8)

I think there's a cut off to take the test, like 95 and over have to take it...Thanks.

I'd bring it in early in the morn. that sounds like a good idea and if not, sell it asap to some teenager!

Minnesota had emission standards until Jesse Ventura was our governor.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Can use 106+ octane booster, put a full bottle in with like 1/4 tank left. Drive 10-15 miles to ensure it has made it's way into the engine. I'd recommend that for any test ever, just guarantees you save time.

Also, 90% of emissions failures are just O2 sensors, which can range from like $40-$400...and if anyone charges more than like $40 to put one in it's a fucking rip.

If you are failing "cold start" emissions then it's likely your catalytic converter if you have over like...75,000 miles.

Okay I'm back and I think they're trying to rip me off... I don't need a catalytic converter, they say I need a PRE-catalytic converter. And they're charging an insane amount for it. Any of you car dudes know what this is? And id you do, average price maybe?